Cuba expected to receive 2.5 million tourists by end of 2010
The number of travellers who have taken Cuba holidays in 2010 is expected to reach 2.5 million by the close of the year, according a senior official of the Ministry of Tourism, and a growth of 10 percent is expected for 2011.
The Ministry of Tourism has announced that the number of visitors who have been on Cuba holidays during 2010 is expected to hit 2.5 million by the end of the year.
Commercial Director, Jose Manuel Bisbe, said that he satisfied with the figures and that this number is expected to increase by a further 10 percent during 2011 as it expects to welcome 2.7 million tourists enjoying Cuba holidays.
Bisbe stated: "We are not so far away from the goal of 3 million visitors to Cuba per year."
With over 56,000 rooms in Cuba hotels across the region, the destination is fast becoming one of the more popular holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
The majority of visitors booking holidays in Cuba are from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Mexico, Spain and Argentina. The ongoing US-Cuba travel embargo will not allow travellers from the United States to visit the region unless they have family or business in Cuba.
Tourism is the second source of revenue for the economy of Cuba, and in 2009, tourism brought in 2.2 billion U.S dollars of income.
"Cuba is currently developing cruises, recreational boating and eco-tourism. It is also building new golf courses for 2012," Bisbe added.
Cuba is an island country situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the United States and east of Mexico, which features several archipelagos including the Isla de la Juventud.
The beautiful region oozes charm, culture, historical sites, and breathtaking scenery including pristine beaches, turquoise waters and the Sierra Maestra Mountains in the south east.
Despite a turbulent political past and ongoing embargos with the United States, Cuba is expected to become the most popular Caribbean destination for travellers. The capital city of Cuba, Havana, offers a bustling and vibrant atmosphere for visitors with plenty to see and do along the cobbled streets and Cuban cafes thriving with music and traditional cuisine, while Varadero offers a relaxing setting with miles of pristine beaches and luxury hotels, and gourmet restaurants.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...