Cuba, Jamaica and Cayman Island agree to Cuba's holidays promotion plan
Representatives of Cuba, Cayman Islands and Jamaica met during the Miami International Boat Show to draft a strategy to handle the predicted rise in American tourists taking Cuba holidays via boats if the current travel ban is lifted by President Obama.
Policies and regulations are being put into place by representatives of Cuba, the Cayman Islands and Jamaica to handle the predicted increase in American tourists taking Cuba holidays by boat or ship if President Obama lifts the current ongoing embargo on US-Cuba travel.
The representatives met at this year's Miami International Boat Show and included Commodore Jose Miguel Diaz Escrich, from Cuba's major marina provider, Marlin; Dale B. Westin, from the Port Authority of Jamaica; and Neville Scott, from the Cayman Island marina.
The U.S Coast Guard and Florida vessel registration authorities show figures of more than 600,000 boats in Florida which are capable of making the 90 mile sea trip from South Florida to Cuba should the Cuba travel ban be lifted. For over 50 years, U.S boats have been banned from visiting Cuba and if the embargo is lifted, Cuba's marinas could see a significant influx of tourists taking holidays to Cuba via boats and cruise ships. This increase in visitors would bring a welcome boost for the island's tourism and economy including Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
The representatives agreed that if the ban was lifted or relaxed, this could be the makings of a new Central Caribbean cruising ground which would consist of Cuba primarily, plus Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.
The formation of a new Caribbean Marines Trade Association could also be in the pipeline which would promote yachting holidays in Cuba and the Central and Western Caribbean. To date, the main yachting destination of the Caribbean is in the east and includes the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad, Tobago, the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.
Over the past year, President Obama has been relaxing the decades-long embargo in stages, firstly allowing Cuba-American residents to visit family in Cuba, and then earlier this year the President eased restrictions in American travellers visiting the Caribbean island for cultural, religious, academic or educational purposes.
The fate of the Cuba travel embargo largely lies in the hands of the U.S. Congress and U.S. Rep. Ilena Ross Lehtenin, who is now controlling the House Foreign Relations Committee, but President Obama does have the authority to relax elements of the ban.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...