Record-Breaking St Lucia Holidays in 2010
The number of tourists who took St Lucia holidays in 2010 broke the record after the St Lucia Tourist Board reported that despite the volcanic ash cloud disruption and bad weather in the UK, the island received the highest number of visitors its history.
The St Lucia Tourist Board has been celebrating record-breaking numbers on the island after reporting that the number of travellers who enjoyed holidays to St Lucia during 2010 was the highest ever in the island’s history.
Despite the volcanic ash cloud disruption in the UK in April last which forced British Air Space to close all flights, severe snow conditions in the UK and U.S in December, and Hurricane Tomas lashing the island in October 2010, the island received a record number of holidaymakers staying at St Lucia resorts and hotels.
The majority of visitors arrived on the holidays in St Lucia during the first nine months of 2010 and the total number of travellers staying at St Lucia hotels throughout the year reached 305,937; a 10 per cent increase on 2009 and 1 per cent higher than 2006, which was St Lucia’s best year to date.
While the UK market made up 22 per cent of the arrivals, the largest number of tourists who enjoyed St Lucia holidays originated from the United States with 42 per cent visiting the Caribbean island last year.
Louis Lewis, St Lucia Tourism Director, said that the success of 2010 was partly due “to the strategic approach to marketing and promoting the destination,” stating that “the SLTB stood ready to build on these targeted marketing strategies throughout the 2011 calendar year, in order to achieve even greater results.”
The island’s Rodney Bay Marina recorded 35,052 visitor arrivals by yacht in 2010, which was a slight decline of 0.2 per cent compared to 2009, but Marigot Bay received record figures with 10,259 tourists arriving to the island for their holidays in St Lucia.
Saint Lucia is an island country situated in the eastern Caribbean Sea and boasts some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the Caribbean. Home to the famous Pitons (mountains), lush green rolling hills, white sand beaches and tropical rainforests, St Lucia is one of the only islands in the world which has its very own drive-in volcano.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation plus an extra £55 off booking bonus with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...