Seychelles celebrates new record number of holidaymakers arrivals
The recent increase in travellers enjoying Seychelles holidays has driven visitor numbers to a new record with the biggest increase seen from European travellers who enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and warm climate during 2010.
The number of tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays in 2010 has increased significantly resulting in new record numbers for visitor arrivals last year. Over 174,500 tourists booked Seychelles holidays in 2010 and this is the highest number of visitors ever recorded on the island.
The promising new figures were welcomed by Seychelles hotels and local businesses that were all affected by the decline in travellers after the recent economic global crisis.
The majority of these record numbers arrived from Seychelles’ traditional market, Europe, but the island has also seen a record increase in travellers from smaller markets such as China and South Africa.
The new figures show a 10 percent growth on visitor arrivals in 2009 which saw 157,541 travellers arriving on the beautiful Indian Ocean holiday destination.
The majority of tourists enjoying Indian Ocean holidays on the exotic island arrived from France with 35,026 visitors from this country arriving in 2010, over 3,500 more than 2009.
Italian travellers are the second largest market but last year saw the only decline in visitor arrivals from its four core markets. In 2010 the number of Italian arrivals was 25,602 and in 2009 the number was slightly more at 26,114.
The United Kingdom made a comeback after a difficult year within the travel industry thanks to the Iceland volcanic ash cloud, severe snow conditions, and the ongoing recovery of the global recession.
The number of British travellers arriving in the Seychelles increased by 1,000 compared to 2009 with 12,322 arrivals during 2010. These new figures are thought to have been helped by support from tour operators and efforts made by Seychelles Holiday Industry officials to generate greater presence within the UK travel market.
The Seychelles also saw a welcome increase in arrivals from Africa, the Far East and the Middle East during 2010. Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St Ange, said that these fantastic results were thanks to the hard work by all stakeholders within the travel and tourism industry.
"A lot of hard work has been invested in promoting and reintroducing Seychelles on the international map. We have built on what has been done before to push the destination to another level," he explained. "We will continue to increase the visibility of Seychelles and tap into potential markets this year and further consolidate our achievements."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Soak up the stunning landscapes, friendly atmosphere, fascinating architecture and leisurely pace of life of La Digue Island
- Enjoy excursions galore - Take a bike or ox ride, visit Veuve Reserve, the Union Estate Park and Nid Aigle, or explore nearby islands, including Coco Island, Island Grande Soeur, Marianne Island and Praslin.
- The languid pace of life and the romantic, friendly atmosphere.
- Bask on beaches which have topped CNN’s list of ‘the world’s best beaches’.
Enjoy the exquisit food an amazing service to match at doubletree by hilton seychelles allamanda resort and spa
- Take advantage of fantastic watersports on offer including canoeing, snorkelling and scuba diving
- Relax in a private whirlpool or indulge in treatments at the spa
- Enjoy daily Creole afternoon tea and romantic candlelit dinners on the beach
Experience simple boutique luxury at the charming L'Archipel
- Experience some amazing snorkeling on the stunning private beach
- Unwind gazing out over a sunset sea view from your room
- Surrounded by beautiful tropical gardens adding to the charm of this property
Swim around some of the most amazing under water sites in the world at the Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa
- Discover incredible flora and fauna including giant tortoise and incense trees
- Choose from a range of casual to gourmet dining options, or opt for an in-villa or under the stars experience
- Indulge in a spa treatment in a magical setting
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
This landmark hotel, recently refurbished is undoubtedly a connoisseurs choice. Tucked away in a private estate of lush...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Nestled within 18 acres of tropical grounds, in the untouched area of Baie Lazare, the 3* boutique Valmer Resort boasts...
Nicely hidden away amidst beautifully landscaped tropical gardens dotted by swaying coconut palms that gently dance in...