Cuba's increase in U.S travellers could shake the Caribbean
As President Barrack Obama announces new measures to allow U.S citizens to take Cuba holidays, the increase in visitors to the island could prove to have a significant effect on surrounding islands in the Caribbean.
Last week, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S citizen travelling to Cuba for educational academic, cultural and religious purposes. As restrictions are easing on the ongoing decades-long Cuba travel embargo, many surrounding Caribbean islands are concerned about the impact it could have on tourism in their countries.
Last week's ease on travel restrictions will enable schools, churches and cultural groups to take Cuba holidays and there could soon be an increase in charter flights to Cuba to accommodate the rise in travellers.
These new measures, along with Obama's earlier administration steps to allow travellers of Cuban origin to visit their families in Cuba, could see a dramatic increase in the number of visitors heading off on Cuba holidays, whether it is for educational or family purposes.
The number of Havana flights have already increase to 20 flights a day between Miami and Havana as hundreds of Cuban-Americans headed off to see their families for the end of year holidays.
Travel agencies will now be able to benefit from these relaxed restrictions and introduce charter flights with cultural purposes allowing easier access for travellers.
Andy Dauhajre, an economist for the Dominican Republic's Economic and Development Foundation, said: "The new measures won't produce an explosion of U.S. tourism to Cuba, but that will come eventually.
"And when it comes, it will have a significant impact over places like Cancun, the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.''
If Mr Dauhajre's estimates are correct, Cuba hotels and businesses could benefit from the arrival of between one million and three million tourists from the United States which could result in a decline in the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays to other surrounding countries and islands. Cancun could see a loss of 700,000 annual U.S visitors; Jamaica, 400,000; the Bahamas, 600,000; and the Dominican Republic 360,000.
Dauhajre added: "The key is whether Cuba will be able to build more hotel rooms to accommodate the new U.S. visitors. If it can't, there will be a spill-over of Canadian and European tourists to other Caribbean destinations."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...