Cash-strapped Cuba looks to boost tourism with cruises
As the number of travellers booking Cuba holidays increases, tourism officials are hopeful that they will reach their target of 2.7 million visitors next year as they set out plans to encourage visitors to the region on cruise ships.
Cuba goverment officials are hopeful about the future of the island's tourism as the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million.
The numbers are up four percent in comparison to the same time last year and the cash-strapped Caribbean country is optimistic that they will see tourist arrivals increase even further in 2011 with a target of 2.7 million.
To help lure travellers to the region, tourism officials are implementing plans to encourage people to book Cuba holidays on cruise ships.
The announcement comes just as Tropicana Cruises Ltd reveals that it will be providing a luxury cruise in Cuba on the Russian ship, Adriana. The ship will leave from Cuba's capital city, Havana, stopping off in Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth), Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Ocho Rios in Jamaica, Santiago de Cuba and Cayo Saetia in Holguin.
Despite the number of visitors to the region on the rise, Cuba has not seen the spending habits of tourists grow at the same pace. Many Cuba hotels are still not meeting occupancy level targets and it seems that cash-strapped travellers are tightening their purse strings during their travels.
During the global economic crisis last year, tourist spending on the island reduced by approximately 11 percent. In September 2010, spending increase by 3.5 percent but this was still behind the four percent increase in arrivals.
Cuba relies on travellers from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and Italy. Despite the communist-led country being located so close to the United States, the decades-long travel embargo is still in place which forbids the travel of U.S travellers to Cuba unless they have family or are working in the region as researchers, musicians, or food exporters.
Tourism officials in Cuba are hoping that together with more cruise liners visiting the country and the development of golf resorts and vacations homes from foreign partners, tourism will boost by a further 10 percent in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...