Elite Island Resorts looks to expand despite tough climate
Elite Island Resorts is looking to expand its portfolio in St. Lucia and Barbados in order to offer more luxury Caribbean holidays for travellers, despite the recent increase of taxes which may put many tourists off booking their trips.
Elite Island Resorts is looking to acquire more properties in the Caribbean to expand its portfolio, despite concerns over rising taxes, which could deter travellers from booking their luxury Caribbean holidays.
Chairman of Elite Island Resorts, Rob Barrett, said that the company is looking to expand its portfolio with new properties offering St. Lucia holidays and Barbados holidays for holiday makers.
Barrett predicts that 2011 will be a year of "activity and changes of ownership" within the hotels and resorts industry after a slow recovery from the global economic situation. He commented that many Caribbean resorts will experience "three years of losses" and global recovery would be slow over the next 12-18 months.
Barrett also spoke of his concern about the rising taxes for travellers on luxury Caribbean holidays.
He said: "It's sad the consumer has so many taxes now, it's getting to the point where 40-50% of your holiday cost is taxes.
"I'm sure Air Passenger Duty has had an effect, and unfortunately our lobbying was unsuccessful to date. But it's hard to say what that impact is, there's no way to determine that."
Antigua is Elite's strongest holiday destination and the company owns three properties on the Caribbean island: St James's Club, Galley Bay and The Verandah.
Barratt added that Christmas was "disappointing" for the company as many travellers were unable to travel to the Caribbean because of bad weather in the UK, followed by further bad weather in the United States.
At the beginning of 2011, the Antiguan government increased its airport tax from $20 to $28. According to the Vice-President of Elite, Vernon Jeffers, many of its hotels have been offering special discounts and promotions to entice travellers which will counter the tax rise.
Jeffers added that he still hopes to see a change in the APD rises and that the Caribbean Tourism Association was still lobbying the increase.
"It is trying to go for a reversal. We hope we are being listened to, but there are currently no signs of a reversal coming soon," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...