US Senators Push Amendment to Bar New flights to Cuba holidays from U.S Airports
One month after President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel critics are making their feelings known by submitting an amendment which will ban any flights to Cuba which will depart from U.S airports.
Critics of the decision made by President Barak Obama to ease restrictions on Cuba travel have submitted an amendment which will block any flights from U.S airports taking travellers to their holidays on Cuba.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S residents travelling to Cuba religious, educational, cultural and humanitarian reasons.
Cuban-American Senators, Marco Rubio and Bob Menendez announced last week that they have submitted an amendment which would ban any new flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
At present only Miami, Los Angeles and New York airports host flights to Cuba but the changes to the restrictions could see any top-ranked security airports in the United States providing charter flights for Cuba holidays.
Airports in Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Key West and Las Vegas have been pushing the decision to allow them to handle some of the Cuba charter flights, providing more options for holidaymakers booking holidays to Cuba.
Rubio, a Florida Republican, said: "Increasing direct commercial or charter aircraft flights with state sponsors of terrorism is totally irresponsible.
"There is no reason for the United States to help enrich state sponsors of terrorism."
AmericanTours International launched a new web page last week dedicated to Cuba holidays and travel to the Caribbean Island for U.S residents. Last year the Obama administration eased restrictions on Cuban-Americans travelling to Cuba to visit family and the recent changes to the embargo are expected to have a significant impact on the island’s tourism industry.
The web page, CubaATI, offers advice and information on Cuba travel including hotels, flights and local guides. The website lists the new categories that eligible U.S residents can travel under as "People to People" associations, academic and religious groups, professional research, meetings, conferences, telecommunications, agricultural, medical, humanitarian, and "Public Performances, Athletic, Non-athletic Competitions, Exhibitions."
The web page heading reads "Connect Understand Become Amigos!" and describest itself as "Trusted and Legal — Easy Travel For Americans".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...