Marriott to Operate Eco Friendly Hotels in the Caribbean
Marriott International is planning to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean as it receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Dev
Travellers will soon be able to enjoy eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean at Marriott-operated hotels as the company receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Development Bank.
The funds will be used to finance eight eco friendly hotels in the Caribbean in countries which will provide Costa Rica, Panama,, Trinidad, Tobago, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Jamaica holidays for travellers from all over the world. Each of the properties will be built to LEED standards (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
LEED requires that all properties meet specific requirements in greenhouse emissions, efficiency in water use, energy conservation, and improved indoor environmentally quality and resource management.
The new hotels will be developed by the Costa Rica-based company, Caribe Hospitality SA and the first property which will be financed by the loan programme will be a 127-room Marriott Courtyard hotel in Alajuela which is located near the Juan Santamaría International Airport, just 12 miles from San José in Costa Rica.
Most LEED-certified buildings located in Latin America are used as offices and are mostly situated in Mexico and Brazil and the new Marriott hotels will be one of the first companies to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean for many travellers with the help of the bank’s funding programme.
Marriott International announced in December 2010 that it would be partnering with Brazil’s PDG Realty to develop 50 Fairfield Inns across Brazil. All of the properties will feature eco friendly features to conserve energy and water.
Marriott and PDG Realty will make a donation to support the Amazon rain forest through Amazonas Sustainable Foundation for every hotel they build.
The limited-service Fairfield brand will debut into Brazil just in time for the football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. Marriott now operates four hotels in Brazil including the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Hotel Sao Paulo and the Marriott Executive Apartments Sao Paulo.
The company now offer eight hotel brands outside of the United States as it continues to expand on an international scale.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...