Reopening of Tourist Sites Indicates Egypt holidays are Back on Track
Tourist booking Egypt holidays will be welcome once again be able to explore the country's exquisite and historical sites as the Minister of Antiquities announces plans to reopen Egypt'[s most famous attractions following the recent political riots.
Egypt’s newly-appointed Minister of Antiquities has announced plans to reopen the country’s famous historical tourist sites, following closure during the country’s political riots.
Tourists enjoying Egypt holidays will be able to visit the attractions and which Egypt is so famously known for and officials are optimistic that the tourism sector is back on the road to recovery.
Dr Zahi Hawass, the Minister of Antiquities who was appointed under the former president’s regime, said in a recent statement that “all of the Pharaonic, Coptic, Islamic and modern sites” will open again to visitors, in the hopes that “tourists from around the world will soon return to Egypt”.
Egypt came to a standstill for 18 days as a hundreds of thousands of protestors from all backgrounds took to the streets of cities across the country demanding the overthrow of President Mubarak. After more than two weeks of violent clashes, numerous deaths, defied curfews and disruption to the country, President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from his position.
During the riots, many of historical tourist attractions were closed down for security measures because officials were concerned about damage and theft.
Members of the ministry and the Antiquities and Tourism Police recently made a decision to reopen the sites to visitors which included the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and Valley of the Kings. Travel along the Suez Canal was fortunately not affected by the political situation and continues to operate normally.
Many Egypt resorts in Luxor came to a standstill as travellers were warned to stay away from the country during these disruptive times. Egypt hotels throughout the main cities have suffered throughout the duration of the protests as flight curfews were enforced and many tourists were forced to postpone or cancel their Egypt holidays.
Despite the political unrest in the country, the reopening of Egypt’s famous sites is indicating a positive turnaround for the tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...