Falmouth Cruise Pier Development is Ready for Jamaica holidays
The development of Falmouth Pier is expected to bring an increase in tourists arriving on Jamaica holidays via cruise ships, and though it will accommodate some of the world's largest cruise vessels, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios will not be left out.
The Minister of Transport and Works, Hon. Mike Henry, has announced that the new development of Falmouth Pier is expected to bring a new surge of travellers on cruise holidays in Jamaica but the Montego Bay and Ocho Rios will continue to benefit.
Speaking about the development of the new Falmouth cruise ship pier which will accommodate some of the world’s biggest cruise vessels, Mr Henry said: “I want us to stop thinking in a declining position, and start thinking of Jamaica.”
The new port is a joint effort between the Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) and Royal Caribbean and is costing US$221 million. The development will also include an 18th century concept town with cobbled streets, ancient tramcars and 500 trees, creating a historical setting for holidaymakers arriving on their Jamaica holidays.
Mr Henri said that Jamaica’s existing ports in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay would not diminish and the government will be assisting them in maintaining their competitive edge within the cruise and tourism market.
“We have to find some US$30 million to increase the dredging at Ocho Rios. We expect Ocho Rios to continue to get the same amount of passengers as last year…Montego Bay will benefit from the rehabilitation of the rum tour and the rail, which I am working on very hard to have (in place) in the next six, nine, ten months,” Mr Henry explained.
Royal Caribbean Cruise are marketing the main attraction in Ocho Rio, Dunn’s River Fall, and owners of local business, attractions and Jamaica hotels between both towns are expected to benefit from the new travellers arriving in Falmouth.
The minister commented: “I have asked them (Royal Caribbean) to work hand in hand with the shopkeepers in Ocho Rios. They could lay on transportation for persons who may want to shop on their way to Dunn’s River Fall. So, basically, I think they (Ocho Rios) will hold their numbers.”
He added that discussions are underway with Carnival Cruise Lines, the main users of ports in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, and Port Royal was still being considered as a valuable contribution to the area, despite delays in its development.
“I am even widening that to look at Portland, down the road, in terms of the development that must take place in the Navy Island area, and then you could end up appealing to different kinds of cruise passengers: We haven’t even touched yachting and we haven’t developed marinas for boat owners yet,” Mr Henry explained.
The first holidaymakers are scheduled to arrive in Falmouth Pier for their Jamaica holidays on the Oasis of the Seas megaship on Tuesday 22nd March, following an announcement from PAJ last week who confirmed that the Falmouth Cruise Terminal has now reached all of its navigational requirements.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...