Cuba Picks Up its Tourism Game with Opening of New Cuba Hotels and Restaurants
As the Obama administration eases restrictions for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, many provincial towns are introducing new tourist services for the expected influx of visitors, including new restaurants and hotels.
New Cuba hotels and restaurants are opening up across provincial towns throughout the Caribbean island in preparation for the predicted influx of tourists from the U.S. who will be going on holidays to Cuba this year.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes. This change to the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo followed last year’s decision to allow unlimited Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents.
Many “mum-and-dad businesses” (businesses typically owned and run by members of a family), are booming in towns and cities across Cuba after President Raul Castro’s reform to boost private enterprise.
The port city of Cienfuegos is one example of these booming areas with an additional 14 private restaurants opening within a period of just a few months. Locals say that there are now over 100 home-based B&B-style Cuba hotels in the city. Tourists visiting the city during their holidays in Cuba will now be able to choose from outlets serving pizza, pastries, coffee and refreshing drinks, while they explore the local attractions.
"Competition means you have to improve your service and that's a good thing, everyone gains, you, the tourists and the country," said Orestes Toledo, the owner of the Perla Hostel, a two-room bed and breakfast which overlooks the bay.
"Now even the state will have to shape up," he added.
Cienfuegos is situated 270 km from Cuba’s capital city of Havana, and it is often passed through by foreign tourists who are heading to the beach resort of Varadero during their Cuba holidays or when en-route to Cuba’s eastern and second most important city of Santiago.
Former forest ranger, Tony Azorlin, said: "I think a lot of people are going to open restaurants. I calculate you might eventually see 40 or 50 and a lot of cafes."
"I think there is a market for that many, as long as tourism holds up," he added.
Since Castro lifted restrictions in October, 2010, claiming that small business were vital to the country's future, over 75,000 self-employment licenses have been granted to Cuban residents.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...