Foreign Office advises travellers to stay away from Egypt
Airlines are bringing travellers on their Egypt holidays home early after the Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential travel to a number of major destinations in Egypt as the violent demonstrations continue.
British Airways chartered an aircraft to bring back tourists who were on the Egypt holidays as the Foreign Office advises against travel to the country's main destinations unless it is essential.
The aircraft picked passengers up from the country's capital city, Cairo, and returned them to Gatwick Airport in London, UK, cutting their Egypt holidays short because of the ongoing violent demonstrations.
The Foreign Office website stated: "In light of the ongoing demonstrations, we continue to advise against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. We recommend that British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez leave by commercial means, where it is safe to do so.
"If you are in other areas of Egypt where there have been disturbances, we recommend you follow the advice below and stay indoors wherever possible. This does not affect transits through Cairo airport for onward travel to other destinations, although there is some disruption to flight schedules.
"A nationwide curfew is in place from 1600 to 0800 local time. You must respect the curfew and listen for announcements about any changes to the curfew requirements. The internet is currently not working and mobile phone coverage is intermittent.
"The Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to several hot spots in Egypt as airlines bring British tourists home early."
British Airways is also changing the times of its flights to avoid the night curfew which is in effect between 3pm and 8am. The airline has announced that passengers can still change their date of travel, have their money refunded or use the ticket value to fly to another destination.
Most of the violence has been seeing in the capital and many Cairo hotels are seeing the effects as tourists avoid major hotpots.
British tourists on Sharm el Sheikh holidays last week spoke of their relief of leaving Egypt as they waited of their fights, and despite the violent demonstrations not yet reaching the Red Sea resort, they believe it would only be a matter of time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...
Surprise yourself with a holiday on the shores of the Red Sea at Hurghada, one of Egypt's most sought-sfter resort...