Campaign launched to promote Mauritius holidays following murder of honeymooner
The Mauritius government has launched a campaign to encourage travellers to keep booking Mauritius holidays following the murder of the Irish tourist, Michaela McAreavey, whilst on her honeymoon earlier this month.
Mauritius government officials have launched a marketing campaign to promote Mauritius holidays after the daughter of Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte was murdered on the island two weeks ago.
The 27-year-old Irishwoman, Michaela McAreavey, had been enjoying her honeymoon with new husband, John McAreavey. Her body was found by her husband after she failed to return to the hotel restaurant after popping back to their room to get some biscuits for her tea.
Police confirmed that she had been strangled and five men who worked at the luxury Legends Hotel in Grand Gaube where they were staying have been arrested and charged in connection with the murder, one of which had confessed to the killing.
The head of MTPA, the country's tourism promotion agency, said that a series of road shows will be launched across Ireland and Britain to promote the island as a low-crime destination and Mauritius hotels as secure and safe to holidaymakers.
The MTPA are planning on inviting journalists from Britain and Ireland to enjoy Mauritius holidays in order to help dispel negative reports about the region following Michaela's murder.
The MTPA's director, Dr Karl Mootoosamy, made the decision to launch the campaign after meeting with ten travel and tour operators who each arrange Indian Ocean holidays in Mauritius and Seychelles for between 3,000 and 4,000 travellers per year.
The newlyweds had enjoyed their wedding in at a County Tyrone church in Ireland on 30th December 2010 before heading to Dubai and then Mauritius for their honeymoon.
Husband, Down Gaelic footballer John McAreavey, has been left heartbroken and devastated and said in a statement: "I love my wife, very, very much and my world revolved around her. I can't describe in words how lost I feel as Michaela is not just the light of my life - she is my life."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mauritius Browse all
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Bring the kids along or come with your partner for a romantically secluded hideaway in a resort that excels at providing special separate spaces for adults and families
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Zilwa offers two experiences in one with a designated adults-only area and a separate family section
- Experience the sunrise boat trip, BBQ on the beach and treasure hunts for the little ones
Set amidst a landscape of lush vegetation, mountains and the clear waters of the Indian Ocean, the Heritage Awali oozes luxury and offers first-class service
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- Enjoy attentive all-inclusive service in a unique setting in Bel Ombre with its own nature reserve
- Get a complimentary round of golf per day and a free spa treatment per stay
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Prepare to be blown away by the unparalleled beauty of the north eastern coast of Mauritius as you spend eight days on...
The beauty of the East coast of Mauritius is without question, and all can be enjoyed at Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa, set...
Spend seven magical days in the beautiful Mauritius, enjoying its Indian Ocean coastline. The Heritage Awali gives you a...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
Located on the sandy beach of the north-west coast of Mauritius, Les Cocotiers enjoys a close proximity to the island's...
Discover Mauritius an island rich in cultural legacy off the east coast of Madagascar, the island features breathtaking...
When you're looking for the perfect holiday, it's nice to have some assurances. As well as being a three star plus...