Historic Hotels of Egypt to receive $368 million for renovation
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), owners of 22 historical Egypt hotels, will be promoted in the country's tourism market under the new Historic Hotels of Egypt brand after receiving $ 368 million of funding from the state.
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), creators of a new hotel brand of Egypt hotels, will receive state support in order to promote them in the tourist market.
The EGOTH Company currently own 22 Egypt hotels in which nine properties feature areas of historical value and will now be promoted under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand.
To help promote the brand, the company will receive $368 million which will be allocated to the project for the reconstruction and rebuilding of the former magnificence of these luxury hotels.
A number of these Historic Hotels of Egypt are already undergoing changes and massive restoration including The Shepheard Hotel in Cairo which has been providing Egypt holidays for travellers since 1841. Restoration work on one of the oldest and most luxurious of Cairo hotels began in July 2010 with support from the Rocce Forte Luxury Collection hotel chain.
The Old Cataract Hotel, famous for visits from Princess Diana and Winston Churchill and situated in Aswan, will be open to guests after restoration which will take place this year. The Nile Ritz Carlton Cairo is expected to be restored and reopened in 2013.
Other properties under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand include The Palestine Hotel and the Cecil Hotel in Alexandria; Mena House Oberoi close to the Pyramids; the Marriott in Cairo; and the Luxor hotel, Winter Palace.
Historic Hotels has a network of hotels across Europe, Canada, and the United States, of which some are privately owned and some are owned by the state or governments. Individuals looking to invest in the restoration of Egypt hotels are also permitted, according to EGOTH.
Chairman of EGOTH, General Nabil Selim, explained: "We want to upgrade the entire hospitality industry. We are investing the money not just to protect the assets, but to attract new hotel chains that have not operated in Egypt before."
He added: "It is also important that the state-owned hotels can compete with newcomers from the private sector."
The restored hotels will also feature new conference and meeting facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
"Meetings, conference and incentive planners think two years in advance. That is why I am launching [the brand] now, because in two years I'm going to have my entire portfolio renovated," said Selim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
With access to a private beach and every facility imaginable on site it's no wonder guests return to Hilton Sharks bay - it's a perfect for the whole family
- Relax and unwind with a massage or jacuzzi in the health club
- Enjoy a number of dining options including Il Rustico Restaurant - where you can enjoy barbeques on the terrace
- Enjoy the evenings with the nightly entertainment programme
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm El Sheikh is known for its wonderful beaches; take six days to enjoy the best of this...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Sharm El Sheikh, a resort town sitting on Egypt's Red Sea shores, is one of the country's top tourist destinations. Find...