Shangri-La to open seven-star super luxurious hotel in Sri Lanka
The Hong Kong hotel chain, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, have announced that they will start the construction of new seven-star hotel in Sri Lanka which will provide Sri Lanka luxury holidays for high end travellers from all over the globe.
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts have announced that they will be providing Sri Lanka luxury holidays to travellers in the near future as construction is set to begin in 2011 of the new 7-star hotel near Colombo.
The Hong Kong hotel chain has signed an agreement with the Sri Lankan government to acquire ownership of 10 acres of land in Galle Face near the Sri Lanka's capital city, a site which was previously owned by the Ministry of National Defence.
Chairman of the Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa, confirmed that Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts will be investing approximately $500 million into the new project and construction work will begin this year.
The latest addition to luxury hotels in Sri Lanka will feature 500 luxury rooms and suites and a wide range of lavish facilities and the completed hotels is scheduled to be open to guests on Sri Lanka luxury holidays in 2014.
Mr Godaheva expressed his confidence in the joint project, highlighting the importance for the tourism development in Sri Lanka. He explained: "This is a landmark achievement for the government of Sri Lanka. Such mega-investments undoubtedly strengthen investor confidence and create a more attractive investment image of the country. Also the chairman of the Tourism Agency reported that there were applications from other hotel chains to build two more 7-star hotels on land belonging to private individuals."
The Hong Kong hotel group specialises in luxury hotels and currently owns and operates approximately 70 properties across Asia Pacific, North America, and the Middle East. Established in 1971, the Shangri-La Group are now planning on future projects across Australia, United Kingdom, China, India, Canada, Turkey, Macau, the Seychelles, and the Philippines.
The Sri Lankan Tourism Development Agency are also planning to attract more travellers to book holidays in Sri Lanka with a large-scale promotional campaign, "Visit Sri Lanka", which will take place this year. Every month of the year will be dedicated to a topic which highlights the beautiful island situated in the Indian Ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...