Cuba Holidays Experience Boom with New Record for January
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during January this year reached record numbers with an increase of 15.9 per cent compared to the same period last year, indicating that that despite the global economy crisis Cuba tourism continues to boom.
Cuba saw a record number of visitors during January 2011 with 296,000 international tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays; a 15.9 per cent increase compared to the same time last year.
The National Office of Statistics issued a press release which stated that Cuba had registered record numbers with 40,610 more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba compared to January 2010.
The rise in travellers taking Cuba holidays has set the Caribbean island’s tourism industry off to a good start to the year as officials are confident that Cuba will reach its target of 2.7 million visitors by the end of this year.
By the close of 2010, Cuba hotels and resorts had accommodated 2.5 million travellers who visited the beautiful Caribbean island, a figure which was up by 4.2 per cent on the previous year.
The growth in Cuba’s tourism is one of the main goals for officials and the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor numbers after the recent easing of restrictions for U.S citizens.
Earlier this year, President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on the U.S-Cuba travel embargo allowing Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons. This will allow schools, churches and cultural groups to take holidays to Cuba and learn more about the Caribbean communist country.
Last year, Obama also eased restrictions on U.S-Cuban travellers returning to Cuba to visit family and friends, which has also had a positive impact on the tourism industry.
The new rules could put Cuba at the top of the list for Caribbean holidays as more U.S travellers are keen to explore the beautiful island after decades of the strict travel embargo.
American airports in Florida including Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West and Las Vegas have all applied to handle new charter flights to Cuba and a new web page has been launched by one of America’s largest tourism companies, AmericanTours International LLC (ATI), which provides information for American travellers planning Cuba holidays.
Cuba hotels are preparing for the expected influx of visitors which could lead to between one and three million additional American tourists per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...