Port and Ferry Operators Want to Offer Transport for Cuba Holidays
Ferry operators want to introduce a new and cheaper way for travellers to enjoy Cuba holidays by offering a deluxe ferry boat service which would depart from Florida and carry passengers and their luggage to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
Florida port officials and ferry operators are pushing the Obama administration to allow them to provide transport for Cuba holidays onboard luxury slow ferries which will operate between Florida and Cuba.
As several airports are granted permission to provide charter flights for travellers taking holidays to Cuba, ferry operators are now looking to jump on the Cuba travel bandwagon by offering cheaper travel options to the Caribbean island.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes, several airports are now planning their new routes to Cuba including Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Ferry operators are keen to provide an alternative option for travellers planning their holidays in Cuba and are planning to offer return ferry trips from Florida which will cost between $150 and $300.
The port promoters and ferry operators are also developing plans to provide ferry services to several other destinations throughout Mexico and the Caribbean.
Former cruise line executive, Bruce Nierenberg from Orlando, has applied to the U.S Treasury Department for permission to operate a low-cost Cuba ferry service from Port Everglades, Tampa and the Port of Miami.
"The Cuba part requires government approval, but we are talking about ferry service throughout the Caribbean," he said.
Nierenberg added that the ferries would carry approximately 1,200 passengers with prices starting from $150 for a reclining chair, and about $300 for a cabin
Wade Elliott, Senior Director of Marketing for the Tampa Port Authority, said: "Eventually, somebody is going to make this happen. And Tampa would be the right fit.
"We're ready. We have the terminal facilities. Whenever we get the green light, we will look for an opportunity to do it."
With nearly all of the flights to Cuba full for almost every trip, this could be the perfect time to introduce more affordable Cuba travel options for Americans travellers and Cuban-American who are returning home to visit their families.
The introduction of ferry services could also lead to a rise in Cuba hotels being built close to ports on the island to meet the demand of new tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...