Cuba Holidays Experience Boom with New Record for January
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during January this year reached record numbers with an increase of 15.9 per cent compared to the same period last year, indicating that that despite the global economy crisis Cuba tourism continues to boom.
Cuba saw a record number of visitors during January 2011 with 296,000 international tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays; a 15.9 per cent increase compared to the same time last year.
The National Office of Statistics issued a press release which stated that Cuba had registered record numbers with 40,610 more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba compared to January 2010.
The rise in travellers taking Cuba holidays has set the Caribbean island’s tourism industry off to a good start to the year as officials are confident that Cuba will reach its target of 2.7 million visitors by the end of this year.
By the close of 2010, Cuba hotels and resorts had accommodated 2.5 million travellers who visited the beautiful Caribbean island, a figure which was up by 4.2 per cent on the previous year.
The growth in Cuba’s tourism is one of the main goals for officials and the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor numbers after the recent easing of restrictions for U.S citizens.
Earlier this year, President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on the U.S-Cuba travel embargo allowing Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons. This will allow schools, churches and cultural groups to take holidays to Cuba and learn more about the Caribbean communist country.
Last year, Obama also eased restrictions on U.S-Cuban travellers returning to Cuba to visit family and friends, which has also had a positive impact on the tourism industry.
The new rules could put Cuba at the top of the list for Caribbean holidays as more U.S travellers are keen to explore the beautiful island after decades of the strict travel embargo.
American airports in Florida including Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West and Las Vegas have all applied to handle new charter flights to Cuba and a new web page has been launched by one of America’s largest tourism companies, AmericanTours International LLC (ATI), which provides information for American travellers planning Cuba holidays.
Cuba hotels are preparing for the expected influx of visitors which could lead to between one and three million additional American tourists per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...