British Government Freezes Air Passenger Duty for 12 Months
Finance Minister, George Osbourne, delivered some good news to travellers planning Caribbean holidays after he announced during his budget statement last week that the British Government would be freezing Air Passenger Duty for 12 months.
Travellers planning Caribbean holidays were pleased to hear that Air Passenger Duty would not be going up this year, when George Osbourne delivered his budget statement last week.
Britain’s Finance Minister delivered his budget on 23rd March, during which he addressed the APD tax and announced that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months.
The tax had already recently been increased adding further expenses to holidays in the Caribbean and causing concern for many Caribbean countries, and in addition, it was also due to face a further increase in November, 2011.
The Secretary General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Hugh Riley, said that he had hoped that Osbourne would be reducing APD so that more British and European travellers would book their Caribbean holidays.
Though the tax was not reduced, the freeze came as good news to those who had booked or were planning on booking holidays to the Caribbean over the next few months.
Director General and CEO of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Giovanni Bisignani, said: “This is good news for Britain, its businesses, visitors and its holiday-makers. I congratulate the Chancellor on his wise decision at this critical time of rising oil prices. He has begun to address the falling competitiveness of the UK aviation sector at least by not making the APD situation worse. But much more needs to be done. Air passenger taxes in this island nation, which relies on air transport for connectivity, are still the highest in the world.”
He added: “We oppose misguided efforts on the EU ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme). But if it comes into place the UK APD must go completely. Even without the planned increase, the UK collects more than GBP 2 billion pounds annually in the name of the environment through APD. That is enough to offset the entire annual carbon footprint of the UK aviation sector four times over.”
Despite this tax freeze, British travellers have been paying 12 times more APD on EU flights than Britain’s neighbours. APD was first established in 1994 and since its introduction the government has increased the tax by an incredible 2,600 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...