Caribbean Regional Airlines Squabble Over Routes for Caribbean Holidays
The recent debate over routes for Caribbean holidays operated by Caribbean Airlines and LIAT has led to the invention of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation who is urging the airlines' officials and government representatives to stop the public squabbling.
The chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation is urging officials and government representatives from Caribbean Airlines and LIAT to put an end to their public squabbling over providing routes for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation chairman, Ricky Skerritt from St. Kitts and Nevis, believes that it is time to take a different approach to resolve the issue.
He stated: "They need to stop debating in public.”
The debate started after Caribbean Airlines expressed their interest in providing flights to the Caribbean which were already under operation by LIAT.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation has now offered to step in and mediate in the heated discussions.
The main regional airlines in the Caribbean are LIAT, Caribbean Airlines, SVG Air, American Eagle, Air Caraibes, Cubana, ALM, Winair, and St Barths Commuter
Both Caribbean Airlines and LIAT provide regional flights for tourists taking holidays in the Caribbean with routes between the tropical islands including Jamaica, Tobago, Barbados, Trinidad, the Dominican Republic, Antigua, Grenada and many more.
Despite the ongoing dispute between the airlines, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation has announced that the number of travellers enjoying holidays in the Caribbean is rising and Caribbean hotels are seeing an increase in revenues and visitor numbers.
Skerritt believes that the figures will continue to grow this year providing there are no unforeseen economic or social traumas or severe weather conditions, and the region’s tourism industry is heading in a positive direction.
Following the news that Royal Caribbean International will be repositioning its ship from the Caribbean to Europe in 2012, the CTO are keen to ensure that the Caribbean remains a desirable cruising destination for global travellers.
“We recognise that the strong comparative advantage that we have in the Caribbean in the winter months changes in the summer,” said Secretary General Hugh Riley. However, the CTO are concerned about the impact the ship’s departure will have in the southern Caribbean during the summer months as visitor numbers are already low and fuel costs continue to rise.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...