US Senators Push Amendment to Bar New flights to Cuba holidays from U.S Airports
One month after President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel critics are making their feelings known by submitting an amendment which will ban any flights to Cuba which will depart from U.S airports.
Critics of the decision made by President Barak Obama to ease restrictions on Cuba travel have submitted an amendment which will block any flights from U.S airports taking travellers to their holidays on Cuba.
Earlier this year, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S residents travelling to Cuba religious, educational, cultural and humanitarian reasons.
Cuban-American Senators, Marco Rubio and Bob Menendez announced last week that they have submitted an amendment which would ban any new flights to Cuba from U.S airports.
At present only Miami, Los Angeles and New York airports host flights to Cuba but the changes to the restrictions could see any top-ranked security airports in the United States providing charter flights for Cuba holidays.
Airports in Tampa, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Key West and Las Vegas have been pushing the decision to allow them to handle some of the Cuba charter flights, providing more options for holidaymakers booking holidays to Cuba.
Rubio, a Florida Republican, said: "Increasing direct commercial or charter aircraft flights with state sponsors of terrorism is totally irresponsible.
"There is no reason for the United States to help enrich state sponsors of terrorism."
AmericanTours International launched a new web page last week dedicated to Cuba holidays and travel to the Caribbean Island for U.S residents. Last year the Obama administration eased restrictions on Cuban-Americans travelling to Cuba to visit family and the recent changes to the embargo are expected to have a significant impact on the island’s tourism industry.
The web page, CubaATI, offers advice and information on Cuba travel including hotels, flights and local guides. The website lists the new categories that eligible U.S residents can travel under as "People to People" associations, academic and religious groups, professional research, meetings, conferences, telecommunications, agricultural, medical, humanitarian, and "Public Performances, Athletic, Non-athletic Competitions, Exhibitions."
The web page heading reads "Connect Understand Become Amigos!" and describest itself as "Trusted and Legal — Easy Travel For Americans".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...