Shangri-La to open seven-star super luxurious hotel in Sri Lanka
The Hong Kong hotel chain, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, have announced that they will start the construction of new seven-star hotel in Sri Lanka which will provide Sri Lanka luxury holidays for high end travellers from all over the globe.
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts have announced that they will be providing Sri Lanka luxury holidays to travellers in the near future as construction is set to begin in 2011 of the new 7-star hotel near Colombo.
The Hong Kong hotel chain has signed an agreement with the Sri Lankan government to acquire ownership of 10 acres of land in Galle Face near the Sri Lanka's capital city, a site which was previously owned by the Ministry of National Defence.
Chairman of the Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa, confirmed that Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts will be investing approximately $500 million into the new project and construction work will begin this year.
The latest addition to luxury hotels in Sri Lanka will feature 500 luxury rooms and suites and a wide range of lavish facilities and the completed hotels is scheduled to be open to guests on Sri Lanka luxury holidays in 2014.
Mr Godaheva expressed his confidence in the joint project, highlighting the importance for the tourism development in Sri Lanka. He explained: "This is a landmark achievement for the government of Sri Lanka. Such mega-investments undoubtedly strengthen investor confidence and create a more attractive investment image of the country. Also the chairman of the Tourism Agency reported that there were applications from other hotel chains to build two more 7-star hotels on land belonging to private individuals."
The Hong Kong hotel group specialises in luxury hotels and currently owns and operates approximately 70 properties across Asia Pacific, North America, and the Middle East. Established in 1971, the Shangri-La Group are now planning on future projects across Australia, United Kingdom, China, India, Canada, Turkey, Macau, the Seychelles, and the Philippines.
The Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency are also planning to attract more travellers to book holidays in Sri Lanka with a large-scale promotional campaign, "Visit Sri Lanka", which will take place this year. Every month of the year will be dedicated to a topic which highlights the beautiful island situated in the Indian Ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
The Topaz Hotel is perfect for those who want to explore St Paul's bay and Malta's rugged countryside. Affordable and...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...