Concern for future of Cancun holidays and Caribbean holidays as UN climate talks miss deadline
There are new concerns over the future of Caribbean holidays after 200 countries failed to reach a decision in time about who will gain early influence in designing the "Green Climate Fund" for the March deadline in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March.
A new plan which could determine the future of Caribbean holidays, looks like it will be missing its March deadline as the groups of 200 countries have yet to decide on who will gain early influence in designing the “Green Climate Fund”.
The 40-nation UN-led climate talks are due to take place in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March, 2011 but the participating countries from the Caribbean, Asia and Latin America cannot decide on their delegates.
The green fund was set by governments in December to help fight climate change and developing nations with aid flows which are expected to reach $100 billion by 2020.
The last UN talks were held in Cancun to set up the fund which would also include steps to protect tropical rainforests and limit any rise in temperatures to below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial times. The March deadline was also given to decide on a “transitional committee” who would start designing the fund.
The funding will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions of developing countries by introducing renewable energies and helping the countries to adapt to the impact of rising sea levels, rising temperatures, droughts, storms and floods.
Christiana Figueres, the head of the UN Climate Change Secretariat, said last week that “governments must now implement quickly what they agreed in Cancun.”
Cancun is situated on the Yucatan channel which separates Mexico from the island of Cuba. The region is a popular destination for travellers heading to the coast on their Cancun holidays.
Located in the Quintana Roo state, tourists can enjoy water sport activities on Nichupté Lagoon or explore the historic Mayan archaeological sites including Kinichná, Dzibanché and Tulum during their holidays to Cancun.
The Riviera Maya attracts hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers taking holidays in Cancun each year and offers charming delights such as Playa del Carmen and the Cancun Underwater Museum which was created by English sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor and is home to over 400 life-size sculptures.
The city centre is located in the mainland and boasts a number of luxury beachfront Cancun hotels which offer breathtaking views of the sparkling Caribbean Sea and easy access to the city’s attractions, restaurants and shops.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...