Marriott to Operate Eco Friendly Hotels in the Caribbean
Marriott International is planning to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean as it receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Dev
Travellers will soon be able to enjoy eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean at Marriott-operated hotels as the company receives $42 million in funding from the Inter-American Development Bank.
The funds will be used to finance eight eco friendly hotels in the Caribbean in countries which will provide Costa Rica, Panama,, Trinidad, Tobago, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala and Jamaica holidays for travellers from all over the world. Each of the properties will be built to LEED standards (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
LEED requires that all properties meet specific requirements in greenhouse emissions, efficiency in water use, energy conservation, and improved indoor environmentally quality and resource management.
The new hotels will be developed by the Costa Rica-based company, Caribe Hospitality SA and the first property which will be financed by the loan programme will be a 127-room Marriott Courtyard hotel in Alajuela which is located near the Juan Santamaría International Airport, just 12 miles from San José in Costa Rica.
Most LEED-certified buildings located in Latin America are used as offices and are mostly situated in Mexico and Brazil and the new Marriott hotels will be one of the first companies to provide eco friendly holidays in the Caribbean for many travellers with the help of the bank’s funding programme.
Marriott International announced in December 2010 that it would be partnering with Brazil’s PDG Realty to develop 50 Fairfield Inns across Brazil. All of the properties will feature eco friendly features to conserve energy and water.
Marriott and PDG Realty will make a donation to support the Amazon rain forest through Amazonas Sustainable Foundation for every hotel they build.
The limited-service Fairfield brand will debut into Brazil just in time for the football World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016. Marriott now operates four hotels in Brazil including the JW Marriott Hotel Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo Airport Marriott Hotel, Renaissance Hotel Sao Paulo and the Marriott Executive Apartments Sao Paulo.
The company now offer eight hotel brands outside of the United States as it continues to expand on an international scale.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...