Cuba, Jamaica and Cayman Island agree to Cuba's holidays promotion plan
Representatives of Cuba, Cayman Islands and Jamaica met during the Miami International Boat Show to draft a strategy to handle the predicted rise in American tourists taking Cuba holidays via boats if the current travel ban is lifted by President Obama.
Policies and regulations are being put into place by representatives of Cuba, the Cayman Islands and Jamaica to handle the predicted increase in American tourists taking Cuba holidays by boat or ship if President Obama lifts the current ongoing embargo on US-Cuba travel.
The representatives met at this year's Miami International Boat Show and included Commodore Jose Miguel Diaz Escrich, from Cuba's major marina provider, Marlin; Dale B. Westin, from the Port Authority of Jamaica; and Neville Scott, from the Cayman Island marina.
The U.S Coast Guard and Florida vessel registration authorities show figures of more than 600,000 boats in Florida which are capable of making the 90 mile sea trip from South Florida to Cuba should the Cuba travel ban be lifted. For over 50 years, U.S boats have been banned from visiting Cuba and if the embargo is lifted, Cuba's marinas could see a significant influx of tourists taking holidays to Cuba via boats and cruise ships. This increase in visitors would bring a welcome boost for the island's tourism and economy including Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
The representatives agreed that if the ban was lifted or relaxed, this could be the makings of a new Central Caribbean cruising ground which would consist of Cuba primarily, plus Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.
The formation of a new Caribbean Marines Trade Association could also be in the pipeline which would promote yachting holidays in Cuba and the Central and Western Caribbean. To date, the main yachting destination of the Caribbean is in the east and includes the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad, Tobago, the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.
Over the past year, President Obama has been relaxing the decades-long embargo in stages, firstly allowing Cuba-American residents to visit family in Cuba, and then earlier this year the President eased restrictions in American travellers visiting the Caribbean island for cultural, religious, academic or educational purposes.
The fate of the Cuba travel embargo largely lies in the hands of the U.S. Congress and U.S. Rep. Ilena Ross Lehtenin, who is now controlling the House Foreign Relations Committee, but President Obama does have the authority to relax elements of the ban.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...