Cuba Minister says island is ready for increase in U.S tourists
The Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the Caribbean island is ready to welcome the influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays if the ongoing travel ban is lifted by the United States Authorities.
After President Obama eased the restrictions on travel to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural and educational purposes last week, Manuel Marrero, the Cuba Tourism Minister has said that the island is ready for a rise in visitors should the ban be lifted on tourists too.
Mr, Marrero said: "The opening of U.S. tourism to Cuba would mean the arrival of large flows that would place that country as the main tourist issuer for the island."
Tourists from the United States have been unable to enjoy Cuba holidays for over five decades because of a travel and trade embargo which was put in place in 1960.
Restrictions have been eased on travellers of Cuban origin returning to the Caribbean island to visit family and last week the U.S President eased travel for educational, cultural and cultural reasons but many travellers are still awaiting the full lift of the ban on Cuba holidays for U.S citizens.
Mr Marrero added that development of the Cuba holiday industry is not reliant on the possible lifting of the travel embargo and that it has an established tourism market with travellers from all over the world.
"We are not waiting for the end of restrictions from the White House, because we would have not then reached the levels of tourism development and diversification that we have today," he explained.
Last year, Cuba saw 2.5 million holidaymakers arrive on the island and stay in Cuba hotels and resorts, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, followed by the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Argentina and Mexico.
"The United States is the only country in the world whose citizens do not have the right to visit Cuba," Marrero commented.
If the U.S authorities lifted the travel to Cuba ban the beautiful Caribbean island could see an estimated 1.7 million tourists from America visiting the region each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...