Sri Lanka Tourism to Award Milestone Travellers Taking Sri Lanka Holidays
The Deputy Minister if Economic Development, has announced that special awards will be given to milestone travellers arriving on the island for their Sri Lanka holidays, as the island nation celebrates the world's highest growth in the tourism sector.
Travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future will have the chance to win surprise packages as the tourism sector awards milestone travellers.
The 250,000th, 500,0000th, 600,000th and 700,000th tourist who arrives on their holidays to Sri Lanka will receive surprise packages from Sri Lanka Tourism as the country celebrates the world’s highest growth in the tourism sector.
Deputy Minister of Economic Development, Mr. Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena, said that the country has set a target of 800,000 tourists taking holidays in Sri Lanka in 2011, and plans have been drawn up to make the island nation into the most popular tourist destination in the world.
Last year saw record numbers of tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays with the majority of holidaymakers originating from Western European countries including a rise in arrivals Denmark and Finland.
Mr. Yapa said that plans are underway to divert tourist income for the benefit of rural masses and improve the standard of living for the island’s residents, whilst providing a fantastic unique experience for travellers enjoying holidays in Sri Lanka.
He added that a joint tourist promotional programme will be launched inviting local and foreign media to explore the country’s array of historical and natural sites such as pristine beaches, temples and national parks, in an attempt to further increase the number of tourists.
In January this year, Sri Lanka recorded a 46 per cent increase in visitors, making it the world’s highest tourism increase so far this year, with the USA and Japan ranked in second and third place respectively.
Sri Lanka’s tourism industry has boomed since the end of the decades-long civil war in 2009. Travellers are more confident about visiting the island nation and the Sri Lanka Tourism Authority has been working hard to promote the country as a safe tourist destination throughout many countries across the world.
Plans are in place to develop regions and introduce new Sri Lanka hotels and resorts including a seven star hotel chain with the investment of Hong Kong-based Shangri-La group near Colombo, and several projects along the southern and eastern coasts of the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...