Cuba Holidays Experience Boom with New Record for January
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during January this year reached record numbers with an increase of 15.9 per cent compared to the same period last year, indicating that that despite the global economy crisis Cuba tourism continues to boom.
Cuba saw a record number of visitors during January 2011 with 296,000 international tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays; a 15.9 per cent increase compared to the same time last year.
The National Office of Statistics issued a press release which stated that Cuba had registered record numbers with 40,610 more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba compared to January 2010.
The rise in travellers taking Cuba holidays has set the Caribbean island’s tourism industry off to a good start to the year as officials are confident that Cuba will reach its target of 2.7 million visitors by the end of this year.
By the close of 2010, Cuba hotels and resorts had accommodated 2.5 million travellers who visited the beautiful Caribbean island, a figure which was up by 4.2 per cent on the previous year.
The growth in Cuba’s tourism is one of the main goals for officials and the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor numbers after the recent easing of restrictions for U.S citizens.
Earlier this year, President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on the U.S-Cuba travel embargo allowing Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons. This will allow schools, churches and cultural groups to take holidays to Cuba and learn more about the Caribbean communist country.
Last year, Obama also eased restrictions on U.S-Cuban travellers returning to Cuba to visit family and friends, which has also had a positive impact on the tourism industry.
The new rules could put Cuba at the top of the list for Caribbean holidays as more U.S travellers are keen to explore the beautiful island after decades of the strict travel embargo.
American airports in Florida including Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West and Las Vegas have all applied to handle new charter flights to Cuba and a new web page has been launched by one of America’s largest tourism companies, AmericanTours International LLC (ATI), which provides information for American travellers planning Cuba holidays.
Cuba hotels are preparing for the expected influx of visitors which could lead to between one and three million additional American tourists per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...