Cuba sets target to reach nearly three million holidaymakers in 2011
The Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, has announced that after receiving a good number of tourists on Cuba holidays in 2010, visitor arrivals are expected to reach nearly three million in 2011.
The number of travellers taking Cuba holidays in 2011 is expected to reach three million, according to the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe.
After receiving 2,530,000 foreign visitors in 2010 despite the global economic problems, the Caribbean island is expecting an eight percent growth in tourists in 2011 which could see three million visitors arriving in Cuba by the close of year.
New Cuba hotels are under development in Cayo Santa Maria in the central province of Villa Clara and many tourists facilities are being restored in the capital city, Havana, Caya Coco and Holguin.
Visitor attractions are also being restored and renovated including world heritage sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
The Cuban government is looking to improve the quality of services and providing new programs which are available to Spanish residents in Cuba.
The recent increase in cruise ships bringing travellers on their Cuba holidays whilst touring the Caribbean is also expected to contribute towards an increase in visitor numbers. These include the Gemini Ship which belongs to the Spanish Group Quail Travel and Tropicana Cruises Ltd onboard the cruise ship, Adriana.
United Sated President Barrack Obama has recently eased restriction on travel to Cuba for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes. The ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo has been in place for decades and bans U.S travellers from taking Cuba holidays. Last year, President Obama lifted the ban on Cuban-Americans visiting the island to see their family members, and now schools and cultural or religious groups will be able to visit Cuba.
Though U.S travellers are still unable to freely travel to Cuba, the ease in restrictions is expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism and will help visitors understand the island's traditions and culture.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...