US Senators Push Amendment to Bar New flights to Cuba holidays from U.S Airports
One month after President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel critics are making their feelings known by submitting an amendment which will ban any flights to Cuba which will depart from U.S airports.
Critics of the decision made by President Barak Obama to ease restrictions on Cuba travel have submitted an amendment which will block any flights from U.S airports taking travellers to their holidays on Cuba.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S residents travelling to Cuba religious, educational, cultural and humanitarian reasons.
Cuban-American Senators, Marco Rubio and Bob Menendez announced last week that they have submitted an amendment which would ban any new flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
At present only Miami, Los Angeles and New York airports host flights to Cuba but the changes to the restrictions could see any top-ranked security airports in the United States providing charter flights for Cuba holidays.
Airports in Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Key West and Las Vegas have been pushing the decision to allow them to handle some of the Cuba charter flights, providing more options for holidaymakers booking holidays to Cuba.
Rubio, a Florida Republican, said: "Increasing direct commercial or charter aircraft flights with state sponsors of terrorism is totally irresponsible.
"There is no reason for the United States to help enrich state sponsors of terrorism."
AmericanTours International launched a new web page last week dedicated to Cuba holidays and travel to the Caribbean Island for U.S residents. Last year the Obama administration eased restrictions on Cuban-Americans travelling to Cuba to visit family and the recent changes to the embargo are expected to have a significant impact on the island’s tourism industry.
The web page, CubaATI, offers advice and information on Cuba travel including hotels, flights and local guides. The website lists the new categories that eligible U.S residents can travel under as "People to People" associations, academic and religious groups, professional research, meetings, conferences, telecommunications, agricultural, medical, humanitarian, and "Public Performances, Athletic, Non-athletic Competitions, Exhibitions."
The web page heading reads "Connect Understand Become Amigos!" and describest itself as "Trusted and Legal — Easy Travel For Americans".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...