CARICOM's Acting Secretary General Voices Concerns over UK Air Passenger Tax
The acting Secretary General of CARICOM addressed delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit which was recently held in Brussels about the increase of the UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it will have on Caribbean holidays.
Lolita Applewhaite, the acting Secretary General of CARICOM, has outlined the organisation’s concerns over the increase of the UK’s Air Passenger Duty (APD) and the impact it is likely to have on Caribbean tourism.
Applewhaite spoke to delegates of the first ever Caribbean Tourism Summit in Brussels last Monday about the increases in aviation taxes for travellers from the UK who are taking Caribbean holidays.
“We view the APD as discriminatory against Caribbean destinations and Caribbean people living in the United Kingdom seeking to travel to the region,” she said.
The aviation taxes were described as a tax on the Caribbean by Applewhaite who stressed how important tourism is to the economy of the Caribbean, and though it might generate money for the UK, it could have a severe impact on the future of the Caribbean’s tourism sector including local businesses and Caribbean hotels.
“It is clear that even if the particular design problems that the Caribbean is seeking to have addressed in relation to the UK APD are resolved, this tax could be only the tip of the iceberg that may eventually come to include all aviation and maritime transport,” - Applewhaite stated - “Similar unilateral measures have also been introduced by other countries in Europe.”
The APD must be paid by all passengers departing from airport in the UK and in 2009/2010 it generated £1.9 billion in revenue for UK. The tax was initially introduced in 1994 as a “green tax” in a bid to decrease the impact the aviation had on the environment, however, according to the a statement from the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism, there is no indication as to how this money has been applied to the cause.
In 2009, the Labour Government in the UK changed the APD’s banding system based on how far a capital of a country was from London. The further people travel, the more APD they have to pay, and this amount is doubled for a seat in a premium class.
This has already impacted the way travellers book their vacations with many travellers choosing destinations closer to home over holidays to the Caribbean with the APD costing passengers between £60 and £75.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...