Southwest Airlines Considering New Flights to The Bahamas
Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new affordable flights to provide Bahamas holidays for travellers and boost tourism to the Caribbean island, following a recent announcement from its Chief Executive Officer, Gary Kelly.
Customers of Southwest Airline may soon be able to take their Bahamas holidays with the airline after the company's Chief Executive Officer indicated that they are planning to offer flights to the Bahamas.
The CEO, Gary Kelly, said that the airline wants to introduce a new programme which could potentially include new destinations such as Hawaii and Alaska, plus international destinations like the Bahamas.
If the flights get the go-ahead, travellers will be able to enjoy more affordable routes for their holidays in The Bahamas and the Caribbean island looks set to receive a welcomed boost in tourism and its economy as more visitors book Bahamas hotels, excursions, tours and visit the island’s attractions.
Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation, has indicated that there could be a few new carriers who would provide flights for the Bahamas holidays industry.
Last year, an announcement was made by Southwest Airlines that it had reached a definitive agreement to purchase Air Tran Airways, another low-cost airline in the United States, for $1.42 billion. Air Tran Airways offers direct flights between Nassau and the United States and provide flights for four other countries in the Caribbean. The new agreement would enable Southwest Airlines to integrate these routes with their own.
David Johnson, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Tourism, explained: "Southwest (is) one of the smartest (airlines), and in terms of financially sound carriers, they are perhaps the leading one in the US today.
"We anticipate that they value the Air Tran routes -- in which we are one -- and we will work very closely with them in terms of initiating conversation with them very shortly in regards to how they might enhance their service to The Bahamas."
A spokesperson from Southwest Airlines said that the company is not yet in a position to discuss the new route to The Bahamas because a deal was waiting on regulators’ approval.
Kelly added that the new deal would "provide access to key near-international leisure markets in the Caribbean."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Located just 150 yards from the pretty seaside promenade in the popular resort of Qawra, the Hotel Santana is ideally...
Discover the hidden treasure in Abu Dhabi that is Crowne Plaza in Yas Island. It is the ideal accommodation for those...