Cuba Picks Up its Tourism Game with Opening of New Cuba Hotels and Restaurants
As the Obama administration eases restrictions for American travellers taking Cuba holidays, many provincial towns are introducing new tourist services for the expected influx of visitors, including new restaurants and hotels.
New Cuba hotels and restaurants are opening up across provincial towns throughout the Caribbean island in preparation for the predicted influx of tourists from the U.S. who will be going on holidays to Cuba this year.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes. This change to the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo followed last year’s decision to allow unlimited Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents.
Many “mum-and-dad businesses” (businesses typically owned and run by members of a family), are booming in towns and cities across Cuba after President Raul Castro’s reform to boost private enterprise.
The port city of Cienfuegos is one example of these booming areas with an additional 14 private restaurants opening within a period of just a few months. Locals say that there are now over 100 home-based B&B-style Cuba hotels in the city. Tourists visiting the city during their holidays in Cuba will now be able to choose from outlets serving pizza, pastries, coffee and refreshing drinks, while they explore the local attractions.
"Competition means you have to improve your service and that's a good thing, everyone gains, you, the tourists and the country," said Orestes Toledo, the owner of the Perla Hostel, a two-room bed and breakfast which overlooks the bay.
"Now even the state will have to shape up," he added.
Cienfuegos is situated 270 km from Cuba’s capital city of Havana, and it is often passed through by foreign tourists who are heading to the beach resort of Varadero during their Cuba holidays or when en-route to Cuba’s eastern and second most important city of Santiago.
Former forest ranger, Tony Azorlin, said: "I think a lot of people are going to open restaurants. I calculate you might eventually see 40 or 50 and a lot of cafes."
"I think there is a market for that many, as long as tourism holds up," he added.
Since Castro lifted restrictions in October, 2010, claiming that small business were vital to the country's future, over 75,000 self-employment licenses have been granted to Cuban residents.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...