Cuba, Jamaica and Cayman Island agree to Cuba's holidays promotion plan
Representatives of Cuba, Cayman Islands and Jamaica met during the Miami International Boat Show to draft a strategy to handle the predicted rise in American tourists taking Cuba holidays via boats if the current travel ban is lifted by President Obama.
Policies and regulations are being put into place by representatives of Cuba, the Cayman Islands and Jamaica to handle the predicted increase in American tourists taking Cuba holidays by boat or ship if President Obama lifts the current ongoing embargo on US-Cuba travel.
The representatives met at this year's Miami International Boat Show and included Commodore Jose Miguel Diaz Escrich, from Cuba's major marina provider, Marlin; Dale B. Westin, from the Port Authority of Jamaica; and Neville Scott, from the Cayman Island marina.
The U.S Coast Guard and Florida vessel registration authorities show figures of more than 600,000 boats in Florida which are capable of making the 90 mile sea trip from South Florida to Cuba should the Cuba travel ban be lifted. For over 50 years, U.S boats have been banned from visiting Cuba and if the embargo is lifted, Cuba's marinas could see a significant influx of tourists taking holidays to Cuba via boats and cruise ships. This increase in visitors would bring a welcome boost for the island's tourism and economy including Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
The representatives agreed that if the ban was lifted or relaxed, this could be the makings of a new Central Caribbean cruising ground which would consist of Cuba primarily, plus Jamaica and the Cayman Islands.
The formation of a new Caribbean Marines Trade Association could also be in the pipeline which would promote yachting holidays in Cuba and the Central and Western Caribbean. To date, the main yachting destination of the Caribbean is in the east and includes the British Virgin Islands, Trinidad, Tobago, the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos.
Over the past year, President Obama has been relaxing the decades-long embargo in stages, firstly allowing Cuba-American residents to visit family in Cuba, and then earlier this year the President eased restrictions in American travellers visiting the Caribbean island for cultural, religious, academic or educational purposes.
The fate of the Cuba travel embargo largely lies in the hands of the U.S. Congress and U.S. Rep. Ilena Ross Lehtenin, who is now controlling the House Foreign Relations Committee, but President Obama does have the authority to relax elements of the ban.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...