Travellers are rediscovering adventure holidays
The travel market is showing signs of recovery as travellers seek high value holidays with the chance to encounter unique experiences at the same time such as safaris in Africa, mountain climbing in the Alps or scuba diving in the Maldives.
Travellers and tour companies are restoring their faith in the travel market once again as it begins to show recovery after a couple of difficult years and offers holidays on a different scale.
High value holidays are in demand as travellers are keen to tighten their purse strings without having to compromise on their luxuries or destination choices.
Many travellers are keen to take part in unique experience during their holidays and many are opting for luxury boot camps, or high value holidays which focus on arts, literature and cultural.
Simon Mayle of International Luxury Travel Market, an annual trade event in Europe and Asia, explained: "People are not flaunting their wealth; it is all about having out-of-the-world experiences."
Michelle Grant from Euromonitor International, a market-research group, adds that travellers are looking to meet their personal goals and accomplishments during their holidays: "It is the search for a unique experience where you reap benefits as well, such as climbing Kilimanjaro.
"People this year are looking to take their bucket-list holidays."
Other factors which influence travellers' choice of holidays include ethical concerns as holiday makers seek alternative forms luxury holidays which combine eco-tourism and sustainability.
Once destination which offers this eco-luxury holiday combination is the Maldives where resorts are becoming increasingly aware of their carbon footprint and the impact of travel. Six Senses started six years ago in the Maldives and offer 14 resorts for travellers on Asia and Maldives holidays. Their intention is to become carbon neutral by 2020 and one of its latest initiatives is an eco-villa in Thailand which is completely powered by solar energy and water.
Tom Marchant from Black Tomato luxury travel specialists says that old fashioned exploration trips are becoming fashionable.
"We have seen the need for retro holidays that involve slowly retracing the steps of the great explorers," he explains. "It is a backlash against the culture of immediacy."
Travellers looking for off-the-beaten-track holidays are heading to Latin America where an array of unique experiences awaits them.
Chief executive of flight-comparison website Skyscanner, Gareth Williams, says: "Flight searches for Chile have doubled over the last 12 months, while year-on-year searches to Argentina have increased by a massive 162% We would expect the popularity of these holiday destinations to continue well into 2011."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...