Dominican Republic Holidays offer fantastic ecotourism activities
Ecotourists looking to encounter unique experiences during their Dominican Republic holidays can enjoy whale-watching at Samana Bay, kite boarding at Cabarete Bay, or hiking to the top of the Pico Duarte, the Caribbean's highest mountain.
With acres of lush green land, beautiful coastal areas and several protected wildlife reserves and national parks, it's no wonder ecotourists are booking Dominican Republic holidays for a unique natural experience.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, the Dominican Republic is a nation which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. Occupying two thirds of the island, Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba and is home to an array of beautiful landscapes, wildlife and people.
The country is a major destination for ecotourists because of its lush green landscapes, pristine beaches, and nature parks and sanctuaries. Samana Bay offers the perfect spot or whale watching activities during Dominican Republic holidays and is home to The Sanctuary for Marine Mammals of the Dominican Republic which covers 200 square miles surrounding the Peninsula of Samana and is one of the world's first whale sanctuaries.
Every winter, between 3,500 and 5,000 of these magnificent creatures migrate to the Bay of Samana where they will mate and give birth in the area's warmer waters. Tourists can witness spectacular sightings of the whales in the bay between January and March.
The Dominican Republic has been one of the leading nations in the Caribbean in preserving eco systems since 1962, forming close partnerships with the United Nations, the Nature Conservancy, and the Smithsonian in order to form environmental protection for a number of national parks and wildlife reserves in the country.
The island nation is keen to promote eco-friendly activities on the island to encourage more travellers to enjoy holiday in the Dominican Republic. These activities include whale watching in Samana Bay; hiking, mountain bike riding or horse riding through Los Haitises National Park; hiking to the 131-foot high Salto de Jimenoa Waterfall; climbing the highest mountain in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte; taking catamaran cruises to Isla Saona where they can catch sightings of sharks, turtles, dolphins and whales; scuba dive and snorkel around the island's vibrant coral reefs; or take a cruise along Lake Enriquillo , the lowest point in the Caribbean.
Travellers looking for adrenalin-seeking activities during their Puerto Plata holidays can slide down 43-foot waterfalls and explore the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua, or head to Cabarete Bay, a paradise for kite boarding, scuba diving, boogie-boarding and surfing enthusiasts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy luxury with a 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Boasting a wonderful location, immaculate tropical gardens, and a stunning stretch of beach
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, Steak House and more
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne, fruit basket and a romantic dinner
From the allure of the beach to the excellence of premium all-inclusive service, this is the place to make your every holiday dream an unforgettable reality
- Family friendly services including an Explorer's Club for kids and a Core Zone for teens
- De-stress at the world-class spa and select from an indulging array of treatments
- Enjoy an array of activities including watersports, golf, horse riding, organised ball games, aerobic, dance and Spanish classes and more.
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...