Foreign Office advises travellers to stay away from Egypt
Airlines are bringing travellers on their Egypt holidays home early after the Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential travel to a number of major destinations in Egypt as the violent demonstrations continue.
British Airways chartered an aircraft to bring back tourists who were on the Egypt holidays as the Foreign Office advises against travel to the country's main destinations unless it is essential.
The aircraft picked passengers up from the country's capital city, Cairo, and returned them to Gatwick Airport in London, UK, cutting their Egypt holidays short because of the ongoing violent demonstrations.
The Foreign Office website stated: "In light of the ongoing demonstrations, we continue to advise against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. We recommend that British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez leave by commercial means, where it is safe to do so.
"If you are in other areas of Egypt where there have been disturbances, we recommend you follow the advice below and stay indoors wherever possible. This does not affect transits through Cairo airport for onward travel to other destinations, although there is some disruption to flight schedules.
"A nationwide curfew is in place from 1600 to 0800 local time. You must respect the curfew and listen for announcements about any changes to the curfew requirements. The internet is currently not working and mobile phone coverage is intermittent.
"The Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to several hot spots in Egypt as airlines bring British tourists home early."
British Airways is also changing the times of its flights to avoid the night curfew which is in effect between 3pm and 8am. The airline has announced that passengers can still change their date of travel, have their money refunded or use the ticket value to fly to another destination.
Most of the violence has been seeing in the capital and many Cairo hotels are seeing the effects as tourists avoid major hotpots.
British tourists on Sharm el Sheikh holidays last week spoke of their relief of leaving Egypt as they waited of their fights, and despite the violent demonstrations not yet reaching the Red Sea resort, they believe it would only be a matter of time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...