Historic Hotels of Egypt to receive $368 million for renovation
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), owners of 22 historical Egypt hotels, will be promoted in the country's tourism market under the new Historic Hotels of Egypt brand after receiving $ 368 million of funding from the state.
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), creators of a new hotel brand of Egypt hotels, will receive state support in order to promote them in the tourist market.
The EGOTH Company currently own 22 Egypt hotels in which nine properties feature areas of historical value and will now be promoted under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand.
To help promote the brand, the company will receive $368 million which will be allocated to the project for the reconstruction and rebuilding of the former magnificence of these luxury hotels.
A number of these Historic Hotels of Egypt are already undergoing changes and massive restoration including The Shepheard Hotel in Cairo which has been providing Egypt holidays for travellers since 1841. Restoration work on one of the oldest and most luxurious of Cairo hotels began in July 2010 with support from the Rocce Forte Luxury Collection hotel chain.
The Old Cataract Hotel, famous for visits from Princess Diana and Winston Churchill and situated in Aswan, will be open to guests after restoration which will take place this year. The Nile Ritz Carlton Cairo is expected to be restored and reopened in 2013.
Other properties under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand include The Palestine Hotel and the Cecil Hotel in Alexandria; Mena House Oberoi close to the Pyramids; the Marriott in Cairo; and the Luxor hotel, Winter Palace.
Historic Hotels has a network of hotels across Europe, Canada, and the United States, of which some are privately owned and some are owned by the state or governments. Individuals looking to invest in the restoration of Egypt hotels are also permitted, according to EGOTH.
Chairman of EGOTH, General Nabil Selim, explained: "We want to upgrade the entire hospitality industry. We are investing the money not just to protect the assets, but to attract new hotel chains that have not operated in Egypt before."
He added: "It is also important that the state-owned hotels can compete with newcomers from the private sector."
The restored hotels will also feature new conference and meeting facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
"Meetings, conference and incentive planners think two years in advance. That is why I am launching [the brand] now, because in two years I'm going to have my entire portfolio renovated," said Selim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Stay on the MS Royal VIking before a stay at the luxurious Sonesta St. George Luxor
- Sail the Nile in luxurious style onboard the newest, most magnificent floating hotel on the River Nile
- This cruise and hotel combine perfectly for a fantastic holiday
- Five star splendour on the banks of the Nile at Sonesta St. George Luxor
Enjoy an Egyptian holiday of a lifetime, exploring Cairo and Luxor along with a fantastic cruise included
Stay in Cairo, Luxor and journey through the nile on a fantastic Cruise, given you the chance to discover Egypt
- Steigenberger Hotel Nile Palace is set in the heart of Luxor, close to the Temple of Luxor and with a magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile.
- Ms Royal Viking is a smart, sophisticated ambience with all amenities included for that relaxing sail along the ancient River Nile
- Le Meridien Pyramids is set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo.
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports on offer
Enjoy a Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday with a wide range of activities
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
M/S Royal Viking Itinerary (7 nights) Day One (Monday) Meet & assist al Luxor airport by our local representative....
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...