Cuba looks set to welcome more visitors as travel restrictions are eased
The number of travellers from the United States taking Cuba holidays could soon be on the increase as President Obama recently announced plans to allow students, religious and cultural groups to legally visit the Caribbean country.
Travellers from the United States could soon be able to enjoy Cuba holidays if they are part of student, cultural and church groups. President Barrack Obama recently announced plans to lift travel restrictions for visitors who fall in to these categories, allowing them to legally travel to Cuba, despite the decades-long ongoing U.S-Cuba embargo.
Last Friday, President Obama eased restrictions on U.S travel, visas and the transfer of funds from Americans to Cubans which will take effect within two weeks. Though some of the restrictions have been eased, many tourists from the U.S will be unable to freely take Cuba holidays.
Many of these travellers resort to visiting the island illegally via Mexico, Canada and surrounding Caribbean countries. Last year, approximately 400,000 U.S citizens, including legal Cuban-Americans, took holidays in Cuba, which is five times the number from 2008.
Cuba Travel Expert and author, Christopher P. Baker says that things are "more or less return things to where they were under the Clinton administration, with the addition of exciting new openings."
The author of Moon Cuba explained: "Academics and students have been unshackled to travel to Cuba more freely. But the changes also potentially open the door for every U.S. citizen to legally travel to Cuba as a participant in cultural programs, (and) the licensing process should be much more friendly," adds Baker.
"I anticipate a surge in applications by a broad range of travel companies and cultural organizations for licenses to operate cultural tours that involve interactions with Cubans.
"In the Clinton era, this included everything from bicycling to ornithology groups and... well, you name it. In fact, my first visit to Havana, in 1993, was as a participant in a tour to the Havana International Jazz Festival licensed under the 'people-to-people provision.'"
A recent statement from the White House said that even though the economic embargo against Cuba would remain in place, the new measures "will increase people-to-people contact; support civil society in Cuba; enhance the free flow of information to, from, and among the Cuban people; and help promote their independence from Cuban authorities."
These measures include an increase in flights to Cuba via U.S charter companies and Executive Director of the Centre for Democracy in the Americas, Sarah Stephens says: "For the U.S. travel sector, this will undoubtedly open new routes and new revenues for charters and other businesses that provide services for Americans visiting the Cuban market.
"At a time when Cubans are changing their system in fundamental ways, it is a good idea to have greater engagement, more Americans travelling to Cuba, and more opportunities to learn from each other as everyday Cubans reshape their lives and their country."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...