Air Jamaica to resume London Heathrow flights from July 2011
Travellers will once again be able to take Jamaica holidays via Air Jamaica, the island's flagship carrier, after Trinidad's Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will operate under its umbrella.
The Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) is celebrating the return of the island's flagship carrier, Air Jamaica, as Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will once again be operating flights as one of two brands under CAL's umbrella.
Travellers will be able to travel to Jamaica onboard Air Jamaica flights from July 2011 where the airline will be resuming its London Heathrow route taking travellers to and from their Jamaica holidays three times a week.
The announcement of the news was made by the Chairman of CAL, George Nicholas III, who spoke at the "Rebirth of Air Jamaica" event which took place at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston last week.
President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Wayne Cummings, said: "It is no secret that the JHTA was very upset, along with many other Jamaicans, about the giving up and sale of Air Jamaica's Heathrow route, as this was a strategic position of connectivity from the UK and even more important from the difficult to-connect-to mainland Europe."
Mr Cummings explained that it was important for the airline to re-establish a presence in Montego Bay in order to make the most out of the island's tourism market.
"While the local market is key, it is well known that Jamaica's bread and butter is the tourism sector. The decision to downsize at the expense of Montego Bay must have hurt them quite badly, particularly now that they have confirmed that the Air Jamaica name and operations will continue," he explained.
He added: "The JHTA welcomes this move, as the loyalty to Air Jamaica by our visitors is well known."
In 2007, Air Jamaica vacated Heathrow International Airport and Virgin Atlantic have since been providing flights for travellers taking Jamaica holidays to both Sangster and Norman Manley international airports.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, believes that the resumption of flights could contribute towards Jamaica's target of five million visitors and stopover at Jamaica hotels by 2013, which is set to earn the island $5 billion in revenue.
Mr Bartlett commented: "While we are happy with the operation of the Gatwick gateway and the role it plays in ensuring that our arrival figures out of England and across Europe remain strong, we welcome the return of Air Jamaica to the Heathrow gateway."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Get a taste of the unique destination of Indonesia with a trip across two of its stunning islands. Start at lush Mercure...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...