Cuba Picks Up its Tourism Game with Opening of New Cuba Hotels and Restaurants
As the Obama administration eases restrictions for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, many provincial towns are introducing new tourist services for the expected influx of visitors, including new restaurants and hotels.
New Cuba hotels and restaurants are opening up across provincial towns throughout the Caribbean island in preparation for the predicted influx of tourists from the U.S. who will be going on holidays to Cuba this year.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes. This change to the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo followed last year’s decision to allow unlimited Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents.
Many “mum-and-dad businesses” (businesses typically owned and run by members of a family), are booming in towns and cities across Cuba after President Raul Castro’s reform to boost private enterprise.
The port city of Cienfuegos is one example of these booming areas with an additional 14 private restaurants opening within a period of just a few months. Locals say that there are now over 100 home-based B&B-style Cuba hotels in the city. Tourists visiting the city during their holidays in Cuba will now be able to choose from outlets serving pizza, pastries, coffee and refreshing drinks, while they explore the local attractions.
"Competition means you have to improve your service and that's a good thing, everyone gains, you, the tourists and the country," said Orestes Toledo, the owner of the Perla Hostel, a two-room bed and breakfast which overlooks the bay.
"Now even the state will have to shape up," he added.
Cienfuegos is situated 270 km from Cuba’s capital city of Havana, and it is often passed through by foreign tourists who are heading to the beach resort of Varadero during their Cuba holidays or when en-route to Cuba’s eastern and second most important city of Santiago.
Former forest ranger, Tony Azorlin, said: "I think a lot of people are going to open restaurants. I calculate you might eventually see 40 or 50 and a lot of cafes."
"I think there is a market for that many, as long as tourism holds up," he added.
Since Castro lifted restrictions in October, 2010, claiming that small business were vital to the country's future, over 75,000 self-employment licenses have been granted to Cuban residents.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...