St Lucia holidays to Get Makeover with Airport Re-development Project
The Hewanorra International Airport in St Lucia will be undergoing a multi-million dollar makeover as part of a re-development project which will help accommodate passengers on St Lucia holidays and maximise Aviation opportunities for the Caribbean island
A new re-development project is underway at Hewanorra International Airport which will see a multi-million dollar makeover update air passenger terminals and its eight aircraft parking stands, making it easier to accommodate the arrivals of passengers on their St, Lucia holidays.
The project is being welcomed by the Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Honourable Stephenson King, who is excited about the prospects of the airport becoming the Caribbean`s most updated air passenger terminal.
Mr King believes that the timing of the multi-million dollar makeover is crucial as the Caribbean island continues its recovery from the recent hurricane and global financial downturn which has seen a decline in the number of travellers booking holidays in St. Lucia.
Mr King presented the Airport Development Bill before Parliament on Tuesday 1st February 2011 as he looked for approval to source appropriate funding for the project.
“Government believes that citizens around the country—particularly those residing in the south of the island—in the various districts of Vieux Fort North, Vieux-Fort South, Laborie, Soufriere, and Micoud and surrounding areas, will be extremely happy to know that such a project valued at $US 140 million will bring opportunities for the economic development for the next three years,” he said.
The airport’s redevelopment could lead to several opportunities from the Tourism and Civil Aviation industries including an increase in flights to the island which will bring a welcomed boost in passengers booking holidays to St. Lucia.
King explained: “With the many awards received by hotels on the island, and the attractions Saint Lucia provides to millions in the world who visit our shores, we have recognised that as a government, we cannot continue to solely promote and market our tourism product. We must also develop adequate infrastructure to accommodate the increase in business given that aspect of the country’s development is very important.”
The project has received unanimous approval from Parliament and the first phase is expected to take two years. Once completed, the airport is expected to handle twice the current number of annual passengers taking St Lucia holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...