Santa Clara's International Airport increases operations during holiday season
Villa Clara's Director of the National Office for Tourist Information (INFOTUR), Jesus Diaz-Canel announced that the regional airport is welcoming flights from Buenos Aires providing tourists from Argentina with a direct route for their Cuba holidays.
Travellers from Argentina have started arriving into the Abel Santamaria International Airport in Villa Clara on their Cuba holidays via flights from Buenos Aires into Villa Clara, according to the National Office for Tourist Information's Director, Jesus Diaz-Canel.
The airport has recently increased its operations and now operates over 40 flights a week during the tourist winter season, bringing travellers on their Cuba holidays from countries across Europe, North America and South America.
Diaz-Canel explained that statistics revealed a three percent increase in tourist arrivals to the Villa Clara province in 2010 as thousands of travellers flocked to the region to explore the beautiful natural scenery and landscapes comprising the cays of Santa Maria, Las Brujas and Ensenachos.
The central and northern province offers stretches of pristine white sandy beaches and beautiful coral reefs, plus the majestic Escambray Mountains and large lakes and rivers. The province is home to the famous Villa Clara Keys, a wildlife refuge covering over 77,000 hectares of land rich in biodiversity.
Situated approximately 300km from Havana, the Villa Clara Keys are part of the Jardines del Rey archipelago which is the largest archipelago in Cuba and located on the northern coast of the Caribbean island.
Tourists can choose between local Cayo Santa Maria hotels or luxury all inclusive beach resorts during their holidays in Cuba and Santa Clara, the capital city of the province, offers a selection of attractions and activities for visitors.
Visitors can relax under the sun in the Parque Vidal, the city's central park, or visit the monument which is home to the remains of the historical Che Guevara, the famous Argentine Marxist revolutionary.
Director of Abel Santamaria Airport, Mario Ricardo, said that the expansion of operations at the airport has led to additional training for staff members who will be helping to accommodate the needs of the influx of visitors, with the majority from Canada, on 160 flights during the island's high season.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...