St Lucia holidays to Get Makeover with Airport Re-development Project
The Hewanorra International Airport in St Lucia will be undergoing a multi-million dollar makeover as part of a re-development project which will help accommodate passengers on St Lucia holidays and maximise Aviation opportunities for the Caribbean island
A new re-development project is underway at Hewanorra International Airport which will see a multi-million dollar makeover update air passenger terminals and its eight aircraft parking stands, making it easier to accommodate the arrivals of passengers on their St, Lucia holidays.
The project is being welcomed by the Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Honourable Stephenson King, who is excited about the prospects of the airport becoming the Caribbean`s most updated air passenger terminal.
Mr King believes that the timing of the multi-million dollar makeover is crucial as the Caribbean island continues its recovery from the recent hurricane and global financial downturn which has seen a decline in the number of travellers booking holidays in St. Lucia.
Mr King presented the Airport Development Bill before Parliament on Tuesday 1st February 2011 as he looked for approval to source appropriate funding for the project.
“Government believes that citizens around the country—particularly those residing in the south of the island—in the various districts of Vieux Fort North, Vieux-Fort South, Laborie, Soufriere, and Micoud and surrounding areas, will be extremely happy to know that such a project valued at $US 140 million will bring opportunities for the economic development for the next three years,” he said.
The airport’s redevelopment could lead to several opportunities from the Tourism and Civil Aviation industries including an increase in flights to the island which will bring a welcomed boost in passengers booking holidays to St. Lucia.
King explained: “With the many awards received by hotels on the island, and the attractions Saint Lucia provides to millions in the world who visit our shores, we have recognised that as a government, we cannot continue to solely promote and market our tourism product. We must also develop adequate infrastructure to accommodate the increase in business given that aspect of the country’s development is very important.”
The project has received unanimous approval from Parliament and the first phase is expected to take two years. Once completed, the airport is expected to handle twice the current number of annual passengers taking St Lucia holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...