Travellers are rediscovering adventure holidays
The travel market is showing signs of recovery as travellers seek high value holidays with the chance to encounter unique experiences at the same time such as safaris in Africa, mountain climbing in the Alps or scuba diving in the Maldives.
Travellers and tour companies are restoring their faith in the travel market once again as it begins to show recovery after a couple of difficult years and offers holidays on a different scale.
High value holidays are in demand as travellers are keen to tighten their purse strings without having to compromise on their luxuries or destination choices.
Many travellers are keen to take part in unique experience during their holidays and many are opting for luxury boot camps, or high value holidays which focus on arts, literature and cultural.
Simon Mayle of International Luxury Travel Market, an annual trade event in Europe and Asia, explained: "People are not flaunting their wealth; it is all about having out-of-the-world experiences."
Michelle Grant from Euromonitor International, a market-research group, adds that travellers are looking to meet their personal goals and accomplishments during their holidays: "It is the search for a unique experience where you reap benefits as well, such as climbing Kilimanjaro.
"People this year are looking to take their bucket-list holidays."
Other factors which influence travellers' choice of holidays include ethical concerns as holiday makers seek alternative forms luxury holidays which combine eco-tourism and sustainability.
Once destination which offers this eco-luxury holiday combination is the Maldives where resorts are becoming increasingly aware of their carbon footprint and the impact of travel. Six Senses started six years ago in the Maldives and offer 14 resorts for travellers on Asia and Maldives holidays. Their intention is to become carbon neutral by 2020 and one of its latest initiatives is an eco-villa in Thailand which is completely powered by solar energy and water.
Tom Marchant from Black Tomato luxury travel specialists says that old fashioned exploration trips are becoming fashionable.
"We have seen the need for retro holidays that involve slowly retracing the steps of the great explorers," he explains. "It is a backlash against the culture of immediacy."
Travellers looking for off-the-beaten-track holidays are heading to Latin America where an array of unique experiences awaits them.
Chief executive of flight-comparison website Skyscanner, Gareth Williams, says: "Flight searches for Chile have doubled over the last 12 months, while year-on-year searches to Argentina have increased by a massive 162% We would expect the popularity of these holiday destinations to continue well into 2011."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...