Tourists Treated to Rare Visit from Russian Ships during Cuba Holidays
Tourists enjoying their Cuba holidays last week had the chance to witness a piece of history as a Russian antisubmarine destroyer and two logistical warships sailed into Havana Bay as part of an extended non-military tour.
Holidaymakers witnessed a historic moment during their Cuba holidays last week as the Admiral Chabanenko destroyer, a Russian antisubmarine, and two logistical warships docked in Cuba’s capital city last week.
Tourists who were enjoying their holidays in Cuba in Havana had the chance to see the ships sail into Havana Bay, complete with Russians sailors who were dressed in white and tan dress uniforms and stood at attention on the deck.
This was the first time any Russian military ships have visited Cuba since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
The ships were part of non-military tour which included stops in Venezuela and Panama and the crew took advantage of their brief holidays to Cuba with a planned tour of Havana which included a trip to a naval school.
During the ships’ mooring a ceremonial Cuban cannon fired a gun salute and a naval band played both the Russian and Cuban national anthems whilst waiting on a cruise ship dock.
Cuba’s cultural relations with Russia are strengthening after an agreement was signed last month during the 20th International Book Fair Cuba 2011 where Cuban and Russian publishing houses to support and increase bilateral exchange in this sector.
The International Book Fair Cuba was attended by thousands of local island residents and tourists who were staying in Cuba hotels across the island who came to enjoy the literary event.
Cuba has already been celebrating record number of tourists this year as January saw 296,000 international arrivals on the island; a 15.9 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Cuba tourism officials are hoping that they will meet their target of 2.7 million international visitors by the end of 2011 and it looks like it could be an easy number to reach after President Obama’s administration recently eased the restrictions on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo with the United States and now allows Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...