Cash-strapped Cuba looks to boost tourism with cruises
As the number of travellers booking Cuba holidays increases, tourism officials are hopeful that they will reach their target of 2.7 million visitors next year as they set out plans to encourage visitors to the region on cruise ships.
Cuba goverment officials are hopeful about the future of the island's tourism as the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million.
The numbers are up four percent in comparison to the same time last year and the cash-strapped Caribbean country is optimistic that they will see tourist arrivals increase even further in 2011 with a target of 2.7 million.
To help lure travellers to the region, tourism officials are implementing plans to encourage people to book Cuba holidays on cruise ships.
The announcement comes just as Tropicana Cruises Ltd reveals that it will be providing a luxury cruise in Cuba on the Russian ship, Adriana. The ship will leave from Cuba's capital city, Havana, stopping off in Isla de la Juventud (Isle of Youth), Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Ocho Rios in Jamaica, Santiago de Cuba and Cayo Saetia in Holguin.
Despite the number of visitors to the region on the rise, Cuba has not seen the spending habits of tourists grow at the same pace. Many Cuba hotels are still not meeting occupancy level targets and it seems that cash-strapped travellers are tightening their purse strings during their travels.
During the global economic crisis last year, tourist spending on the island reduced by approximately 11 percent. In September 2010, spending increase by 3.5 percent but this was still behind the four percent increase in arrivals.
Cuba relies on travellers from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and Italy. Despite the communist-led country being located so close to the United States, the decades-long travel embargo is still in place which forbids the travel of U.S travellers to Cuba unless they have family or are working in the region as researchers, musicians, or food exporters.
Tourism officials in Cuba are hoping that together with more cruise liners visiting the country and the development of golf resorts and vacations homes from foreign partners, tourism will boost by a further 10 percent in 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...