Travellers are rediscovering adventure holidays
The travel market is showing signs of recovery as travellers seek high value holidays with the chance to encounter unique experiences at the same time such as safaris in Africa, mountain climbing in the Alps or scuba diving in the Maldives.
Travellers and tour companies are restoring their faith in the travel market once again as it begins to show recovery after a couple of difficult years and offers holidays on a different scale.
High value holidays are in demand as travellers are keen to tighten their purse strings without having to compromise on their luxuries or destination choices.
Many travellers are keen to take part in unique experience during their holidays and many are opting for luxury boot camps, or high value holidays which focus on arts, literature and cultural.
Simon Mayle of International Luxury Travel Market, an annual trade event in Europe and Asia, explained: "People are not flaunting their wealth; it is all about having out-of-the-world experiences."
Michelle Grant from Euromonitor International, a market-research group, adds that travellers are looking to meet their personal goals and accomplishments during their holidays: "It is the search for a unique experience where you reap benefits as well, such as climbing Kilimanjaro.
"People this year are looking to take their bucket-list holidays."
Other factors which influence travellers' choice of holidays include ethical concerns as holiday makers seek alternative forms luxury holidays which combine eco-tourism and sustainability.
Once destination which offers this eco-luxury holiday combination is the Maldives where resorts are becoming increasingly aware of their carbon footprint and the impact of travel. Six Senses started six years ago in the Maldives and offer 14 resorts for travellers on Asia and Maldives holidays. Their intention is to become carbon neutral by 2020 and one of its latest initiatives is an eco-villa in Thailand which is completely powered by solar energy and water.
Tom Marchant from Black Tomato luxury travel specialists says that old fashioned exploration trips are becoming fashionable.
"We have seen the need for retro holidays that involve slowly retracing the steps of the great explorers," he explains. "It is a backlash against the culture of immediacy."
Travellers looking for off-the-beaten-track holidays are heading to Latin America where an array of unique experiences awaits them.
Chief executive of flight-comparison website Skyscanner, Gareth Williams, says: "Flight searches for Chile have doubled over the last 12 months, while year-on-year searches to Argentina have increased by a massive 162% We would expect the popularity of these holiday destinations to continue well into 2011."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...