Marriott to Operate Eco Friendly Hotels in the Caribbean
Marriott International is planning to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean as it receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Dev
Travellers will soon be able to enjoy eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean at Marriott-operated hotels as the company receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Development Bank.
The funds will be used to finance eight eco friendly hotels in the Caribbean in countries which will provide Costa Rica, Panama,, Trinidad, Tobago, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Jamaica holidays for travellers from all over the world. Each of the properties will be built to LEED standards (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
LEED requires that all properties meet specific requirements in greenhouse emissions, efficiency in water use, energy conservation, and improved indoor environmentally quality and resource management.
The new hotels will be developed by the Costa Rica-based company, Caribe Hospitality SA and the first property which will be financed by the loan programme will be a 127-room Marriott Courtyard hotel in Alajuela which is located near the Juan Santamaría International Airport, just 12 miles from San José in Costa Rica.
Most LEED-certified buildings located in Latin America are used as offices and are mostly situated in Mexico and Brazil and the new Marriott hotels will be one of the first companies to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean for many travellers with the help of the bank’s funding programme.
Marriott International announced in December 2010 that it would be partnering with Brazil’s PDG Realty to develop 50 Fairfield Inns across Brazil. All of the properties will feature eco friendly features to conserve energy and water.
Marriott and PDG Realty will make a donation to support the Amazon rain forest through Amazonas Sustainable Foundation for every hotel they build.
The limited-service Fairfield brand will debut into Brazil just in time for the football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. Marriott now operates four hotels in Brazil including the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Hotel Sao Paulo and the Marriott Executive Apartments Sao Paulo.
The company now offer eight hotel brands outside of the United States as it continues to expand on an international scale.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...