Port and Ferry Operators Want to Offer Transport for Cuba Holidays
Ferry operators want to introduce a new and cheaper way for travellers to enjoy Cuba holidays by offering a deluxe ferry boat service which would depart from Florida and carry passengers and their luggage to the Caribbean island of Cuba.
Florida port officials and ferry operators are pushing the Obama administration to allow them to provide transport for Cuba holidays onboard luxury slow ferries which will operate between Florida and Cuba.
As several airports are granted permission to provide charter flights for travellers taking holidays to Cuba, ferry operators are now looking to jump on the Cuba travel bandwagon by offering cheaper travel options to the Caribbean island.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on American travellers taking Cuba holidays for educational, academic, cultural and religious purposes. Since these changes, several airports are now planning their new routes to Cuba including Tampa International Airport, Baltimore-Washington International Marshall Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, O’Hare in Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, and San Juan.
Ferry operators are keen to provide an alternative option for travellers planning their holidays in Cuba and are planning to offer return ferry trips from Florida which will cost between $150 and $300.
The port promoters and ferry operators are also developing plans to provide ferry services to several other destinations throughout Mexico and the Caribbean.
Former cruise line executive, Bruce Nierenberg from Orlando, has applied to the U.S Treasury Department for permission to operate a low-cost Cuba ferry service from Port Everglades, Tampa and the Port of Miami.
"The Cuba part requires government approval, but we are talking about ferry service throughout the Caribbean," he said.
Nierenberg added that the ferries would carry approximately 1,200 passengers with prices starting from $150 for a reclining chair, and about $300 for a cabin
Wade Elliott, Senior Director of Marketing for the Tampa Port Authority, said: "Eventually, somebody is going to make this happen. And Tampa would be the right fit.
"We're ready. We have the terminal facilities. Whenever we get the green light, we will look for an opportunity to do it."
With nearly all of the flights to Cuba full for almost every trip, this could be the perfect time to introduce more affordable Cuba travel options for Americans travellers and Cuban-American who are returning home to visit their families.
The introduction of ferry services could also lead to a rise in Cuba hotels being built close to ports on the island to meet the demand of new tourists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...