Shangri-La to open seven-star super luxurious hotel in Sri Lanka
The Hong Kong hotel chain, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, have announced that they will start the construction of new seven-star hotel in Sri Lanka which will provide Sri Lanka luxury holidays for high end travellers from all over the globe.
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts have announced that they will be providing Sri Lanka luxury holidays to travellers in the near future as construction is set to begin in 2011 of the new 7-star hotel near Colombo.
The Hong Kong hotel chain has signed an agreement with the Sri Lankan government to acquire ownership of 10 acres of land in Galle Face near the Sri Lanka's capital city, a site which was previously owned by the Ministry of National Defence.
Chairman of the Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa, confirmed that Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts will be investing approximately $500 million into the new project and construction work will begin this year.
The latest addition to luxury hotels in Sri Lanka will feature 500 luxury rooms and suites and a wide range of lavish facilities and the completed hotels is scheduled to be open to guests on Sri Lanka luxury holidays in 2014.
Mr Godaheva expressed his confidence in the joint project, highlighting the importance for the tourism development in Sri Lanka. He explained: "This is a landmark achievement for the government of Sri Lanka. Such mega-investments undoubtedly strengthen investor confidence and create a more attractive investment image of the country. Also the chairman of the Tourism Agency reported that there were applications from other hotel chains to build two more 7-star hotels on land belonging to private individuals."
The Hong Kong hotel group specialises in luxury hotels and currently owns and operates approximately 70 properties across Asia Pacific, North America, and the Middle East. Established in 1971, the Shangri-La Group are now planning on future projects across Australia, United Kingdom, China, India, Canada, Turkey, Macau, the Seychelles, and the Philippines.
The Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency are also planning to attract more travellers to book holidays in Sri Lanka with a large-scale promotional campaign, "Visit Sri Lanka", which will take place this year. Every month of the year will be dedicated to a topic which highlights the beautiful island situated in the Indian Ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...