Sri Lanka Tourism to Award Milestone Travellers Taking Sri Lanka Holidays
The Deputy Minister if Economic Development, has announced that special awards will be given to milestone travellers arriving on the island for their Sri Lanka holidays, as the island nation celebrates the world's highest growth in the tourism sector.
Travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future will have the chance to win surprise packages as the tourism sector awards milestone travellers.
The 250,000th, 500,0000th, 600,000th and 700,000th tourist who arrives on their holidays to Sri Lanka will receive surprise packages from Sri Lanka Tourism as the country celebrates the world’s highest growth in the tourism sector.
Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Mr. Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, said that the country has set a target of 800,000 tourists taking holidays in Sri Lanka in 2011, and plans have been drawn up to make the island nation into the most popular tourist destination in the world.
Last year saw record numbers of tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays with the majority of holidaymakers originating from Western European countries including a rise in arrivals Denmark and Finland.
Mr. Yapa said that plans are underway to divert tourist income for the benefit of rural masses and improve the standard of living for the island’s residents, whilst providing a fantastic unique experience for travellers enjoying holidays in Sri Lanka.
He added that a joint tourist promotional programme will be launched inviting local and foreign media to explore the country’s array of historical and natural sites such as pristine beaches, temples and national parks, in an attempt to further increase the number of tourists.
In January this year, Sri Lanka recorded a 46 per cent increase in visitors, making it the world’s highest tourism increase so far this year, with the USA and Japan ranked in second and third place respectively.
Sri Lanka’s tourism industry has boomed since the end of the decades-long civil war in 2009. Travellers are more confident about visiting the island nation and the Sri Lanka Tourism Authority has been working hard to promote the country as a safe tourist destination throughout many countries across the world.
Plans are in place to develop regions and introduce new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts including a seven star hotel chain with the investment of Hong Kong-based Shangri-La group near Colombo, and several projects along the southern and eastern coasts of the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
For a taste of Sri Lanka choose Eden Rock Resort and Spa, the worthy winner of Trip Advisor'ss 2012 Certificate of Excellence Award
- All rooms have a Private Balcony or Terrace with a view of either the Garden or the Indian Ocean
- Rejuvenate at the Spa and Ayuveda Centre
- Access to Temptation - a Fine-Dining Restaurant - the 24-Hr Chameleon Cafe & more
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...