Cuba expected to receive 2.5 million tourists by end of 2010
The number of travellers who have taken Cuba holidays in 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million by the close of the year, according a senior official of the Ministry of Tourism, and a growth of 10 percent is expected for 2011.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of visitors who have been on Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to hit 2.5 million by the end of the year.
Commercial Director, Jose Manuel Bisbe, said that he satisfied with the figures and that this number is expected to increase by a further 10 percent during 2011 as it expects to welcome 2.7 million tourists enjoying Cuba holidays.
Bisbe stated: "We are not so far away from the goal of 3 million visitors to Cuba per year."
With over 56,000 rooms in Cuba hotels across the region, the destination is fast becoming one of the more popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
The majority of visitors booking holidays in Cuba are from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina. The ongoing US-Cuba travel embargo will not allow travellers from the United States to visit the region unless they have family or business in Cuba.
Tourism is the second source of revenue for the economy of Cuba, and in 2009, tourism brought in 2.2 billion U.S dollars of income.
"Cuba is currently developing cruises, recreational boating and eco-tourism. It is also building new golf courses for 2012," Bisbe added.
Cuba is an island country situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the United States and east of Mexico, which features several archipelagos including the Isla de la Juventud.
The beautiful region oozes charm, culture, historical sites, and breathtaking scenery including pristine beaches, turquoise waters and the Sierra Maestra Mountains in the south east.
Despite a turbulent political past and ongoing embargos with the United States, Cuba is expected to become the most popular Caribbean destination for travellers. The capital city of Cuba, Havana, offers a bustling and vibrant atmosphere for visitors with plenty to see and do along the cobbled streets and Cuban cafes thriving with music and traditional cuisine, while Varadero offers a relaxing setting with miles of pristine beaches and luxury hotels, and gourmet restaurants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...