Concern for future of Cancun holidays and Caribbean holidays as UN climate talks miss deadline
There are new concerns over the future of Caribbean holidays after 200 countries failed to reach a decision in time about who will gain early influence in designing the "Green Climate Fund" for the March deadline in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March.
A new plan which could determine the future of Caribbean holidays, looks like it will be missing its March deadline as the groups of 200 countries have yet to decide on who will gain early influence in designing the “Green Climate Fund”.
The 40-nation UN-led climate talks are due to take place in Mexico City on 14th and 15th March, 2011 but the participating countries from the Caribbean, Asia and Latin America cannot decide on their delegates.
The green fund was set by governments in December to help fight climate change and developing nations with aid flows which are expected to reach $100 billion by 2020.
The last UN talks were held in Cancun to set up the fund which would also include steps to protect tropical rainforests and limit any rise in temperatures to below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial times. The March deadline was also given to decide on a “transitional committee” who would start designing the fund.
The funding will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions of developing countries by introducing renewable energies and helping the countries to adapt to the impact of rising sea levels, rising temperatures, droughts, storms and floods.
Christiana Figueres, the head of the UN Climate Change Secretariat, said last week that “governments must now implement quickly what they agreed in Cancun.”
Cancun is situated on the Yucatan channel which separates Mexico from the island of Cuba. The region is a popular destination for travellers heading to the coast on their Cancun holidays.
Located in the Quintana Roo state, tourists can enjoy water sport activities on Nichupté Lagoon or explore the historic Mayan archaeological sites including Kinichná, Dzibanché and Tulum during their holidays to Cancun.
The Riviera Maya attracts hundreds of thousands of holidaymakers taking holidays in Cancun each year and offers charming delights such as Playa del Carmen and the Cancun Underwater Museum which was created by English sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor and is home to over 400 life-size sculptures.
The city centre is located in the mainland and boasts a number of luxury beachfront Cancun hotels which offer breathtaking views of the sparkling Caribbean Sea and easy access to the city’s attractions, restaurants and shops.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...