Air Jamaica to resume London Heathrow flights from July 2011
Travellers will once again be able to take Jamaica holidays via Air Jamaica, the island's flagship carrier, after Trinidad's Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will operate under its umbrella.
The Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) is celebrating the return of the island's flagship carrier, Air Jamaica, as Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will once again be operating flights as one of two brands under CAL's umbrella.
Travellers will be able to travel to Jamaica onboard Air Jamaica flights from July 2011 where the airline will be resuming its London Heathrow route taking travellers to and from their Jamaica holidays three times a week.
The announcement of the news was made by the Chairman of CAL, George Nicholas III, who spoke at the "Rebirth of Air Jamaica" event which took place at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston last week.
President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Wayne Cummings, said: "It is no secret that the JHTA was very upset, along with many other Jamaicans, about the giving up and sale of Air Jamaica's Heathrow route, as this was a strategic position of connectivity from the UK and even more important from the difficult to-connect-to mainland Europe."
Mr Cummings explained that it was important for the airline to re-establish a presence in Montego Bay in order to make the most out of the island's tourism market.
"While the local market is key, it is well known that Jamaica's bread and butter is the tourism sector. The decision to downsize at the expense of Montego Bay must have hurt them quite badly, particularly now that they have confirmed that the Air Jamaica name and operations will continue," he explained.
He added: "The JHTA welcomes this move, as the loyalty to Air Jamaica by our visitors is well known."
In 2007, Air Jamaica vacated Heathrow International Airport and Virgin Atlantic have since been providing flights for travellers taking Jamaica holidays to both Sangster and Norman Manley international airports.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, believes that the resumption of flights could contribute towards Jamaica's target of five million visitors and stopover at Jamaica hotels by 2013, which is set to earn the island $5 billion in revenue.
Mr Bartlett commented: "While we are happy with the operation of the Gatwick gateway and the role it plays in ensuring that our arrival figures out of England and across Europe remain strong, we welcome the return of Air Jamaica to the Heathrow gateway."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Head to Promthep Cape for the most beautiful sunset in Thailand
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...