Concern for future of Cancun holidays and Caribbean holidays as UN climate talks miss deadline
There are new concerns over the future of Caribbean holidays after 200 countries failed to reach a decision in time about who will gain early influence in designing the "Green Climate Fund" for the March deadline in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March.
A new plan which could determine the future of Caribbean holidays, looks like it will be missing its March deadline as the groups of 200 countries have yet to decide on who will gain early influence in designing the “Green Climate Fund”.
The 40-nation UN-led climate talks are due to take place in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March, 2011 but the participating countries from the Caribbean, Asia and Latin America cannot decide on their delegates.
The green fund was set by governments in December to help fight climate change and developing nations with aid flows which are expected to reach $100 billion by 2020.
The last UN talks were held in Cancun to set up the fund which would also include steps to protect tropical rainforests and limit any rise in temperatures to below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial times. The March deadline was also given to decide on a “transitional committee” who would start designing the fund.
The funding will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions of developing countries by introducing renewable energies and helping the countries to adapt to the impact of rising sea levels, rising temperatures, droughts, storms and floods.
Christiana Figueres, the head of the UN Climate Change Secretariat, said last week that “governments must now implement quickly what they agreed in Cancun.”
Cancun is situated on the Yucatan channel which separates Mexico from the island of Cuba. The region is a popular destination for travellers heading to the coast on their Cancun holidays.
Located in the Quintana Roo state, tourists can enjoy water sport activities on Nichupté Lagoon or explore the historic Mayan archaeological sites including Kinichná, Dzibanché and Tulum during their holidays to Cancun.
The Riviera Maya attracts hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers taking holidays in Cancun each year and offers charming delights such as Playa del Carmen and the Cancun Underwater Museum which was created by English sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor and is home to over 400 life-size sculptures.
The city centre is located in the mainland and boasts a number of luxury beachfront Cancun hotels which offer breathtaking views of the sparkling Caribbean Sea and easy access to the city’s attractions, restaurants and shops.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...