Reopening of Tourist Sites Indicates Egypt holidays are Back on Track
Tourist booking Egypt holidays will be welcome once again be able to explore the country's exquisite and historical sites as the Minister of Antiquities announces plans to reopen Egypt'[s most famous attractions following the recent political riots.
Egypt’s newly-appointed Minister of Antiquities has announced plans to reopen the country’s famous historical tourist sites, following closure during the country’s political riots.
Tourists enjoying Egypt holidays will be able to visit the attractions and which Egypt is so famously known for and officials are optimistic that the tourism sector is back on the road to recovery.
Dr Zahi Hawass, the Minister of Antiquities who was appointed under the former president’s regime, said in a recent statement that “all of the Pharaonic, Coptic, Islamic and modern sites” will open again to visitors, in the hopes that “tourists from around the world will soon return to Egypt”.
Egypt came to a standstill for 18 days as a hundreds of thousands of protestors from all backgrounds took to the streets of cities across the country demanding the overthrow of President Mubarak. After more than two weeks of violent clashes, numerous deaths, defied curfews and disruption to the country, President Hosni Mubarak stepped down from his position.
During the riots, many of historical tourist attractions were closed down for security measures because officials were concerned about damage and theft.
Members of the ministry and the Antiquities and Tourism Police recently made a decision to reopen the sites to visitors which included the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and Valley of the Kings. Travel along the Suez Canal was fortunately not affected by the political situation and continues to operate normally.
Many Egypt resorts in Luxor came to a standstill as travellers were warned to stay away from the country during these disruptive times. Egypt hotels throughout the main cities have suffered throughout the duration of the protests as flight curfews were enforced and many tourists were forced to postpone or cancel their Egypt holidays.
Despite the political unrest in the country, the reopening of Egypt’s famous sites is indicating a positive turnaround for the tourism industry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...