Falmouth Cruise Ship Pier Officially Opens In Jamaica
Last week the world's largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into Jamaica's newest US$ 269 million port; the Falmouth Pier in Trelawny, to celebrate the official opening, along with 6,000 tourists enjoying Jamaica holidays at the time.
Jamaica’s “most modern and elaborate” port celebrated its official opening last week as the world’s largest cruise vessel, Oasis of the Seas, sailed into the Falmouth Cruise Pier carrying 6,000 passengers to their Jamaica holidays.
The opening of the Falmouth Cruise Pier in Trelawny, which is still under construction and cost approximately US$269 million, took place on Tuesday 22nd March, 2011 and was attended by thousands of onlookers who had also come to watch the huge cruise liner sail into port.
The Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) organised the opening of the new pier in partnership with owners of the Oasis of the Seas, Royal Caribbean International.
Prime Minister Bruce Golding addressed the large crowd at the opening ceremony and said: “Cabinet gave approval for the project in 2008, and here we are today, some two and a half years later, celebrating this milestone.
Golding added that the new port represented a new level of investment in Falmouth and the Jamaica holidays industry, and praised the Royal Caribbean for its commitment.
“There are many projects, I know, that were launched about the same time and when the global recession hit … (but) despite all of those challenges, Royal Caribbean remained steadfast in their commitment and, today we celebrate the birth of this fantastic facility - the dawn of a new day for Falmouth and Jamaica,” he stated.
Though the pier was still a work in progress, the Jamaica's Prime Minister was pleased with the results achieved so far.
“If you look around, you will see that there is work in progress, if you walk into the town, work is ongoing, but there is more work that has to be done,” he said.
“To be very honest with you, what I saw when I came this morning, I didn’t know that it would be possible, but the team has done a marvellous job in getting all of that in place.”
Golding mentioned that the sewerage plan for the town would need to be significantly improved to serve Falmouth’s capacity and help an increasing number of travellers arrive to their holidays in Jamaica and a substantial level of investment would be required to ensure this happens.
He added: “There are people who are going to want to go to Falmouth, take in Vision 2030 and decide that it is not Jamaica, but Falmouth that is the place to live, work, raise your families and do business.”
Jamaica hotels in the Georgian town of Falmouth will welcome the expected influx of travellers who will arrive for their holidays to Jamaica aboard an array of luxury cruise liners.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...