Record-Breaking St Lucia Holidays in 2010
The number of tourists who took St Lucia holidays in 2010 broke the record after the St Lucia Tourist Board reported that despite the volcanic ash cloud disruption and bad weather in the UK, the island received the highest number of visitors its history.
The St Lucia Tourist Board has been celebrating record-breaking numbers on the island after reporting that the number of travellers who enjoyed holidays to St Lucia during 2010 was the highest ever in the island’s history.
Despite the volcanic ash cloud disruption in the UK in April last which forced British Air Space to close all flights, severe snow conditions in the UK and U.S in December, and Hurricane Tomas lashing the island in October 2010, the island received a record number of holidaymakers staying at St Lucia resorts and hotels.
The majority of visitors arrived on the holidays in St Lucia during the first nine months of 2010 and the total number of travellers staying at St Lucia hotels throughout the year reached 305,937; a 10 per cent increase on 2009 and 1 per cent higher than 2006, which was St Lucia’s best year to date.
While the UK market made up 22 per cent of the arrivals, the largest number of tourists who enjoyed St Lucia holidays originated from the United States with 42 per cent visiting the Caribbean island last year.
Louis Lewis, St Lucia Tourism Director, said that the success of 2010 was partly due “to the strategic approach to marketing and promoting the destination,” stating that “the SLTB stood ready to build on these targeted marketing strategies throughout the 2011 calendar year, in order to achieve even greater results.”
The island’s Rodney Bay Marina recorded 35,052 visitor arrivals by yacht in 2010, which was a slight decline of 0.2 per cent compared to 2009, but Marigot Bay received record figures with 10,259 tourists arriving to the island for their holidays in St Lucia.
Saint Lucia is an island country situated in the eastern Caribbean Sea and boasts some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Caribbean. Home to the famous Pitons (mountains), lush green rolling hills, white sand beaches and tropical rainforests, St Lucia is one of the only islands in the world which has its very own drive-in volcano.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
- Book and save £300 per person with the upto 40% sale
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
Check into a pretty boutique hotel and experience St Lucia's best beaches, restaurants and nightlife - you can even try your luck at Treasure Bay Casino!
- Exclusive! Book and save £500 per person!
- Perfectly placed at the heart of lively Rodney Bay Village
- Go for a de-stressing or beautifying treatment at the hotel's spa
- Enjoy a spicy island vibe at the hotel's Koko Cabana Bistro & Bar, offering regular live entertainment, barbecues & much more
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia experience at Marigot Bay Resort & Marina by Capella Hotel Group
- Laze in one of the hotel's many pools or discover the tropical beach a short boat ride away
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina in your room
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean Villa holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...