Southwest Airlines Considering New Flights to The Bahamas
Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new affordable flights to provide Bahamas holidays for travellers and boost tourism to the Caribbean island, following a recent announcement from its Chief Executive Officer, Gary Kelly.
Customers of Southwest Airline may soon be able to take their Bahamas holidays with the airline after the company's Chief Executive Officer indicated that they are planning to offer flights to the Bahamas.
The CEO, Gary Kelly, said that the airline wants to introduce a new programme which could potentially include new destinations such as Hawaii and Alaska, plus international destinations like the Bahamas.
If the flights get the go-ahead, travellers will be able to enjoy more affordable routes for their holidays in The Bahamas and the Caribbean island looks set to receive a welcomed boost in tourism and its economy as more visitors book Bahamas hotels, excursions, tours and visit the island’s attractions.
Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace, Minister of Tourism and Aviation, has indicated that there could be a few new carriers who would provide flights for the Bahamas holidays industry.
Last year, an announcement was made by Southwest Airlines that it had reached a definitive agreement to purchase Air Tran Airways, another low-cost airline in the United States, for $1.42 billion. Air Tran Airways offers direct flights between Nassau and the United States and provide flights for four other countries in the Caribbean. The new agreement would enable Southwest Airlines to integrate these routes with their own.
David Johnson, Acting Director General at the Ministry of Tourism, explained: "Southwest (is) one of the smartest (airlines), and in terms of financially sound carriers, they are perhaps the leading one in the US today.
"We anticipate that they value the Air Tran routes -- in which we are one -- and we will work very closely with them in terms of initiating conversation with them very shortly in regards to how they might enhance their service to The Bahamas."
A spokesperson from Southwest Airlines said that the company is not yet in a position to discuss the new route to The Bahamas because a deal was waiting on regulators’ approval.
Kelly added that the new deal would "provide access to key near-international leisure markets in the Caribbean."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...