Falmouth Cruise Ship Pier Officially Opens In Jamaica
Last week the world's largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into Jamaica's newest US$ 269 million port; the Falmouth Pier in Trelawny, to celebrate the official opening, along with 6,000 tourists enjoying Jamaica holidays at the time.
Jamaica’s “most modern and elaborate” port celebrated its official opening last week as the world’s largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into the Falmouth Cruise Pier carrying 6,000 passengers to their Jamaica holidays.
The opening of the Falmouth Cruise Pier in Trelawny, which is still under construction and cost approximately US$269 million, took place on Tuesday 22nd March, 2011 and was attended by thousands of onlookers who had also come to watch the huge cruise liner sail into port.
The Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) organised the opening of the new pier in partnership with owners of the Oasis of the Seas, Royal Caribbean International.
Prime Minister Bruce Golding addressed the large crowd at the opening ceremony and said: “Cabinet gave approval for the project in 2008, and here we are today, some two and a half years later, celebrating this milestone.
Golding added that the new port represented a new level of investment in Falmouth and the Jamaica holidays industry, and praised the Royal Caribbean for its commitment.
“There are many projects, I know, that were launched about the same time and when the global recession hit … (but) despite all of those challenges, Royal Caribbean remained steadfast in their commitment and, today we celebrate the birth of this fantastic facility - the dawn of a new day for Falmouth and Jamaica,” he stated.
Though the pier was still a work in progress, the Jamaica's Prime Minister was pleased with the results achieved so far.
“If you look around, you will see that there is work in progress, if you walk into the town, work is ongoing, but there is more work that has to be done,” he said.
“To be very honest with you, what I saw when I came this morning, I didn’t know that it would be possible, but the team has done a marvellous job in getting all of that in place.”
Golding mentioned that the sewerage plan for the town would need to be significantly improved to serve Falmouth’s capacity and help an increasing number of travellers arrive to their holidays in Jamaica and a substantial level of investment would be required to ensure this happens.
He added: “There are people who are going to want to go to Falmouth, take in Vision 2030 and decide that it is not Jamaica, but Falmouth that is the place to live, work, raise your families and do business.”
Jamaica hotels in the Georgian town of Falmouth will welcome the expected influx of travellers who will arrive for their holidays to Jamaica aboard an array of luxury cruise liners.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...