Travellers on Thomson cruiser receive red carpet treatment in Havana, Cuba
The nine-deck British cruise ship, Thomson Dean, pulled into Havana Harbour on Wednesday 5th January, where 1,500 tourists on Cuba holidays arriving on the Caribbean island received red carpet treatment as part of a welcoming party.
A nine-deck British cruise ship arrived in Havana Harbour in Cuba on Wednesday 5th January 2011, bringing 1,500 travellers on their two-night Cuba holidays.
A recent policy change in Cuba's government which formerly banned cruisers from the Caribbean island has enabled cruise liners to add Cuba to the list of destinations.
Cruise visits were previously banned because former Cuban President Fidel Castro believed that visitors brought large amounts of rubbish to the region but did not spend much money during their Cuba holidays.
The Thomson Dream cruise ship sailed into Havana and guests onboard received the red carpet treatment from Cubans as they arrived in Cuba with a welcoming party comprising a salsa band, showgirls in bikini tops and colourful feather headdresses, and dancing schoolchildren.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, a Cuban tourism official, said that the new deal with the Thomson Cruise Ships has also been expanded to additional agreements with other European tour operators.
Bisbe added that "each passenger spends an average of $50 to $200 per day on the island," which is a welcome boost in tourism revenue after recent hard times within the travel industry.
Guests onboard the Thomson Dream will get the chance to visit a number of attractions and beautiful landscapes during their holidays in Cuba including a trip to Vinales Valley in western Pinar del Rio province and the Zapata wetlands in Matanzas. Tourists will also get the chance to attend the famous Tropicana Cabaret Show and the nightly cannon shot ceremony at the historic Spanish San Carlos de la Cabana Fort.
The Thomson Dream cruise begins in Cozumel in Mexico where it will then head off for a journey around the Caribbean stopping off at Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Barbados, Curacao, Aruba and Santa Marta, a city in Colombia.
The cruise ship business within Cuba saw a significant decline when the Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises was bought by the Florida-based Royal Caribbean Cruises. Because of the ongoing U.S – Cuba travel embargo, tourists from the United States were unable to visit the Caribbean island and the company was banned from doing any business in the area.
The Russian cruise ship, Adriana, has also recently started providing around Cuba with Tropicana Cruises Company Ltd.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...