Tourists Treated to Rare Visit from Russian Ships during Cuba Holidays
Tourists enjoying their Cuba holidays last week had the chance to witness a piece of history as a Russian antisubmarine destroyer and two logistical warships sailed into Havana Bay as part of an extended non-military tour.
Holidaymakers witnessed a historic moment during their Cuba holidays last week as the Admiral Chabanenko destroyer, a Russian antisubmarine, and two logistical warships docked in Cuba’s capital city last week.
Tourists who were enjoying their holidays in Cuba in Havana had the chance to see the ships sail into Havana Bay, complete with Russians sailors who were dressed in white and tan dress uniforms and stood at attention on the deck.
This was the first time any Russian military ships have visited Cuba since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
The ships were part of non-military tour which included stops in Venezuela and Panama and the crew took advantage of their brief holidays to Cuba with a planned tour of Havana which included a trip to a naval school.
During the ships’ mooring a ceremonial Cuban cannon fired a gun salute and a naval band played both the Russian and Cuban national anthems whilst waiting on a cruise ship dock.
Cuba’s cultural relations with Russia are strengthening after an agreement was signed last month during the 20th International Book Fair Cuba 2011 where Cuban and Russian publishing houses to support and increase bilateral exchange in this sector.
The International Book Fair Cuba was attended by thousands of local island residents and tourists who were staying in Cuba hotels across the island who came to enjoy the literary event.
Cuba has already been celebrating record number of tourists this year as January saw 296,000 international arrivals on the island; a 15.9 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Cuba tourism officials are hoping that they will meet their target of 2.7 million international visitors by the end of 2011 and it looks like it could be an easy number to reach after President Obama’s administration recently eased the restrictions on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo with the United States and now allows Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...