Port and Ferry Operators Want to Offer Transport for Cuba Holidays
Ferry operators want to introduce a new and cheaper way for travellers to enjoy Cuba holidays by offering a deluxe ferry boat service which would depart from Florida and carry passengers and their luggage to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
Florida port officials and ferry operators are pushing the Obama administration to allow them to provide transport for Cuba holidays onboard luxury slow ferries which will operate between Florida and Cuba.
As several airports are granted permission to provide charter flights for travellers taking holidays to Cuba, ferry operators are now looking to jump on the Cuba travel bandwagon by offering cheaper travel options to the Caribbean island.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes, several airports are now planning their new routes to Cuba including Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Ferry operators are keen to provide an alternative option for travellers planning their holidays in Cuba and are planning to offer return ferry trips from Florida which will cost between $150 and $300.
The port promoters and ferry operators are also developing plans to provide ferry services to several other destinations throughout Mexico and the Caribbean.
Former cruise line executive, Bruce Nierenberg from Orlando, has applied to the U.S Treasury Department for permission to operate a low-cost Cuba ferry service from Port Everglades, Tampa and the Port of Miami.
"The Cuba part requires government approval, but we are talking about ferry service throughout the Caribbean," he said.
Nierenberg added that the ferries would carry approximately 1,200 passengers with prices starting from $150 for a reclining chair, and about $300 for a cabin
Wade Elliott, Senior Director of Marketing for the Tampa Port Authority, said: "Eventually, somebody is going to make this happen. And Tampa would be the right fit.
"We're ready. We have the terminal facilities. Whenever we get the green light, we will look for an opportunity to do it."
With nearly all of the flights to Cuba full for almost every trip, this could be the perfect time to introduce more affordable Cuba travel options for Americans travellers and Cuban-American who are returning home to visit their families.
The introduction of ferry services could also lead to a rise in Cuba hotels being built close to ports on the island to meet the demand of new tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...