Southwest Airlines Considering New Flights to The Bahamas
Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new affordable flights to provide Bahamas holidays for travellers and boost tourism to the Caribbean island, following a recent announcement from its Chief Executive Officer, Gary Kelly.
Customers of Southwest Airline may soon be able to take their Bahamas holidays with the airline after the company's Chief Executive Officer indicated that they are planning to offer flights to the Bahamas.
The CEO, Gary Kelly, said that the airline wants to introduce a new programme which could potentially include new destinations such as Hawaii and Alaska, plus international destinations like the Bahamas.
If the flights get the go-ahead, travellers will be able to enjoy more affordable routes for their holidays in The Bahamas and the Caribbean island looks set to receive a welcomed boost in tourism and its economy as more visitors book Bahamas hotels, excursions, tours and visit the island’s attractions.
Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation, has indicated that there could be a few new carriers who would provide flights for the Bahamas holidays industry.
Last year, an announcement was made by Southwest Airlines that it had reached a definitive agreement to purchase Air Tran Airways, another low-cost airline in the United States, for $1.42 billion. Air Tran Airways offers direct flights between Nassau and the United States and provide flights for four other countries in the Caribbean. The new agreement would enable Southwest Airlines to integrate these routes with their own.
David Johnson, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Tourism, explained: "Southwest (is) one of the smartest (airlines), and in terms of financially sound carriers, they are perhaps the leading one in the US today.
"We anticipate that they value the Air Tran routes -- in which we are one -- and we will work very closely with them in terms of initiating conversation with them very shortly in regards to how they might enhance their service to The Bahamas."
A spokesperson from Southwest Airlines said that the company is not yet in a position to discuss the new route to The Bahamas because a deal was waiting on regulators’ approval.
Kelly added that the new deal would "provide access to key near-international leisure markets in the Caribbean."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...