Falmouth Cruise Pier Development is Ready for Jamaica holidays
The development of Falmouth Pier is expected to bring an increase in tourists arriving on Jamaica holidays via cruise ships, and though it will accommodate some of the world's largest cruise vessels, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios will not be left out.
The Minister of Transport and Works, Hon. Mike Henry, has announced that the new development of Falmouth Pier is expected to bring a new surge of travellers on cruise holidays in Jamaica but the Montego Bay and Ocho Rios will continue to benefit.
Speaking about the development of the new Falmouth cruise ship pier which will accommodate some of the world’s biggest cruise vessels, Mr Henry said: “I want us to stop thinking in a declining position, and start thinking of Jamaica.”
The new port is a joint effort between the Port Authority of Jamaica (PAJ) and Royal Caribbean and is costing US$221 million. The development will also include an 18th century concept town with cobbled streets, ancient tramcars and 500 trees, creating a historical setting for holidaymakers arriving on their Jamaica holidays.
Mr Henri said that Jamaica’s existing ports in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay would not diminish and the government will be assisting them in maintaining their competitive edge within the cruise and tourism market.
“We have to find some US$30 million to increase the dredging at Ocho Rios. We expect Ocho Rios to continue to get the same amount of passengers as last year…Montego Bay will benefit from the rehabilitation of the rum tour and the rail, which I am working on very hard to have (in place) in the next six, nine, ten months,” Mr Henry explained.
Royal Caribbean Cruise are marketing the main attraction in Ocho Rio, Dunn’s River Fall, and owners of local business, attractions and Jamaica hotels between both towns are expected to benefit from the new travellers arriving in Falmouth.
The minister commented: “I have asked them (Royal Caribbean) to work hand in hand with the shopkeepers in Ocho Rios. They could lay on transportation for persons who may want to shop on their way to Dunn’s River Fall. So, basically, I think they (Ocho Rios) will hold their numbers.”
He added that discussions are underway with Carnival Cruise Lines, the main users of ports in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, and Port Royal was still being considered as a valuable contribution to the area, despite delays in its development.
“I am even widening that to look at Portland, down the road, in terms of the development that must take place in the Navy Island area, and then you could end up appealing to different kinds of cruise passengers: We haven’t even touched yachting and we haven’t developed marinas for boat owners yet,” Mr Henry explained.
The first holidaymakers are scheduled to arrive in Falmouth Pier for their Jamaica holidays on the Oasis of the Seas megaship on Tuesday 22nd March, following an announcement from PAJ last week who confirmed that the Falmouth Cruise Terminal has now reached all of its navigational requirements.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...