Cuba expected to receive 2.5 million tourists by end of 2010
The number of travellers who have taken Cuba holidays in 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million by the close of the year, according a senior official of the Ministry of Tourism, and a growth of 10 percent is expected for 2011.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of visitors who have been on Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to hit 2.5 million by the end of the year.
Commercial Director, Jose Manuel Bisbe, said that he satisfied with the figures and that this number is expected to increase by a further 10 percent during 2011 as it expects to welcome 2.7 million tourists enjoying Cuba holidays.
Bisbe stated: "We are not so far away from the goal of 3 million visitors to Cuba per year."
With over 56,000 rooms in Cuba hotels across the region, the destination is fast becoming one of the more popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
The majority of visitors booking holidays in Cuba are from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina. The ongoing US-Cuba travel embargo will not allow travellers from the United States to visit the region unless they have family or business in Cuba.
Tourism is the second source of revenue for the economy of Cuba, and in 2009, tourism brought in 2.2 billion U.S dollars of income.
"Cuba is currently developing cruises, recreational boating and eco-tourism. It is also building new golf courses for 2012," Bisbe added.
Cuba is an island country situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the United States and east of Mexico, which features several archipelagos including the Isla de la Juventud.
The beautiful region oozes charm, culture, historical sites, and breathtaking scenery including pristine beaches, turquoise waters and the Sierra Maestra Mountains in the south east.
Despite a turbulent political past and ongoing embargos with the United States, Cuba is expected to become the most popular Caribbean destination for travellers. The capital city of Cuba, Havana, offers a bustling and vibrant atmosphere for visitors with plenty to see and do along the cobbled streets and Cuban cafes thriving with music and traditional cuisine, while Varadero offers a relaxing setting with miles of pristine beaches and luxury hotels, and gourmet restaurants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...