Historic Hotels of Egypt to receive $368 million for renovation
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), owners of 22 historical Egypt hotels, will be promoted in the country's tourism market under the new Historic Hotels of Egypt brand after receiving $ 368 million of funding from the state.
The Egyptian Group of Tourism and Hotels (EGOTH), creators of a new hotel brand of Egypt hotels, will receive state support in order to promote them in the tourist market.
The EGOTH Company currently own 22 Egypt hotels in which nine properties feature areas of historical value and will now be promoted under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand.
To help promote the brand, the company will receive $368 million which will be allocated to the project for the reconstruction and rebuilding of the former magnificence of these luxury hotels.
A number of these Historic Hotels of Egypt are already undergoing changes and massive restoration including The Shepheard Hotel in Cairo which has been providing Egypt holidays for travellers since 1841. Restoration work on one of the oldest and most luxurious of Cairo hotels began in July 2010 with support from the Rocce Forte Luxury Collection hotel chain.
The Old Cataract Hotel, famous for visits from Princess Diana and Winston Churchill and situated in Aswan, will be open to guests after restoration which will take place this year. The Nile Ritz Carlton Cairo is expected to be restored and reopened in 2013.
Other properties under the Historic Hotels of Egypt brand include The Palestine Hotel and the Cecil Hotel in Alexandria; Mena House Oberoi close to the Pyramids; the Marriott in Cairo; and the Luxor hotel, Winter Palace.
Historic Hotels has a network of hotels across Europe, Canada, and the United States, of which some are privately owned and some are owned by the state or governments. Individuals looking to invest in the restoration of Egypt hotels are also permitted, according to EGOTH.
Chairman of EGOTH, General Nabil Selim, explained: "We want to upgrade the entire hospitality industry. We are investing the money not just to protect the assets, but to attract new hotel chains that have not operated in Egypt before."
He added: "It is also important that the state-owned hotels can compete with newcomers from the private sector."
The restored hotels will also feature new conference and meeting facilities with state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
"Meetings, conference and incentive planners think two years in advance. That is why I am launching [the brand] now, because in two years I'm going to have my entire portfolio renovated," said Selim.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...