Air Jamaica to resume London Heathrow flights from July 2011
Travellers will once again be able to take Jamaica holidays via Air Jamaica, the island's flagship carrier, after Trinidad's Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will operate under its umbrella.
The Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) is celebrating the return of the island's flagship carrier, Air Jamaica, as Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will once again be operating flights as one of two brands under CAL's umbrella.
Travellers will be able to travel to Jamaica onboard Air Jamaica flights from July 2011 where the airline will be resuming its London Heathrow route taking travellers to and from their Jamaica holidays three times a week.
The announcement of the news was made by the Chairman of CAL, George Nicholas III, who spoke at the "Rebirth of Air Jamaica" event which took place at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston last week.
President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Wayne Cummings, said: "It is no secret that the JHTA was very upset, along with many other Jamaicans, about the giving up and sale of Air Jamaica's Heathrow route, as this was a strategic position of connectivity from the UK and even more important from the difficult to-connect-to mainland Europe."
Mr Cummings explained that it was important for the airline to re-establish a presence in Montego Bay in order to make the most out of the island's tourism market.
"While the local market is key, it is well known that Jamaica's bread and butter is the tourism sector. The decision to downsize at the expense of Montego Bay must have hurt them quite badly, particularly now that they have confirmed that the Air Jamaica name and operations will continue," he explained.
He added: "The JHTA welcomes this move, as the loyalty to Air Jamaica by our visitors is well known."
In 2007, Air Jamaica vacated Heathrow International Airport and Virgin Atlantic have since been providing flights for travellers taking Jamaica holidays to both Sangster and Norman Manley international airports.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, believes that the resumption of flights could contribute towards Jamaica's target of five million visitors and stopover at Jamaica hotels by 2013, which is set to earn the island $5 billion in revenue.
Mr Bartlett commented: "While we are happy with the operation of the Gatwick gateway and the role it plays in ensuring that our arrival figures out of England and across Europe remain strong, we welcome the return of Air Jamaica to the Heathrow gateway."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...