Cuba's increase in U.S travellers could shake the Caribbean
As President Barrack Obama announces new measures to allow U.S citizens to take Cuba holidays, the increase in visitors to the island could prove to have a significant effect on surrounding islands in the Caribbean.
Last week, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S citizen travelling to Cuba for educational academic, cultural and religious purposes. As restrictions are easing on the ongoing decades-long Cuba travel embargo, many surrounding Caribbean islands are concerned about the impact it could have on tourism in their countries.
Last week's ease on travel restrictions will enable schools, churches and cultural groups to take Cuba holidays and there could soon be an increase in charter flights to Cuba to accommodate the rise in travellers.
These new measures, along with Obama's earlier administration steps to allow travellers of Cuban origin to visit their families in Cuba, could see a dramatic increase in the number of visitors heading off on Cuba holidays, whether it is for educational or family purposes.
The number of Havana flights have already increase to 20 flights a day between Miami and Havana as hundreds of Cuban-Americans headed off to see their families for the end of year holidays.
Travel agencies will now be able to benefit from these relaxed restrictions and introduce charter flights with cultural purposes allowing easier access for travellers.
Andy Dauhajre, an economist for the Dominican Republic's Economic and Development Foundation, said: "The new measures won't produce an explosion of U.S. tourism to Cuba, but that will come eventually.
"And when it comes, it will have a significant impact over places like Cancun, the Bahamas, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.''
If Mr Dauhajre's estimates are correct, Cuba hotels and businesses could benefit from the arrival of between one million and three million tourists from the United States which could result in a decline in the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays to other surrounding countries and islands. Cancun could see a loss of 700,000 annual U.S visitors; Jamaica, 400,000; the Bahamas, 600,000; and the Dominican Republic 360,000.
Dauhajre added: "The key is whether Cuba will be able to build more hotel rooms to accommodate the new U.S. visitors. If it can't, there will be a spill-over of Canadian and European tourists to other Caribbean destinations."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...