Cuba, Jamaica and Cayman Island agree to Cuba's holidays promotion plan
Representatives of Cuba, Cayman Islands and Jamaica met during the Miami International Boat Show to draft a strategy to handle the predicted rise in American tourists taking Cuba holidays via boats if the current travel ban is lifted by President Obama.
Policies and regulations are being put into place by representatives of Cuba, the Cayman Islands and Jamaica to handle the predicted increase in American tourists taking Cuba holidays by boat or ship if President Obama lifts the current ongoing embargo on US-Cuba travel.
The representatives met at this year's Miami International Boat Show and included Commodore Jose Miguel Diaz Escrich, from Cuba's major marina provider, Marlin; Dale B. Westin, from the Port Authority of Jamaica; and Neville Scott, from the Cayman Island marina.
The U.S Coast Guard and Florida vessel registration authorities show figures of more than 600,000 boats in Florida which are capable of making the 90 mile sea trip from South Florida to Cuba should the Cuba travel ban be lifted. For over 50 years, U.S boats have been banned from visiting Cuba and if the embargo is lifted, Cuba's marinas could see a significant influx of tourists taking holidays to Cuba via boats and cruise ships. This increase in visitors would bring a welcome boost for the island's tourism and economy including Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
The representatives agreed that if the ban was lifted or relaxed, this could be the makings of a new Central Caribbean cruising ground which would consist of Cuba primarily, plus Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.
The formation of a new Caribbean Marines Trade Association could also be in the pipeline which would promote yachting holidays in Cuba and the Central and Western Caribbean. To date, the main yachting destination of the Caribbean is in the east and includes the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad, Tobago, the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.
Over the past year, President Obama has been relaxing the decades-long embargo in stages, firstly allowing Cuba-American residents to visit family in Cuba, and then earlier this year the President eased restrictions in American travellers visiting the Caribbean island for cultural, religious, academic or educational purposes.
The fate of the Cuba travel embargo largely lies in the hands of the U.S. Congress and U.S. Rep. Ilena Ross Lehtenin, who is now controlling the House Foreign Relations Committee, but President Obama does have the authority to relax elements of the ban.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...