Foreign Office advises travellers to stay away from Egypt
Airlines are bringing travellers on their Egypt holidays home early after the Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential travel to a number of major destinations in Egypt as the violent demonstrations continue.
British Airways chartered an aircraft to bring back tourists who were on the Egypt holidays as the Foreign Office advises against travel to the country's main destinations unless it is essential.
The aircraft picked passengers up from the country's capital city, Cairo, and returned them to Gatwick Airport in London, UK, cutting their Egypt holidays short because of the ongoing violent demonstrations.
The Foreign Office website stated: "In light of the ongoing demonstrations, we continue to advise against all but essential travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. We recommend that British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez leave by commercial means, where it is safe to do so.
"If you are in other areas of Egypt where there have been disturbances, we recommend you follow the advice below and stay indoors wherever possible. This does not affect transits through Cairo airport for onward travel to other destinations, although there is some disruption to flight schedules.
"A nationwide curfew is in place from 1600 to 0800 local time. You must respect the curfew and listen for announcements about any changes to the curfew requirements. The internet is currently not working and mobile phone coverage is intermittent.
"The Foreign Office has advised against all but essential travel to several hot spots in Egypt as airlines bring British tourists home early."
British Airways is also changing the times of its flights to avoid the night curfew which is in effect between 3pm and 8am. The airline has announced that passengers can still change their date of travel, have their money refunded or use the ticket value to fly to another destination.
Most of the violence has been seeing in the capital and many Cairo hotels are seeing the effects as tourists avoid major hotpots.
British tourists on Sharm el Sheikh holidays last week spoke of their relief of leaving Egypt as they waited of their fights, and despite the violent demonstrations not yet reaching the Red Sea resort, they believe it would only be a matter of time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
With access to a private beach and every facility imaginable on site it's no wonder guests return to Hilton Sharks bay - it's a perfect for the whole family
- Relax and unwind with a massage or jacuzzi in the health club
- Enjoy a number of dining options including Il Rustico Restaurant - where you can enjoy barbeques on the terrace
- Enjoy the evenings with the nightly entertainment programme
Relaxing by the pool with a glass of a cocktail while enjoying spectacular views of the Red Sea
- Get the most of the 24-Hour all-inclusive service
- Enjoy the private beach and on-site dive centre with opportunities for scuba diving at the house coral reef
- Great hotel for families with plenty of activities to keep the kids and adults busy throughout
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm El Sheikh is known for its wonderful beaches; take six days to enjoy the best of this...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Sharm El Sheikh, a resort town sitting on Egypt's Red Sea shores, is one of the country's top tourist destinations. Find...