Falmouth Cruise Ship Pier Officially Opens In Jamaica
Last week the world's largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into Jamaica's newest US$ 269 million port; the Falmouth Pier in Trelawny, to celebrate the official opening, along with 6,000 tourists enjoying Jamaica holidays at the time.
Jamaica’s “most modern and elaborate” port celebrated its official opening last week as the world’s largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into the Falmouth Cruise Pier carrying 6,000 passengers to their Jamaica holidays.
The opening of the Falmouth Cruise Pier in Trelawny, which is still under construction and cost approximately US$269 million, took place on Tuesday 22nd March, 2011 and was attended by thousands of onlookers who had also come to watch the huge cruise liner sail into port.
The Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) organised the opening of the new pier in partnership with owners of the Oasis of the Seas, Royal Caribbean International.
Prime Minister Bruce Golding addressed the large crowd at the opening ceremony and said: “Cabinet gave approval for the project in 2008, and here we are today, some two and a half years later, celebrating this milestone.
Golding added that the new port represented a new level of investment in Falmouth and the Jamaica holidays industry, and praised the Royal Caribbean for its commitment.
“There are many projects, I know, that were launched about the same time and when the global recession hit … (but) despite all of those challenges, Royal Caribbean remained steadfast in their commitment and, today we celebrate the birth of this fantastic facility - the dawn of a new day for Falmouth and Jamaica,” he stated.
Though the pier was still a work in progress, the Jamaica's Prime Minister was pleased with the results achieved so far.
“If you look around, you will see that there is work in progress, if you walk into the town, work is ongoing, but there is more work that has to be done,” he said.
“To be very honest with you, what I saw when I came this morning, I didn’t know that it would be possible, but the team has done a marvellous job in getting all of that in place.”
Golding mentioned that the sewerage plan for the town would need to be significantly improved to serve Falmouth’s capacity and help an increasing number of travellers arrive to their holidays in Jamaica and a substantial level of investment would be required to ensure this happens.
He added: “There are people who are going to want to go to Falmouth, take in Vision 2030 and decide that it is not Jamaica, but Falmouth that is the place to live, work, raise your families and do business.”
Jamaica hotels in the Georgian town of Falmouth will welcome the expected influx of travellers who will arrive for their holidays to Jamaica aboard an array of luxury cruise liners.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...