British Government Freezes Air Passenger Duty for 12 Months
Finance Minister, George Osbourne, delivered some good news to travellers planning Caribbean holidays after he announced during his budget statement last week that the British Government would be freezing Air Passenger Duty for 12 months.
Travellers planning Caribbean holidays were pleased to hear that Air Passenger Duty would not be going up this year, when George Osbourne delivered his budget statement last week.
Britain’s Finance Minister delivered his budget on 23rd March, during which he addressed the APD tax and announced that the British Government would be freezing APD for 12 months.
The tax had already recently been increased adding further expenses to holidays in the Caribbean and causing concern for many Caribbean countries, and in addition, it was also due to face a further increase in November, 2011.
The Secretary General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Hugh Riley, said that he had hoped that Osbourne would be reducing APD so that more British and European travellers would book their Caribbean holidays.
Though the tax was not reduced, the freeze came as good news to those who had booked or were planning on booking holidays to the Caribbean over the next few months.
Director General and CEO of the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Giovanni Bisignani, said: “This is good news for Britain, its businesses, visitors and its holiday-makers. I congratulate the Chancellor on his wise decision at this critical time of rising oil prices. He has begun to address the falling competitiveness of the UK aviation sector at least by not making the APD situation worse. But much more needs to be done. Air passenger taxes in this island nation, which relies on air transport for connectivity, are still the highest in the world.”
He added: “We oppose misguided efforts on the EU ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme). But if it comes into place the UK APD must go completely. Even without the planned increase, the UK collects more than GBP 2 billion pounds annually in the name of the environment through APD. That is enough to offset the entire annual carbon footprint of the UK aviation sector four times over.”
Despite this tax freeze, British travellers have been paying 12 times more APD on EU flights than Britain’s neighbours. APD was first established in 1994 and since its introduction the government has increased the tax by an incredible 2,600 per cent.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...