Cuba's increase in U.S travellers could shake the Caribbean
As President Barrack Obama announces new measures to allow U.S citizens to take Cuba holidays, the increase in visitors to the island could prove to have a significant effect on surrounding islands in the Caribbean.
Last week, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S citizen travelling to Cuba for educational academic, cultural and religious purposes. As restrictions are easing on the ongoing decades-long Cuba travel embargo, many surrounding Caribbean islands are concerned about the impact it could have on tourism in their countries.
Last week's ease on travel restrictions will enable schools, churches and cultural groups to take Cuba holidays and there could soon be an increase in charter flights to Cuba to accommodate the rise in travellers.
These new measures, along with Obama's earlier administration steps to allow travellers of Cuban origin to visit their families in Cuba, could see a dramatic increase in the number of visitors heading off on Cuba holidays, whether it is for educational or family purposes.
The number of Havana flights have already increase to 20 flights a day between Miami and Havana as hundreds of Cuban-Americans headed off to see their families for the end of year holidays.
Travel agencies will now be able to benefit from these relaxed restrictions and introduce charter flights with cultural purposes allowing easier access for travellers.
Andy Dauhajre, an economist for the Dominican Republic's Economic and Development Foundation, said: "The new measures won't produce an explosion of U.S. tourism to Cuba, but that will come eventually.
"And when it comes, it will have a significant impact over places like Cancun, the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.''
If Mr Dauhajre's estimates are correct, Cuba hotels and businesses could benefit from the arrival of between one million and three million tourists from the United States which could result in a decline in the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays to other surrounding countries and islands. Cancun could see a loss of 700,000 annual U.S visitors; Jamaica, 400,000; the Bahamas, 600,000; and the Dominican Republic 360,000.
Dauhajre added: "The key is whether Cuba will be able to build more hotel rooms to accommodate the new U.S. visitors. If it can't, there will be a spill-over of Canadian and European tourists to other Caribbean destinations."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...