Reopening of Tourist Sites Indicates Egypt holidays are Back on Track
Tourist booking Egypt holidays will be welcome once again be able to explore the country's exquisite and historical sites as the Minister of Antiquities announces plans to reopen Egypt'[s most famous attractions following the recent political riots.
Egypt’s newly-appointed Minister of Antiquities has announced plans to reopen the country’s famous historical tourist sites, following closure during the country’s political riots.
Tourists enjoying Egypt holidays will be able to visit the attractions and which Egypt is so famously known for and officials are optimistic that the tourism sector is back on the road to recovery.
Dr Zahi Hawass, the Minister of Antiquities who was appointed under the former president’s regime, said in a recent statement that “all of the Pharaonic, Coptic, Islamic and modern sites” will open again to visitors, in the hopes that “tourists from around the world will soon return to Egypt”.
Egypt came to a standstill for 18 days as a hundreds of thousands of protestors from all backgrounds took to the streets of cities across the country demanding the overthrow of President Mubarak. After more than two weeks of violent clashes, numerous deaths, defied curfews and disruption to the country, President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from his position.
During the riots, many of historical tourist attractions were closed down for security measures because officials were concerned about damage and theft.
Members of the ministry and the Antiquities and Tourism Police recently made a decision to reopen the sites to visitors which included the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and Valley of the Kings. Travel along the Suez Canal was fortunately not affected by the political situation and continues to operate normally.
Many Egypt resorts in Luxor came to a standstill as travellers were warned to stay away from the country during these disruptive times. Egypt hotels throughout the main cities have suffered throughout the duration of the protests as flight curfews were enforced and many tourists were forced to postpone or cancel their Egypt holidays.
Despite the political unrest in the country, the reopening of Egypt’s famous sites is indicating a positive turnaround for the tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Soma Bay Diving Centre offers guests a chance to explore the magnificent coral reefs in the tranquil calm waters of the Red Sea.
- The hotel's dramatic architecture was inspired by the temple at Karnak, combining the splendours of ancient egypt with the comforts of the modern world
- Guests can take advantage of the natural healing powers of the renowned waters and sands of Soma Bay
- The Red sea is renowned for its marine life so guests can take full advantage of the wonderful diving and snorkelling opportunities
Enjoy an Egyptian holiday of a lifetime, exploring Cairo and Luxor along with a fantastic cruise included
Stay in Cairo, Luxor and journey through the nile on a fantastic Cruise, given you the chance to discover Egypt
- Steigenberger Hotel Nile Palace is set in the heart of Luxor, close to the Temple of Luxor and with a magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile.
- Ms Royal Viking is a smart, sophisticated ambience with all amenities included for that relaxing sail along the ancient River Nile
- Le Meridien Pyramids is set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo.
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...