CARICOM's Acting Secretary General Voices Concerns over UK Air Passenger Tax
The acting Secretary General of CARICOM addressed delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit which was recently held in Brussels about the increase of the UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it will have on Caribbean holidays.
Lolita Applewhaite, the acting Secretary General of CARICOM, has outlined the organisation’s concerns over the increase of the UK’s Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it is likely to have on Caribbean tourism.
Applewhaite spoke to delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit in Brussels last Monday about the increases in aviation taxes for travellers from the UK who are taking Caribbean holidays.
“We view the APD as discriminatory against Caribbean destinations and Caribbean people living in the United Kingdom seeking to travel to the region,” she said.
The aviation taxes were described as a tax on the Caribbean by Applewhaite who stressed how important tourism is to the economy of the Caribbean, and though it might generate money for the UK, it could have a severe impact on the future of the Caribbean’s tourism sector including local businesses and Caribbean hotels.
“It is clear that even if the particular design problems that the Caribbean is seeking to have addressed in relation to the UK APD are resolved, this tax could be only the tip of the iceberg that may eventually come to include all aviation and maritime transport,” - Applewhaite stated - “Similar unilateral measures have also been introduced by other countries in Europe.”
The APD must be paid by all passengers departing from airport in the UK and in 2009/2010 it generated £1.9 billion in revenue for UK. The tax was initially introduced in 1994 as a “green tax” in a bid to decrease the impact the aviation had on the environment, however, according to the a statement from the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, there is no indication as to how this money has been applied to the cause.
In 2009, the Labour Government in the UK changed the APD’s banding system based on how far a capital of a country was from London. The further people travel, the more APD they have to pay, and this amount is doubled for a seat in a premium class.
This has already impacted the way travellers book their vacations with many travellers choosing destinations closer to home over holidays to the Caribbean with the APD costing passengers between £60 and £75.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...