Campaign launched to promote Mauritius holidays following murder of honeymooner
The Mauritius government has launched a campaign to encourage travellers to keep booking Mauritius holidays following the murder of the Irish tourist, Michaela McAreavey, whilst on her honeymoon earlier this month.
Mauritius government officials have launched a marketing campaign to promote Mauritius holidays after the daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte was murdered on the island two weeks ago.
The 27-year-old Irishwoman, Michaela McAreavey, had been enjoying her honeymoon with new husband, John McAreavey. Her body was found by her husband after she failed to return to the hotel restaurant after popping back to their room to get some biscuits for her tea.
Police confirmed that she had been strangled and five men who worked at the luxury Legends Hotel in Grand Gaube where they were staying have been arrested and charged in connection with the murder, one of which had confessed to the killing.
The head of MTPA, the country's tourism promotion agency, said that a series of road shows will be launched across Ireland and Britain to promote the island as a low-crime destination and Mauritius hotels as secure and safe to holidaymakers.
The MTPA are planning on inviting journalists from Britain and Ireland to enjoy Mauritius holidays in order to help dispel negative reports about the region following Michaela's murder.
The MTPA's director, Dr Karl Mootoosamy, made the decision to launch the campaign after meeting with ten travel and tour operators who each arrange Indian Ocean holidays in Mauritius and Seychelles for between 3,000 and 4,000 travellers per year.
The newlyweds had enjoyed their wedding in at a County Tyrone church in Ireland on 30th December 2010 before heading to Dubai and then Mauritius for their honeymoon.
Husband, Down Gaelic footballer John McAreavey, has been left heartbroken and devastated and said in a statement: "I love my wife, very, very much and my world revolved around her. I can't describe in words how lost I feel as Michaela is not just the light of my life - she is my life."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
An unrivalled stay where you will be surrounded by its picturesque coastline and lush greenery
- Your own private sandy beach on your doorstep
- Exquisite views wherever you look - from the vibrant green mountains to the glittering Indian Ocean
- Perfect blend of natural beauty and fresh, eye-catching designs
Relax on an 800ft stretch of white-sand beach by turquoise Indian Ocean waters at Le meridien Ile Maurice, the award winning resort in Mauritius
- Enjoy access to a Scuba Diving Centre
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling trips & more
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
With three beautiful beaches to choose from, this one-of-a-kind retreat offers bespoke experiences with a soothing and rejuvenating Feng Shui philosophy
- Relax at the spa - providing an combination experience of nutrition, yoga, spa treatments & retreats
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy complimentary activities including snorkelling, kayaking, water skiing, glass-bottom boat trips or some unique experience such as cinema screenings on the beach, secret bar or message in a bottle with hidden surprises
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
Get rid of stress and become one with nature at the Merville Beach - Grand Baie hotel in Mauritius. Located next to a...
Situated on the northwest coast of Mauritius, Le Meridien Ile Maurice sits at the edge of an 800m white sand beach by...
Situated in the North West of Mauritius, Recif Attitude is an exclusive adults only hotel, overlooking a marine...