Businesses in the Jamaica holidays industry to receive "Five-for-Five" Loans
The Jamaica National Small Business Loans and the Tourism Enhancement Fund launched the expanded loan scheme to small and medium size businesses within the Jamaica holidays industry where they can access loans of up to $5 million.
Small and medium-size businesses who specialise in the Jamaica holidays industry will now be able to access loans of up to $5 million as the expanded loan scheme is launched by the Jamaica National Small Business Loans and the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
The agreement, which was signed in 2008 by the tourism ministry and Jamaica National, is aimed at improving the capacity and products within the Jamaica holidays sector and businesses will have five years to pay the money back at an interest rate of five per cent on the reducing balance.
To date, 79 loans have been granted; with $186 million from the initial $200 million already payed out, and the additional $100 million will bring the total to $300 million over the past three years.
The first two phases were aimed at helping Jamaica hotels, attractions and transport companies and the interest rate and terms of the loan enabled companies to expand and develop in order to become part of the tourism supply chain.
Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, said: "We are committed to ensure that more jobs are created, and this fulfils a wider policy objective of the Government to create more and more jobs. Tourism must be a critical catalyst in the economy, enabling job creation and poverty alleviation. Five-for-five is intended to enable this. And so we are looking to broaden the base of ownership within the industry, by having people appreciate that ownership doesn't mean owning a hotel, but it means being able also to supply the needs of the visitors."
General Manager of Jamaica National Small Business Loans, Frank Whylie, said that the introduction of the loan scheme has seen tremendous growth within small businesses that specialise in providing holidays to Jamaica.
Bartlett has also recently been holding discussions with the Inter-American Development Bank regarding $10 million worth of funding which will help towards small hotels and businesses which will enhance the experience for tourists enjoying holidays in Jamaica
Bartlett said “discussions regarding this funding initiative are far advanced, and should this programme materialize, it would represent a major breakthrough for entrepreneurship, and would get more people involved in the supply side of the economic matrix in Jamaica.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...