Port and Ferry Operators Want to Offer Transport for Cuba Holidays
Ferry operators want to introduce a new and cheaper way for travellers to enjoy Cuba holidays by offering a deluxe ferry boat service which would depart from Florida and carry passengers and their luggage to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
Florida port officials and ferry operators are pushing the Obama administration to allow them to provide transport for Cuba holidays onboard luxury slow ferries which will operate between Florida and Cuba.
As several airports are granted permission to provide charter flights for travellers taking holidays to Cuba, ferry operators are now looking to jump on the Cuba travel bandwagon by offering cheaper travel options to the Caribbean island.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes, several airports are now planning their new routes to Cuba including Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Ferry operators are keen to provide an alternative option for travellers planning their holidays in Cuba and are planning to offer return ferry trips from Florida which will cost between $150 and $300.
The port promoters and ferry operators are also developing plans to provide ferry services to several other destinations throughout Mexico and the Caribbean.
Former cruise line executive, Bruce Nierenberg from Orlando, has applied to the U.S Treasury Department for permission to operate a low-cost Cuba ferry service from Port Everglades, Tampa and the Port of Miami.
"The Cuba part requires government approval, but we are talking about ferry service throughout the Caribbean," he said.
Nierenberg added that the ferries would carry approximately 1,200 passengers with prices starting from $150 for a reclining chair, and about $300 for a cabin
Wade Elliott, Senior Director of Marketing for the Tampa Port Authority, said: "Eventually, somebody is going to make this happen. And Tampa would be the right fit.
"We're ready. We have the terminal facilities. Whenever we get the green light, we will look for an opportunity to do it."
With nearly all of the flights to Cuba full for almost every trip, this could be the perfect time to introduce more affordable Cuba travel options for Americans travellers and Cuban-American who are returning home to visit their families.
The introduction of ferry services could also lead to a rise in Cuba hotels being built close to ports on the island to meet the demand of new tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...