Travellers on Thomson cruiser receive red carpet treatment in Havana, Cuba
The nine-deck British cruise ship, Thomson Dean, pulled into Havana Harbour on Wednesday 5th January, where 1,500 tourists on Cuba holidays arriving on the Caribbean island received red carpet treatment as part of a welcoming party.
A nine-deck British cruise ship arrived in Havana Harbour in Cuba on Wednesday 5th January 2011, bringing 1,500 travellers on their two-night Cuba holidays.
A recent policy change in Cuba's government which formerly banned cruisers from the Caribbean island has enabled cruise liners to add Cuba to the list of destinations.
Cruise visits were previously banned because former Cuban President Fidel Castro believed that visitors brought large amounts of rubbish to the region but did not spend much money during their Cuba holidays.
The Thomson Dream cruise ship sailed into Havana and guests onboard received the red carpet treatment from Cubans as they arrived in Cuba with a welcoming party comprising a salsa band, showgirls in bikini tops and colourful feather headdresses, and dancing schoolchildren.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, a Cuban tourism official, said that the new deal with the Thomson Cruise Ships has also been expanded to additional agreements with other European tour operators.
Bisbe added that "each passenger spends an average of $50 to $200 per day on the island," which is a welcome boost in tourism revenue after recent hard times within the travel industry.
Guests onboard the Thomson Dream will get the chance to visit a number of attractions and beautiful landscapes during their holidays in Cuba including a trip to Vinales Valley in western Pinar del Rio province and the Zapata wetlands in Matanzas. Tourists will also get the chance to attend the famous Tropicana Cabaret Show and the nightly cannon shot ceremony at the historic Spanish San Carlos de la Cabana Fort.
The Thomson Dream cruise begins in Cozumel in Mexico where it will then head off for a journey around the Caribbean stopping off at Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Barbados, Curacao, Aruba and Santa Marta, a city in Colombia.
The cruise ship business within Cuba saw a significant decline when the Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises was bought by the Florida-based Royal Caribbean Cruises. Because of the ongoing U.S – Cuba travel embargo, tourists from the United States were unable to visit the Caribbean island and the company was banned from doing any business in the area.
The Russian cruise ship, Adriana, has also recently started providing around Cuba with Tropicana Cruises Company Ltd.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Book today and receive a free tour seeing all the iconic sights of Havana
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Vardaero
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...