Tourists Treated to Rare Visit from Russian Ships during Cuba Holidays
Tourists enjoying their Cuba holidays last week had the chance to witness a piece of history as a Russian antisubmarine destroyer and two logistical warships sailed into Havana Bay as part of an extended non-military tour.
Holidaymakers witnessed a historic moment during their Cuba holidays last week as the Admiral Chabanenko destroyer, a Russian antisubmarine, and two logistical warships docked in Cuba’s capital city last week.
Tourists who were enjoying their holidays in Cuba in Havana had the chance to see the ships sail into Havana Bay, complete with Russians sailors who were dressed in white and tan dress uniforms and stood at attention on the deck.
This was the first time any Russian military ships have visited Cuba since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.
The ships were part of non-military tour which included stops in Venezuela and Panama and the crew took advantage of their brief holidays to Cuba with a planned tour of Havana which included a trip to a naval school.
During the ships’ mooring a ceremonial Cuban cannon fired a gun salute and a naval band played both the Russian and Cuban national anthems whilst waiting on a cruise ship dock.
Cuba’s cultural relations with Russia are strengthening after an agreement was signed last month during the 20th International Book Fair Cuba 2011 where Cuban and Russian publishing houses to support and increase bilateral exchange in this sector.
The International Book Fair Cuba was attended by thousands of local island residents and tourists who were staying in Cuba hotels across the island who came to enjoy the literary event.
Cuba has already been celebrating record number of tourists this year as January saw 296,000 international arrivals on the island; a 15.9 per cent increase on the same period last year.
Cuba tourism officials are hoping that they will meet their target of 2.7 million international visitors by the end of 2011 and it looks like it could be an easy number to reach after President Obama’s administration recently eased the restrictions on the ongoing Cuba travel embargo with the United States and now allows Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...