Cuba expected to receive 2.5 million tourists by end of 2010
The number of travellers who have taken Cuba holidays in 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million by the close of the year, according a senior official of the Ministry of Tourism, and a growth of 10 percent is expected for 2011.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of visitors who have been on Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to hit 2.5 million by the end of the year.
Commercial Director, Jose Manuel Bisbe, said that he satisfied with the figures and that this number is expected to increase by a further 10 percent during 2011 as it expects to welcome 2.7 million tourists enjoying Cuba holidays.
Bisbe stated: "We are not so far away from the goal of 3 million visitors to Cuba per year."
With over 56,000 rooms in Cuba hotels across the region, the destination is fast becoming one of the more popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
The majority of visitors booking holidays in Cuba are from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina. The ongoing US-Cuba travel embargo will not allow travellers from the United States to visit the region unless they have family or business in Cuba.
Tourism is the second source of revenue for the economy of Cuba, and in 2009, tourism brought in 2.2 billion U.S dollars of income.
"Cuba is currently developing cruises, recreational boating and eco-tourism. It is also building new golf courses for 2012," Bisbe added.
Cuba is an island country situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the United States and east of Mexico, which features several archipelagos including the Isla de la Juventud.
The beautiful region oozes charm, culture, historical sites, and breathtaking scenery including pristine beaches, turquoise waters and the Sierra Maestra Mountains in the south east.
Despite a turbulent political past and ongoing embargos with the United States, Cuba is expected to become the most popular Caribbean destination for travellers. The capital city of Cuba, Havana, offers a bustling and vibrant atmosphere for visitors with plenty to see and do along the cobbled streets and Cuban cafes thriving with music and traditional cuisine, while Varadero offers a relaxing setting with miles of pristine beaches and luxury hotels, and gourmet restaurants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...