Travellers on Thomson cruiser receive red carpet treatment in Havana, Cuba
The nine-deck British cruise ship, Thomson Dean, pulled into Havana Harbour on Wednesday 5th January, where 1,500 tourists on Cuba holidays arriving on the Caribbean island received red carpet treatment as part of a welcoming party.
A nine-deck British cruise ship arrived in Havana Harbour in Cuba on Wednesday 5th January 2011, bringing 1,500 travellers on their two-night Cuba holidays.
A recent policy change in Cuba's government which formerly banned cruisers from the Caribbean island has enabled cruise liners to add Cuba to the list of destinations.
Cruise visits were previously banned because former Cuban President Fidel Castro believed that visitors brought large amounts of rubbish to the region but did not spend much money during their Cuba holidays.
The Thomson Dream cruise ship sailed into Havana and guests onboard received the red carpet treatment from Cubans as they arrived in Cuba with a welcoming party comprising a salsa band, showgirls in bikini tops and colourful feather headdresses, and dancing schoolchildren.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, a Cuban tourism official, said that the new deal with the Thomson Cruise Ships has also been expanded to additional agreements with other European tour operators.
Bisbe added that "each passenger spends an average of $50 to $200 per day on the island," which is a welcome boost in tourism revenue after recent hard times within the travel industry.
Guests onboard the Thomson Dream will get the chance to visit a number of attractions and beautiful landscapes during their holidays in Cuba including a trip to Vinales Valley in western Pinar del Rio province and the Zapata wetlands in Matanzas. Tourists will also get the chance to attend the famous Tropicana Cabaret Show and the nightly cannon shot ceremony at the historic Spanish San Carlos de la Cabana Fort.
The Thomson Dream cruise begins in Cozumel in Mexico where it will then head off for a journey around the Caribbean stopping off at Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Barbados, Curacao, Aruba and Santa Marta, a city in Colombia.
The cruise ship business within Cuba saw a significant decline when the Spanish-based Pullmantur Cruises was bought by the Florida-based Royal Caribbean Cruises. Because of the ongoing U.S – Cuba travel embargo, tourists from the United States were unable to visit the Caribbean island and the company was banned from doing any business in the area.
The Russian cruise ship, Adriana, has also recently started providing around Cuba with Tropicana Cruises Company Ltd.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Seize this opportunity to explore Cuba's mystical and ancient capital from top to bottom, savouring its enduring...
Explore the beautiful and interesting sites of Cuba's capital during an 8-day stay in the centric Park View Hotel....