Elite Island Resorts looks to expand despite tough climate
Elite Island Resorts is looking to expand its portfolio in St. Lucia and Barbados in order to offer more luxury Caribbean holidays for travellers, despite the recent increase of taxes which may put many tourists off booking their trips.
Elite Island Resorts is looking to acquire more properties in the Caribbean to expand its portfolio, despite concerns over rising taxes, which could deter travellers from booking their luxury Caribbean holidays.
Chairman of Elite Island Resorts, Rob Barrett, said that the company is looking to expand its portfolio with new properties offering St. Lucia holidays and Barbados holidays for holiday makers.
Barrett predicts that 2011 will be a year of "activity and changes of ownership" within the hotels and resorts industry after a slow recovery from the global economic situation. He commented that many Caribbean resorts will experience "three years of losses" and global recovery would be slow over the next 12-18 months.
Barrett also spoke of his concern about the rising taxes for travellers on luxury Caribbean holidays.
He said: "It's sad the consumer has so many taxes now, it's getting to the point where 40-50% of your holiday cost is taxes.
"I'm sure Air Passenger Duty has had an effect, and unfortunately our lobbying was unsuccessful to date. But it's hard to say what that impact is, there's no way to determine that."
Antigua is Elite's strongest holiday destination and the company owns three properties on the Caribbean island: St James's Club, Galley Bay and The Verandah.
Barratt added that Christmas was "disappointing" for the company as many travellers were unable to travel to the Caribbean because of bad weather in the UK, followed by further bad weather in the United States.
At the beginning of 2011, the Antiguan government increased its airport tax from $20 to $28. According to the Vice-President of Elite, Vernon Jeffers, many of its hotels have been offering special discounts and promotions to entice travellers which will counter the tax rise.
Jeffers added that he still hopes to see a change in the APD rises and that the Caribbean Tourism Association was still lobbying the increase.
"It is trying to go for a reversal. We hope we are being listened to, but there are currently no signs of a reversal coming soon," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...