Cultural Cuba holidays with Havana's 20th International Book Fair 2011
The 20th Cuba International Book Fair provided plenty of cultural activities for travellers enjoying cultural Cuba holidays last week as Havana came alive with literature, music, and thousands of local Cubans who attended the event.
Thousands of tourists on Cuba holidays and local Cuban residents attended the first stage of the 20th International Book Fair in Havana last week which concluded on Sunday 20th February.
The event was attended by over 60 national Cuban exhibitors including publishers and regional cultural centres who had strong ties with or are run by the government.
Approximately 30 foreign publishers attended the literary event including companies financed by nations including Venezuela, Ecuador and Bolivia who were honoured at this year’s event.
At the closing ceremony at San Carlos de la Cabaña fortress on Sunday, President of the Cuban Book Institute, Suleica Romay, said that over 700,000 copies of books had been sold during the event.
The 11-day festival took place across various venues throughout the city including the ALBA Centre, the Casa de las Americas, Pavilion Cuba, the San Carlos de la Cabana colonial fortress, the Centre for (Jose) Marti Studies, the Jose Marti Cultural Society, the Jose Marti Memorial and the National Library.
This year’s theme was dedicated to the cultures of the ALBA-member countries, enabling local residents and travellers on holidays in Cuba to gain an insight into the people of Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador and Nicaragua.
Unlike the more elitist events which take place across America and Europe, the International Book Fair in Havana is a simpler event which offers local Cubans and those enjoying Cuba holidays the chance to experience other cultures through books and their authors.
Organiser of the annual event, Edel Morales, explained: "This fair is oriented toward the reader ... as a chance to acquire books and have a dialogue with the authors, both Cubans and foreigners.
"It is a notable difference to others in the world where people rarely attend. Here it is the people who make the fair."
The venues offered a range of book genres from social sciences, art, literature and biographies, to Cuba travel and guide books about foreign destinations.
Nadira Reyes, a 30-year-old teacher who was searching for colourful books for her young son said: "I come every year. It is good to walk through and get books that are not always available."
Yadriana Torres was looking for books on beauty and massage to aid her studies.
"The problem is that they are expensive, because the most interesting in my field are sold in foreign currency," she said. One book that she was after cost 25 convertible pesos ($27) - more than the average monthly salary for Cubans.
Holidaymakers who missed the Havana event will be able to catch up with the book festival during their holidays to Cuba as it begins a two-week tour of the country's provinces starting this week in Pinar del Rio, Isle of Youth, Matanzas and Sancti Spiritus.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...