Caribbean Nature Reserve receives 319,000 hectares of protected land
One of the most popular attractions visited by travellers on Riviera May holidays, the Sian Ka'an Nature Reserve, has received 319,000 hectare of protected land, making the total of the reserve to nearly one million hectares.
Officials have announced that the Sian Ka'an Nature Reserve has received 319,000 hectares of protected land, bringing the total to nearly one million hectares (2.5 million acres).
The beautiful nature reserve is one of the region's most popular attractions for tourists enjoying Riviera Maya holidays and is home to 103 species of mammals, 336 species of birds and over 2000 human inhabitants. The park also features 23 archaeological sites including many dating back over 2,300 years.
Situated in Tulum in the Quintana Roo state, Sian Ka'an, which means "gateway to heavens" in Mayan, is protected by a 1981 presidential decree created by Tulum National Park. The decree limits the activities carried out by Riviera Maya hotels which are located on the edge of the biosphere reserve in order to protect the turtles, protected animals and the ancient Maya civilization ruins.
The park also features several ecotourism and education centres with a range of conservation and education programmes available to visitors on Riviera Maya holidays. Tourists can take part in a range of activities in the reserves including tours and fishing, whilst learning about the history, environment and conservation efforts.
Tourism authorities and businesses are keen to develop tourism in the southern part of the Mexican state but many environmental groups have protested against this. The Quintana Roo state is home to the world's biggest underground river system and is a vital reserve for fresh water. Further construction or development could pose a threat to the land and its wildlife.
President of the Mayab Ecological Group, Araceli Dominguez, said: "Everyone is after those plots of land. Development can be done, but in line with environmental criteria and in low densities."
Tourism brings in vital revenue for the region and the nature reserve attracts thousands of tourists every year who are keen to explore the breathtaking natural surroundings during their Mexico and Cancun holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Exuding romance and adults-only exclusivity, this luxury retreat will pamper you from head to foot with its indulgent Unlimited Luxury concept.
- Unlimited-Luxury® will give you the celebrity treatment with unlimited premium drinks and gourmet meals
- Relax and rejuvenate at the relax Spa by Pevonia® with a wide range of pampering treatments on offer
- Have the time of your life with exciting parties and endless entertainment
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free Wi-Fi; it's all there and it's all included
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. This resort boasts the timeless...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
The Maya Riviera has been a tourist magnet for many years now; heed the call of this magical destination and enjoy sun...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...