Travellers on Thomson cruiser receive red carpet treatment in Havana, Cuba
The nine-deck British cruise ship, Thomson Dean, pulled into Havana Harbour on Wednesday 5th January, where 1,500 tourists on Cuba holidays arriving on the Caribbean island received red carpet treatment as part of a welcoming party.
A nine-deck British cruise ship arrived in Havana Harbour in Cuba on Wednesday 5th January 2011, bringing 1,500 travellers on their two-night Cuba holidays.
A recent policy change in Cuba's government which formerly banned cruisers from the Caribbean island has enabled cruise liners to add Cuba to the list of destinations.
Cruise visits were previously banned because former Cuban President Fidel Castro believed that visitors brought large amounts of rubbish to the region but did not spend much money during their Cuba holidays.
The Thomson Dream cruise ship sailed into Havana and guests onboard received the red carpet treatment from Cubans as they arrived in Cuba with a welcoming party comprising a salsa band, showgirls in bikini tops and colourful feather headdresses, and dancing schoolchildren.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, a Cuban tourism official, said that the new deal with the Thomson Cruise Ships has also been expanded to additional agreements with other European tour operators.
Bisbe added that "each passenger spends an average of $50 to $200 per day on the island," which is a welcome boost in tourism revenue after recent hard times within the travel industry.
Guests onboard the Thomson Dream will get the chance to visit a number of attractions and beautiful landscapes during their holidays in Cuba including a trip to Vinales Valley in western Pinar del Rio province and the Zapata wetlands in Matanzas. Tourists will also get the chance to attend the famous Tropicana Cabaret Show and the nightly cannon shot ceremony at the historic Spanish San Carlos de la Cabana Fort.
The Thomson Dream cruise begins in Cozumel in Mexico where it will then head off for a journey around the Caribbean stopping off at Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Barbados, Curacao, Aruba and Santa Marta, a city in Colombia.
The cruise ship business within Cuba saw a significant decline when the Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises was bought by the Florida-based Royal Caribbean Cruises. Because of the ongoing U.S – Cuba travel embargo, tourists from the United States were unable to visit the Caribbean island and the company was banned from doing any business in the area.
The Russian cruise ship, Adriana, has also recently started providing around Cuba with Tropicana Cruises Company Ltd.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...