Barbados welcomes first British Airways Football Legends Invitational Tournament
Travellers taking Barbados holidays in June this year will have the chance to meet some leading football stars as ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, will be taking part in a veterans tournament on the island.
Football enthusiasts on Barbados holidays will have the chance to meet some football legends as the first British Airways Football Legends Invitational Tournament is scheduled to take place in June this year.
Ex-Premier League players, Gianfranco Zola and Roberto Di Matteo, will be taking part in the six-aside competition which will be held at the Kensington Oval, home of West Indian cricket, and will feature seven teams representing talented players from Premiership clubs and a Professional Footballers' Association who will take some time off their Barbados holidays for a few "friendly" games.
Tourist enjoying Barbados holidays will have the chance to see a number of football star including Alan Shearer and former Chelsea and current West Brom Manager, Di Matteo, who said: : "It's absolutely fantastic to think that we will be lining up with and against some of the great players from our own era and in such a wonderful location."
Ex-England captain, Alan Shearer is hoping to make some time for the tournament and said: "You can never take that competitive edge away from a footballer but the respect and friendship among all the lads will no doubt produce some great entertainment for the crowd too."
British Airways is the main sponsor of the tournament along with the Professional Footballers' Association, The Almond Resorts and Kensington Oval.
Proceeds made from the competition will be donated to the worthy National Sports Council Primary Schools Programme, which helps develop a healthy and united society through youth football in primary schools and participation in all sports.
The idea of the two-day tournament was created by Vice-President of the Barbados Tourism Authorities, Roach, who explained:
"The buzz of excitement about this event has already begun and we are thrilled to be working with the PFA on delivering this little slice of history to our great country.
"Football is huge in Barbados and to welcome such a fantastic line-up of Premier League heroes is an honour."
Travellers hoping to catch a glimpse of the legend football players can find numerous weekly British Airways flights to Barbados and a range of luxury Barbados and resorts to choose from.
The tournament takes place on 10th and 11th June, 2011 at the Kensington Oval in Barbados.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...