Elite Island Resorts looks to expand despite tough climate
Elite Island Resorts is looking to expand its portfolio in St. Lucia and Barbados in order to offer more luxury Caribbean holidays for travellers, despite the recent increase of taxes which may put many tourists off booking their trips.
Elite Island Resorts is looking to acquire more properties in the Caribbean to expand its portfolio, despite concerns over rising taxes, which could deter travellers from booking their luxury Caribbean holidays.
Chairman of Elite Island Resorts, Rob Barrett, said that the company is looking to expand its portfolio with new properties offering St. Lucia holidays and Barbados holidays for holiday makers.
Barrett predicts that 2011 will be a year of "activity and changes of ownership" within the hotels and resorts industry after a slow recovery from the global economic situation. He commented that many Caribbean resorts will experience "three years of losses" and global recovery would be slow over the next 12-18 months.
Barrett also spoke of his concern about the rising taxes for travellers on luxury Caribbean holidays.
He said: "It's sad the consumer has so many taxes now, it's getting to the point where 40-50% of your holiday cost is taxes.
"I'm sure Air Passenger Duty has had an effect, and unfortunately our lobbying was unsuccessful to date. But it's hard to say what that impact is, there's no way to determine that."
Antigua is Elite's strongest holiday destination and the company owns three properties on the Caribbean island: St James's Club, Galley Bay and The Verandah.
Barratt added that Christmas was "disappointing" for the company as many travellers were unable to travel to the Caribbean because of bad weather in the UK, followed by further bad weather in the United States.
At the beginning of 2011, the Antiguan government increased its airport tax from $20 to $28. According to the Vice-President of Elite, Vernon Jeffers, many of its hotels have been offering special discounts and promotions to entice travellers which will counter the tax rise.
Jeffers added that he still hopes to see a change in the APD rises and that the Caribbean Tourism Association was still lobbying the increase.
"It is trying to go for a reversal. We hope we are being listened to, but there are currently no signs of a reversal coming soon," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...