Elite Island Resorts looks to expand despite tough climate
Elite Island Resorts is looking to expand its portfolio in St. Lucia and Barbados in order to offer more luxury Caribbean holidays for travellers, despite the recent increase of taxes which may put many tourists off booking their trips.
Elite Island Resorts is looking to acquire more properties in the Caribbean to expand its portfolio, despite concerns over rising taxes, which could deter travellers from booking their luxury Caribbean holidays.
Chairman of Elite Island Resorts, Rob Barrett, said that the company is looking to expand its portfolio with new properties offering St. Lucia holidays and Barbados holidays for holiday makers.
Barrett predicts that 2011 will be a year of "activity and changes of ownership" within the hotels and resorts industry after a slow recovery from the global economic situation. He commented that many Caribbean resorts will experience "three years of losses" and global recovery would be slow over the next 12-18 months.
Barrett also spoke of his concern about the rising taxes for travellers on luxury Caribbean holidays.
He said: "It's sad the consumer has so many taxes now, it's getting to the point where 40-50% of your holiday cost is taxes.
"I'm sure Air Passenger Duty has had an effect, and unfortunately our lobbying was unsuccessful to date. But it's hard to say what that impact is, there's no way to determine that."
Antigua is Elite's strongest holiday destination and the company owns three properties on the Caribbean island: St James's Club, Galley Bay and The Verandah.
Barratt added that Christmas was "disappointing" for the company as many travellers were unable to travel to the Caribbean because of bad weather in the UK, followed by further bad weather in the United States.
At the beginning of 2011, the Antiguan government increased its airport tax from $20 to $28. According to the Vice-President of Elite, Vernon Jeffers, many of its hotels have been offering special discounts and promotions to entice travellers which will counter the tax rise.
Jeffers added that he still hopes to see a change in the APD rises and that the Caribbean Tourism Association was still lobbying the increase.
"It is trying to go for a reversal. We hope we are being listened to, but there are currently no signs of a reversal coming soon," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...