Cuba Holidays Experience Boom with New Record for January
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during January this year reached record numbers with an increase of 15.9 per cent compared to the same period last year, indicating that that despite the global economy crisis Cuba tourism continues to boom.
Cuba saw a record number of visitors during January 2011 with 296,000 international tourists arriving to their Cuba holidays; a 15.9 per cent increase compared to the same time last year.
The National Office of Statistics issued a press release which stated that Cuba had registered record numbers with 40,610 more travellers enjoying holidays in Cuba compared to January 2010.
The rise in travellers taking Cuba holidays has set the Caribbean island’s tourism industry off to a good start to the year as officials are confident that Cuba will reach its target of 2.7 million visitors by the end of this year.
By the close of 2010, Cuba hotels and resorts had accommodated 2.5 million travellers who visited the beautiful Caribbean island, a figure which was up by 4.2 per cent on the previous year.
The growth in Cuba’s tourism is one of the main goals for officials and the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor numbers after the recent easing of restrictions for U.S citizens.
Earlier this year, President Obama’s administration eased the restrictions on the U.S-Cuba travel embargo allowing Americans to travel to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural reasons. This will allow schools, churches and cultural groups to take holidays to Cuba and learn more about the Caribbean communist country.
Last year, Obama also eased restrictions on U.S-Cuban travellers returning to Cuba to visit family and friends, which has also had a positive impact on the tourism industry.
The new rules could put Cuba at the top of the list for Caribbean holidays as more U.S travellers are keen to explore the beautiful island after decades of the strict travel embargo.
American airports in Florida including Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Key West and Las Vegas have all applied to handle new charter flights to Cuba and a new web page has been launched by one of America’s largest tourism companies, AmericanTours International LLC (ATI), which provides information for American travellers planning Cuba holidays.
Cuba hotels are preparing for the expected influx of visitors which could lead to between one and three million additional American tourists per year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...