Cuba Minister says island is ready for increase in U.S tourists
The Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the Caribbean island is ready to welcome the influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays if the ongoing travel ban is lifted by the United States Authorities.
After President Obama eased the restrictions on travel to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural and educational purposes last week, Manuel Marrero, the Cuba Tourism Minister has said that the island is ready for a rise in visitors should the ban be lifted on tourists too.
Mr, Marrero said: "The opening of U.S. tourism to Cuba would mean the arrival of large flows that would place that country as the main tourist issuer for the island."
Tourists from the United States have been unable to enjoy Cuba holidays for over five decades because of a travel and trade embargo which was put in place in 1960.
Restrictions have been eased on travellers of Cuban origin returning to the Caribbean island to visit family and last week the U.S President eased travel for educational, cultural and cultural reasons but many travellers are still awaiting the full lift of the ban on Cuba holidays for U.S citizens.
Mr Marrero added that development of the Cuba holiday industry is not reliant on the possible lifting of the travel embargo and that it has an established tourism market with travellers from all over the world.
"We are not waiting for the end of restrictions from the White House, because we would have not then reached the levels of tourism development and diversification that we have today," he explained.
Last year, Cuba saw 2.5 million holidaymakers arrive on the island and stay in Cuba hotels and resorts, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, followed by the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Argentina and Mexico.
"The United States is the only country in the world whose citizens do not have the right to visit Cuba," Marrero commented.
If the U.S authorities lifted the travel to Cuba ban the beautiful Caribbean island could see an estimated 1.7 million tourists from America visiting the region each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...