Seychelles celebrates new record number of holidaymakers arrivals
The recent increase in travellers enjoying Seychelles holidays has driven visitor numbers to a new record with the biggest increase seen from European travellers who enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and warm climate during 2010.
The number of tourists enjoying Seychelles holidays in 2010 has increased significantly resulting in new record numbers for visitor arrivals last year. Over 174,500 tourists booked Seychelles holidays in 2010 and this is the highest number of visitors ever recorded on the island.
The promising new figures were welcomed by Seychelles hotels and local businesses that were all affected by the decline in travellers after the recent economic global crisis.
The majority of these record numbers arrived from Seychelles’ traditional market, Europe, but the island has also seen a record increase in travellers from smaller markets such as China and South Africa.
The new figures show a 10 percent growth on visitor arrivals in 2009 which saw 157,541 travellers arriving on the beautiful Indian Ocean holiday destination.
The majority of tourists enjoying Indian Ocean holidays on the exotic island arrived from France with 35,026 visitors from this country arriving in 2010, over 3,500 more than 2009.
Italian travellers are the second largest market but last year saw the only decline in visitor arrivals from its four core markets. In 2010 the number of Italian arrivals was 25,602 and in 2009 the number was slightly more at 26,114.
The United Kingdom made a comeback after a difficult year within the travel industry thanks to the Iceland volcanic ash cloud, severe snow conditions, and the ongoing recovery of the global recession.
The number of British travellers arriving in the Seychelles increased by 1,000 compared to 2009 with 12,322 arrivals during 2010. These new figures are thought to have been helped by support from tour operators and efforts made by Seychelles Holiday Industry officials to generate greater presence within the UK travel market.
The Seychelles also saw a welcome increase in arrivals from Africa, the Far East and the Middle East during 2010. Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Tourism Board, Alain St Ange, said that these fantastic results were thanks to the hard work by all stakeholders within the travel and tourism industry.
"A lot of hard work has been invested in promoting and reintroducing Seychelles on the international map. We have built on what has been done before to push the destination to another level," he explained. "We will continue to increase the visibility of Seychelles and tap into potential markets this year and further consolidate our achievements."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Seychelles Browse all
Mother nature bestowed unique beauty on the Seychelles, islands of exquisite white sand beaches, lapped by the turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean
- Top up your tan, refresh in the pool or go with the flow in a yoga class. Enjoy traditional island cooking, dance, craft and language classes, or action packed days of culture and nature trips.
- Special Honeymoon Offers available
- free upgrade from Bed & Breakfast to Half Board
- Experience great culinary variety in six different restaurants including a shisha bar
Discover beauty like no other on the magical Mahé island in the Seychelles
- Stunning rooms, with everything you'll need for a more than comfortable stay
- Long stretches of pure white sands
- free upgrade to seaview room for our customers only
- A no fuss, unobtrusive service where the customer is always king!
Discovery the wonder and beauty of thew Sheychelles at berjaya praslin resort, seychelles
- Dive along side fascinating sea creatures and amazing sights while bringing you even more enchanting discoveries.
- Jungle trekking, Island hopping, sailing and kayaking are just some of the many activities you can enjoy
- Discover Cote D'Or, one of the most stunning beaches in the world
Soak up the stunning landscapes, friendly atmosphere, fascinating architecture and leisurely pace of life of La Digue Island
- Enjoy excursions galore - Take a bike or ox ride, visit Veuve Reserve, the Union Estate Park and Nid Aigle, or explore nearby islands, including Coco Island, Island Grande Soeur, Marianne Island and Praslin.
- The languid pace of life and the romantic, friendly atmosphere.
- Bask on beaches which have topped CNN’s list of ‘the world’s best beaches’.
Nicely hidden away amidst beautifully landscaped tropical gardens dotted by swaying coconut palms that gently dance in...
Prepare yourself for a memorable 8-day holiday with your family at the avani seychelles , where you will be able to...
Located on the largest island of the Seychelles, Mahe, the Kempinski Seychelles boasts modern luxury rooms and suites...
Set 25m from the Au Cap beach on the Island of Mahe lies the cheerful Reef Holiday Apartments. These affordable...
Located in the south of Mahe Island, Au Fond De Mer View is a family-run hotel with stunning views of Anse Royale bay....
Enjoy completely refurbished guest rooms and comfortable accommodation at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay hotel. The...