Caribbean Regional Airlines Squabble Over Routes for Caribbean Holidays
The recent debate over routes for Caribbean holidays operated by Caribbean Airlines and LIAT has led to the invention of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation who is urging the airlines' officials and government representatives to stop the public squabbling.
The chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation is urging officials and government representatives from Caribbean Airlines and LIAT to put an end to their public squabbling over providing routes for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation chairman, Ricky Skerritt from St. Kitts and Nevis, believes that it is time to take a different approach to resolve the issue.
He stated: "They need to stop debating in public.”
The debate started after Caribbean Airlines expressed their interest in providing flights to the Caribbean which were already under operation by LIAT.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation has now offered to step in and mediate in the heated discussions.
The main regional airlines in the Caribbean are LIAT, Caribbean Airlines, SVG Air, American Eagle, Air Caraibes, Cubana, ALM, Winair, and St Barths Commuter
Both Caribbean Airlines and LIAT provide regional flights for tourists taking holidays in the Caribbean with routes between the tropical islands including Jamaica, Tobago, Barbados, Trinidad, the Dominican Republic, Antigua, Grenada and many more.
Despite the ongoing dispute between the airlines, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation has announced that the number of travellers enjoying holidays in the Caribbean is rising and Caribbean hotels are seeing an increase in revenues and visitor numbers.
Skerritt believes that the figures will continue to grow this year providing there are no unforeseen economic or social traumas or severe weather conditions, and the region’s tourism industry is heading in a positive direction.
Following the news that Royal Caribbean International will be repositioning its ship from the Caribbean to Europe in 2012, the CTO are keen to ensure that the Caribbean remains a desirable cruising destination for global travellers.
“We recognise that the strong comparative advantage that we have in the Caribbean in the winter months changes in the summer,” said Secretary General Hugh Riley. However, the CTO are concerned about the impact the ship’s departure will have in the southern Caribbean during the summer months as visitor numbers are already low and fuel costs continue to rise.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...