Cash-strapped Cuba looks to boost tourism with cruises
As the number of travellers booking Cuba holidays increases, tourism officials are hopeful that they will reach their target of 2.7 million visitors next year as they set out plans to encourage visitors to the region on cruise ships.
Cuba goverment officials are hopeful about the future of the island's tourism as the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million.
The numbers are up four percent in comparison to the same time last year and the cash-strapped Caribbean country is optimistic that they will see tourist arrivals increase even further in 2011 with a target of 2.7 million.
To help lure travellers to the region, tourism officials are implementing plans to encourage people to book Cuba holidays on cruise ships.
The announcement comes just as Tropicana Cruises Ltd reveals that it will be providing a luxury cruise in Cuba on the Russian ship, Adriana. The ship will leave from Cuba's capital city, Havana, stopping off in Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth), Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Ocho Rios in Jamaica, Santiago de Cuba and Cayo Saetia in Holguin.
Despite the number of visitors to the region on the rise, Cuba has not seen the spending habits of tourists grow at the same pace. Many Cuba hotels are still not meeting occupancy level targets and it seems that cash-strapped travellers are tightening their purse strings during their travels.
During the global economic crisis last year, tourist spending on the island reduced by approximately 11 percent. In September 2010, spending increase by 3.5 percent but this was still behind the four percent increase in arrivals.
Cuba relies on travellers from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and Italy. Despite the communist-led country being located so close to the United States, the decades-long travel embargo is still in place which forbids the travel of U.S travellers to Cuba unless they have family or are working in the region as researchers, musicians, or food exporters.
Tourism officials in Cuba are hoping that together with more cruise liners visiting the country and the development of golf resorts and vacations homes from foreign partners, tourism will boost by a further 10 percent in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...