British Government Freezes Air Passenger Duty for 12 Months
Finance Minister, George Osbourne, delivered some good news to travellers planning Caribbean holidays after he announced during his budget statement last week that the British Government would be freezing Air Passenger Duty for 12 months.
Travellers planning Caribbean holidays were pleased to hear that Air Passenger Duty would not be going up this year, when George Osbourne delivered his budget statement last week.
Britain’s Finance Minister delivered his budget on 23rd March, during which he addressed the APD tax and announced that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months.
The tax had already recently been increased adding further expenses to holidays in the Caribbean and causing concern for many Caribbean countries, and in addition, it was also due to face a further increase in November, 2011.
The Secretary General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Hugh Riley, said that he had hoped that Osbourne would be reducing APD so that more British and European travellers would book their Caribbean holidays.
Though the tax was not reduced, the freeze came as good news to those who had booked or were planning on booking holidays to the Caribbean over the next few months.
Director General and CEO of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Giovanni Bisignani, said: “This is good news for Britain, its businesses, visitors and its holiday-makers. I congratulate the Chancellor on his wise decision at this critical time of rising oil prices. He has begun to address the falling competitiveness of the UK aviation sector at least by not making the APD situation worse. But much more needs to be done. Air passenger taxes in this island nation, which relies on air transport for connectivity, are still the highest in the world.”
He added: “We oppose misguided efforts on the EU ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme). But if it comes into place the UK APD must go completely. Even without the planned increase, the UK collects more than GBP 2 billion pounds annually in the name of the environment through APD. That is enough to offset the entire annual carbon footprint of the UK aviation sector four times over.”
Despite this tax freeze, British travellers have been paying 12 times more APD on EU flights than Britain’s neighbours. APD was first established in 1994 and since its introduction the government has increased the tax by an incredible 2,600 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...