Air Jamaica to resume London Heathrow flights from July 2011
Travellers will once again be able to take Jamaica holidays via Air Jamaica, the island's flagship carrier, after Trinidad's Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will operate under its umbrella.
The Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) is celebrating the return of the island's flagship carrier, Air Jamaica, as Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) announces that the airline will once again be operating flights as one of two brands under CAL's umbrella.
Travellers will be able to travel to Jamaica onboard Air Jamaica flights from July 2011 where the airline will be resuming its London Heathrow route taking travellers to and from their Jamaica holidays three times a week.
The announcement of the news was made by the Chairman of CAL, George Nicholas III, who spoke at the "Rebirth of Air Jamaica" event which took place at The Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston last week.
President of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association, Wayne Cummings, said: "It is no secret that the JHTA was very upset, along with many other Jamaicans, about the giving up and sale of Air Jamaica's Heathrow route, as this was a strategic position of connectivity from the UK and even more important from the difficult to-connect-to mainland Europe."
Mr Cummings explained that it was important for the airline to re-establish a presence in Montego Bay in order to make the most out of the island's tourism market.
"While the local market is key, it is well known that Jamaica's bread and butter is the tourism sector. The decision to downsize at the expense of Montego Bay must have hurt them quite badly, particularly now that they have confirmed that the Air Jamaica name and operations will continue," he explained.
He added: "The JHTA welcomes this move, as the loyalty to Air Jamaica by our visitors is well known."
In 2007, Air Jamaica vacated Heathrow International Airport and Virgin Atlantic have since been providing flights for travellers taking Jamaica holidays to both Sangster and Norman Manley international airports.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, believes that the resumption of flights could contribute towards Jamaica's target of five million visitors and stopover at Jamaica hotels by 2013, which is set to earn the island $5 billion in revenue.
Mr Bartlett commented: "While we are happy with the operation of the Gatwick gateway and the role it plays in ensuring that our arrival figures out of England and across Europe remain strong, we welcome the return of Air Jamaica to the Heathrow gateway."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak in the vitamin D on Phuket’s sun-kissed coastline with a stay the Rawai Palm Beach Resort, a matter of steps from...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...