Caribbean Regional Airlines Squabble Over Routes for Caribbean Holidays
The recent debate over routes for Caribbean holidays operated by Caribbean Airlines and LIAT has led to the invention of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation who is urging the airlines' officials and government representatives to stop the public squabbling.
The chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation is urging officials and government representatives from Caribbean Airlines and LIAT to put an end to their public squabbling over providing routes for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation chairman, Ricky Skerritt from St. Kitts and Nevis, believes that it is time to take a different approach to resolve the issue.
He stated: "They need to stop debating in public.”
The debate started after Caribbean Airlines expressed their interest in providing flights to the Caribbean which were already under operation by LIAT.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation has now offered to step in and mediate in the heated discussions.
The main regional airlines in the Caribbean are LIAT, Caribbean Airlines, SVG Air, American Eagle, Air Caraibes, Cubana, ALM, Winair, and St Barths Commuter
Both Caribbean Airlines and LIAT provide regional flights for tourists taking holidays in the Caribbean with routes between the tropical islands including Jamaica, Tobago, Barbados, Trinidad, the Dominican Republic, Antigua, Grenada and many more.
Despite the ongoing dispute between the airlines, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation has announced that the number of travellers enjoying holidays in the Caribbean is rising and Caribbean hotels are seeing an increase in revenues and visitor numbers.
Skerritt believes that the figures will continue to grow this year providing there are no unforeseen economic or social traumas or severe weather conditions, and the region’s tourism industry is heading in a positive direction.
Following the news that Royal Caribbean International will be repositioning its ship from the Caribbean to Europe in 2012, the CTO are keen to ensure that the Caribbean remains a desirable cruising destination for global travellers.
“We recognise that the strong comparative advantage that we have in the Caribbean in the winter months changes in the summer,” said Secretary General Hugh Riley. However, the CTO are concerned about the impact the ship’s departure will have in the southern Caribbean during the summer months as visitor numbers are already low and fuel costs continue to rise.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...