Southwest Airlines Considering New Flights to The Bahamas
Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new affordable flights to provide Bahamas holidays for travellers and boost tourism to the Caribbean island, following a recent announcement from its Chief Executive Officer, Gary Kelly.
Customers of Southwest Airline may soon be able to take their Bahamas holidays with the airline after the company's Chief Executive Officer indicated that they are planning to offer flights to the Bahamas.
The CEO, Gary Kelly, said that the airline wants to introduce a new programme which could potentially include new destinations such as Hawaii and Alaska, plus international destinations like the Bahamas.
If the flights get the go-ahead, travellers will be able to enjoy more affordable routes for their holidays in The Bahamas and the Caribbean island looks set to receive a welcomed boost in tourism and its economy as more visitors book Bahamas hotels, excursions, tours and visit the island’s attractions.
Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation, has indicated that there could be a few new carriers who would provide flights for the Bahamas holidays industry.
Last year, an announcement was made by Southwest Airlines that it had reached a definitive agreement to purchase Air Tran Airways, another low-cost airline in the United States, for $1.42 billion. Air Tran Airways offers direct flights between Nassau and the United States and provide flights for four other countries in the Caribbean. The new agreement would enable Southwest Airlines to integrate these routes with their own.
David Johnson, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Tourism, explained: "Southwest (is) one of the smartest (airlines), and in terms of financially sound carriers, they are perhaps the leading one in the US today.
"We anticipate that they value the Air Tran routes -- in which we are one -- and we will work very closely with them in terms of initiating conversation with them very shortly in regards to how they might enhance their service to The Bahamas."
A spokesperson from Southwest Airlines said that the company is not yet in a position to discuss the new route to The Bahamas because a deal was waiting on regulators’ approval.
Kelly added that the new deal would "provide access to key near-international leisure markets in the Caribbean."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...