Cuba Minister says island is ready for increase in U.S tourists
The Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the Caribbean island is ready to welcome the influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays if the ongoing travel ban is lifted by the United States Authorities.
After President Obama eased the restrictions on travel to Cuba for religious, academic, cultural and educational purposes last week, Manuel Marrero, the Cuba Tourism Minister has said that the island is ready for a rise in visitors should the ban be lifted on tourists too.
Mr, Marrero said: "The opening of U.S. tourism to Cuba would mean the arrival of large flows that would place that country as the main tourist issuer for the island."
Tourists from the United States have been unable to enjoy Cuba holidays for over five decades because of a travel and trade embargo which was put in place in 1960.
Restrictions have been eased on travellers of Cuban origin returning to the Caribbean island to visit family and last week the U.S President eased travel for educational, cultural and cultural reasons but many travellers are still awaiting the full lift of the ban on Cuba holidays for U.S citizens.
Mr Marrero added that development of the Cuba holiday industry is not reliant on the possible lifting of the travel embargo and that it has an established tourism market with travellers from all over the world.
"We are not waiting for the end of restrictions from the White House, because we would have not then reached the levels of tourism development and diversification that we have today," he explained.
Last year, Cuba saw 2.5 million holidaymakers arrive on the island and stay in Cuba hotels and resorts, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, followed by the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Argentina and Mexico.
"The United States is the only country in the world whose citizens do not have the right to visit Cuba," Marrero commented.
If the U.S authorities lifted the travel to Cuba ban the beautiful Caribbean island could see an estimated 1.7 million tourists from America visiting the region each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...