CARICOM's Acting Secretary General Voices Concerns over UK Air Passenger Tax
The acting Secretary General of CARICOM addressed delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit which was recently held in Brussels about the increase of the UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it will have on Caribbean holidays.
Lolita Applewhaite, the acting Secretary General of CARICOM, has outlined the organisation’s concerns over the increase of the UK’s Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it is likely to have on Caribbean tourism.
Applewhaite spoke to delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit in Brussels last Monday about the increases in aviation taxes for travellers from the UK who are taking Caribbean holidays.
“We view the APD as discriminatory against Caribbean destinations and Caribbean people living in the United Kingdom seeking to travel to the region,” she said.
The aviation taxes were described as a tax on the Caribbean by Applewhaite who stressed how important tourism is to the economy of the Caribbean, and though it might generate money for the UK, it could have a severe impact on the future of the Caribbean’s tourism sector including local businesses and Caribbean hotels.
“It is clear that even if the particular design problems that the Caribbean is seeking to have addressed in relation to the UK APD are resolved, this tax could be only the tip of the iceberg that may eventually come to include all aviation and maritime transport,” - Applewhaite stated - “Similar unilateral measures have also been introduced by other countries in Europe.”
The APD must be paid by all passengers departing from airport in the UK and in 2009/2010 it generated £1.9 billion in revenue for UK. The tax was initially introduced in 1994 as a “green tax” in a bid to decrease the impact the aviation had on the environment, however, according to the a statement from the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, there is no indication as to how this money has been applied to the cause.
In 2009, the Labour Government in the UK changed the APD’s banding system based on how far a capital of a country was from London. The further people travel, the more APD they have to pay, and this amount is doubled for a seat in a premium class.
This has already impacted the way travellers book their vacations with many travellers choosing destinations closer to home over holidays to the Caribbean with the APD costing passengers between £60 and £75.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...