St Lucia holidays to Get Makeover with Airport Re-development Project
The Hewanorra International Airport in St Lucia will be undergoing a multi-million dollar makeover as part of a re-development project which will help accommodate passengers on St Lucia holidays and maximise Aviation opportunities for the Caribbean island
A new re-development project is underway at Hewanorra International Airport which will see a multi-million dollar makeover update air passenger terminals and its eight aircraft parking stands, making it easier to accommodate the arrivals of passengers on their St, Lucia holidays.
The project is being welcomed by the Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Honourable Stephenson King, who is excited about the prospects of the airport becoming the Caribbean`s most updated air passenger terminal.
Mr King believes that the timing of the multi-million dollar makeover is crucial as the Caribbean island continues its recovery from the recent hurricane and global financial downturn which has seen a decline in the number of travellers booking holidays in St. Lucia.
Mr King presented the Airport Development Bill before Parliament on Tuesday 1st February 2011 as he looked for approval to source appropriate funding for the project.
“Government believes that citizens around the country—particularly those residing in the south of the island—in the various districts of Vieux Fort North, Vieux-Fort South, Laborie, Soufriere, and Micoud and surrounding areas, will be extremely happy to know that such a project valued at $US 140 million will bring opportunities for the economic development for the next three years,” he said.
The airport’s redevelopment could lead to several opportunities from the Tourism and Civil Aviation industries including an increase in flights to the island which will bring a welcomed boost in passengers booking holidays to St. Lucia.
King explained: “With the many awards received by hotels on the island, and the attractions Saint Lucia provides to millions in the world who visit our shores, we have recognised that as a government, we cannot continue to solely promote and market our tourism product. We must also develop adequate infrastructure to accommodate the increase in business given that aspect of the country’s development is very important.”
The project has received unanimous approval from Parliament and the first phase is expected to take two years. Once completed, the airport is expected to handle twice the current number of annual passengers taking St Lucia holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- $1000 worth of complimentary resort credit
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- Book one of the honeymoon and wedding packages to receive extras that range from a romantic sunset cruise, room upgrades to a private candle lit dinner on the beach
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...