St Lucia holidays to Get Makeover with Airport Re-development Project
The Hewanorra International Airport in St Lucia will be undergoing a multi-million dollar makeover as part of a re-development project which will help accommodate passengers on St Lucia holidays and maximise Aviation opportunities for the Caribbean island
A new re-development project is underway at Hewanorra International Airport which will see a multi-million dollar makeover update air passenger terminals and its eight aircraft parking stands, making it easier to accommodate the arrivals of passengers on their St, Lucia holidays.
The project is being welcomed by the Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Honourable Stephenson King, who is excited about the prospects of the airport becoming the Caribbean`s most updated air passenger terminal.
Mr King believes that the timing of the multi-million dollar makeover is crucial as the Caribbean island continues its recovery from the recent hurricane and global financial downturn which has seen a decline in the number of travellers booking holidays in St. Lucia.
Mr King presented the Airport Development Bill before Parliament on Tuesday 1st February 2011 as he looked for approval to source appropriate funding for the project.
“Government believes that citizens around the country—particularly those residing in the south of the island—in the various districts of Vieux Fort North, Vieux-Fort South, Laborie, Soufriere, and Micoud and surrounding areas, will be extremely happy to know that such a project valued at $US 140 million will bring opportunities for the economic development for the next three years,” he said.
The airport’s redevelopment could lead to several opportunities from the Tourism and Civil Aviation industries including an increase in flights to the island which will bring a welcomed boost in passengers booking holidays to St. Lucia.
King explained: “With the many awards received by hotels on the island, and the attractions Saint Lucia provides to millions in the world who visit our shores, we have recognised that as a government, we cannot continue to solely promote and market our tourism product. We must also develop adequate infrastructure to accommodate the increase in business given that aspect of the country’s development is very important.”
The project has received unanimous approval from Parliament and the first phase is expected to take two years. Once completed, the airport is expected to handle twice the current number of annual passengers taking St Lucia holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
- Free daily breakfast and a private terrace and balcony in every room
- Delight in a wide variety of massages and therapies at the beutiful La Mer Spa
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Upgrade and Save! Book and Save when Upgrading to an Oceanview room!
- Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Spoil yourself with eight days of limitless sun and sand on the Caribbean island of St Lucia. One of its brightest...