The Sector for Cruise Jamaica Holidays Records a 10.5% Growth in January
The number of tourists enjoying Jamaica holidays on cruise ships in January 2011 has increased by 10.5 per cent in comparison to the same period last year, according to the Tourism Minister of Jamaica, Edmund Bartlett.
The Minister of Tourism for Jamaica has announced positive figures for the number of holidaymakers enjoying holidays to Jamaica on board cruise ships, with a 10.5 per cent growth during January 2011 compared to the same period last year.
Edmund Bartlett stated: “This is very significant, because what it means is that cruise has now turned the corner properly for growth and we are projecting to have a 15 per cent growth for the 2011/12 period.”
The Tourism Minister added that the rise in tourists enjoying Jamaica holidays in the cruise sector is expected to increase earnings from cruise tourism by eight to nine per cent, bringing a welcome boost to the island’s economy.
The opening of the Falmouth Cruise Shipping Pier and the development of facilities in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and other areas across the Caribbean island, could make Jamaica a prime cruise destination for holidaymakers seeking luxury Caribbean holidays.
“This initiative and new development (Falmouth Pier) will aid in repositioning Jamaica as a major cruise destination with port capabilities for all size vessels, so that if you are thinking of building future vessels of mega size, Jamaica will be able to accommodate you, or if you are making smaller vessels (boutique type), Jamaica will also be able to accommodate you,” Bartlett explained.
Plans are underway to enhance the cruise sector with marketing and promotional campaigns across Europe and other destinations to encourage vessels into Jamaica’s local ports on a land and sea dual arrangement.
Bartlett added: “This will allow for a vacationer to come in and spend one week in the hotels, and another week on the seas. This is going to be a very useful fit, as it will bridge the gap between cruise and land-based tourism.”
As more cruise passengers arrive on their holidays in Jamaica, the island is expecting an increase in luxury brands and a wider range of available duty free goods.
“A whole slew of luxury brands will be coming in to Falmouth itself and we are expecting that this will spin-off into Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and elsewhere,” Bartlett said.
“Cruise and shopping are like Siamese twins and all the destinations that have had high spends from cruise have been destinations with very powerful and strong shopping experiences and so we expect that with the increased volume, there will be higher levels of shopping and this (shopping) will also penetrate the lower end of the merchandising offering, so that our vendors, craft people, the small restaurants and all our attractions will come in for very active consideration by our visitors,” Bartlett concluded.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...