Southwest Airlines Considering New Flights to The Bahamas
Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new affordable flights to provide Bahamas holidays for travellers and boost tourism to the Caribbean island, following a recent announcement from its Chief Executive Officer, Gary Kelly.
Customers of Southwest Airline may soon be able to take their Bahamas holidays with the airline after the company's Chief Executive Officer indicated that they are planning to offer flights to the Bahamas.
The CEO, Gary Kelly, said that the airline wants to introduce a new programme which could potentially include new destinations such as Hawaii and Alaska, plus international destinations like the Bahamas.
If the flights get the go-ahead, travellers will be able to enjoy more affordable routes for their holidays in The Bahamas and the Caribbean island looks set to receive a welcomed boost in tourism and its economy as more visitors book Bahamas hotels, excursions, tours and visit the island’s attractions.
Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation, has indicated that there could be a few new carriers who would provide flights for the Bahamas holidays industry.
Last year, an announcement was made by Southwest Airlines that it had reached a definitive agreement to purchase Air Tran Airways, another low-cost airline in the United States, for $1.42 billion. Air Tran Airways offers direct flights between Nassau and the United States and provide flights for four other countries in the Caribbean. The new agreement would enable Southwest Airlines to integrate these routes with their own.
David Johnson, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Tourism, explained: "Southwest (is) one of the smartest (airlines), and in terms of financially sound carriers, they are perhaps the leading one in the US today.
"We anticipate that they value the Air Tran routes -- in which we are one -- and we will work very closely with them in terms of initiating conversation with them very shortly in regards to how they might enhance their service to The Bahamas."
A spokesperson from Southwest Airlines said that the company is not yet in a position to discuss the new route to The Bahamas because a deal was waiting on regulators’ approval.
Kelly added that the new deal would "provide access to key near-international leisure markets in the Caribbean."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...