US Senators Push Amendment to Bar New flights to Cuba holidays from U.S Airports
One month after President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel critics are making their feelings known by submitting an amendment which will ban any flights to Cuba which will depart from U.S airports.
Critics of the decision made by President Barak Obama to ease restrictions on Cuba travel have submitted an amendment which will block any flights from U.S airports taking travellers to their holidays on Cuba.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S residents travelling to Cuba religious, educational, cultural and humanitarian reasons.
Cuban-American Senators, Marco Rubio and Bob Menendez announced last week that they have submitted an amendment which would ban any new flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
At present only Miami, Los Angeles and New York airports host flights to Cuba but the changes to the restrictions could see any top-ranked security airports in the United States providing charter flights for Cuba holidays.
Airports in Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Key West and Las Vegas have been pushing the decision to allow them to handle some of the Cuba charter flights, providing more options for holidaymakers booking holidays to Cuba.
Rubio, a Florida Republican, said: "Increasing direct commercial or charter aircraft flights with state sponsors of terrorism is totally irresponsible.
"There is no reason for the United States to help enrich state sponsors of terrorism."
AmericanTours International launched a new web page last week dedicated to Cuba holidays and travel to the Caribbean Island for U.S residents. Last year the Obama administration eased restrictions on Cuban-Americans travelling to Cuba to visit family and the recent changes to the embargo are expected to have a significant impact on the island’s tourism industry.
The web page, CubaATI, offers advice and information on Cuba travel including hotels, flights and local guides. The website lists the new categories that eligible U.S residents can travel under as "People to People" associations, academic and religious groups, professional research, meetings, conferences, telecommunications, agricultural, medical, humanitarian, and "Public Performances, Athletic, Non-athletic Competitions, Exhibitions."
The web page heading reads "Connect Understand Become Amigos!" and describest itself as "Trusted and Legal — Easy Travel For Americans".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...