Businesses in the Jamaica holidays industry to receive "Five-for-Five" Loans
The Jamaica National Small Business Loans and the Tourism Enhancement Fund launched the expanded loan scheme to small and medium size businesses within the Jamaica holidays industry where they can access loans of up to $5 million.
Small and medium-size businesses who specialise in the Jamaica holidays industry will now be able to access loans of up to $5 million as the expanded loan scheme is launched by the Jamaica National Small Business Loans and the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
The agreement, which was signed in 2008 by the tourism ministry and Jamaica National, is aimed at improving the capacity and products within the Jamaica holidays sector and businesses will have five years to pay the money back at an interest rate of five per cent on the reducing balance.
To date, 79 loans have been granted; with $186 million from the initial $200 million already payed out, and the additional $100 million will bring the total to $300 million over the past three years.
The first two phases were aimed at helping Jamaica hotels, attractions and transport companies and the interest rate and terms of the loan enabled companies to expand and develop in order to become part of the tourism supply chain.
Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, said: "We are committed to ensure that more jobs are created, and this fulfils a wider policy objective of the Government to create more and more jobs. Tourism must be a critical catalyst in the economy, enabling job creation and poverty alleviation. Five-for-five is intended to enable this. And so we are looking to broaden the base of ownership within the industry, by having people appreciate that ownership doesn't mean owning a hotel, but it means being able also to supply the needs of the visitors."
General Manager of Jamaica National Small Business Loans, Frank Whylie, said that the introduction of the loan scheme has seen tremendous growth within small businesses that specialise in providing holidays to Jamaica.
Bartlett has also recently been holding discussions with the Inter-American Development Bank regarding $10 million worth of funding which will help towards small hotels and businesses which will enhance the experience for tourists enjoying holidays in Jamaica
Bartlett said “discussions regarding this funding initiative are far advanced, and should this programme materialize, it would represent a major breakthrough for entrepreneurship, and would get more people involved in the supply side of the economic matrix in Jamaica.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...