Marriott to Operate Eco Friendly Hotels in the Caribbean
Marriott International is planning to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean as it receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Dev
Travellers will soon be able to enjoy eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean at Marriott-operated hotels as the company receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Development Bank.
The funds will be used to finance eight eco friendly hotels in the Caribbean in countries which will provide Costa Rica, Panama,, Trinidad, Tobago, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Jamaica holidays for travellers from all over the world. Each of the properties will be built to LEED standards (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
LEED requires that all properties meet specific requirements in greenhouse emissions, efficiency in water use, energy conservation, and improved indoor environmentally quality and resource management.
The new hotels will be developed by the Costa Rica-based company, Caribe Hospitality SA and the first property which will be financed by the loan programme will be a 127-room Marriott Courtyard hotel in Alajuela which is located near the Juan Santamaría International Airport, just 12 miles from San José in Costa Rica.
Most LEED-certified buildings located in Latin America are used as offices and are mostly situated in Mexico and Brazil and the new Marriott hotels will be one of the first companies to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean for many travellers with the help of the bank’s funding programme.
Marriott International announced in December 2010 that it would be partnering with Brazil’s PDG Realty to develop 50 Fairfield Inns across Brazil. All of the properties will feature eco friendly features to conserve energy and water.
Marriott and PDG Realty will make a donation to support the Amazon rain forest through Amazonas Sustainable Foundation for every hotel they build.
The limited-service Fairfield brand will debut into Brazil just in time for the football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. Marriott now operates four hotels in Brazil including the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Hotel Sao Paulo and the Marriott Executive Apartments Sao Paulo.
The company now offer eight hotel brands outside of the United States as it continues to expand on an international scale.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
- Free upgrade to Deluxe Pool View
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Enjoy $200 Resort Coupons to use on Spa Treatments, Romantic Dinners and more
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
- Save more this March with exclusive savings plus 1st Child stays and Plays Free
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...