Egypt tourism officials look to attract high end travellers
The Egyptian government is seeking new ways to encourage travellers to book Egypt holidays after a turbulent year with the recovery of the global recession and a recent series of shark attacks in which one tourist lost her life.
Just as things are looking up for Egypt with visitor numbers increasing despite the economic global crisis, the country has suffered another blow after a series of rare shark attacks earlier this month left one tourist dead and four others injured during their Sharm el Sheikh holidays.
The Egyptian government are seeking new ways to encourage travellers to once again book their Egypt holidays and reassure them that the attacks were rare and the area is safe to visit.
In the past Egypt has suffered from terrorist attacks on tourists enjoying Egypt holidays but the tourism sector has quickly recovered each time.
The government are now looking for new ways to strengthen the holiday industry and are targeting high end travellers which make up 21 percent of the country's foreign currency revenues.
Known for its pyramids, historic sites and sun and sea packages, Egypt is a popular destination for travellers all over the world and emerging destinations in the region are helping to increase visitor arrivals to the country.
To help entice high end travellers to book holidays at luxury Egypt hotels, the tourism ministry has launched a "product diversification" strategy which will help establish the country as a destination for golfing, snorkelling and spa holidays.
To help this along, the Dreamland golf course which surrounds the Alexandria highway leading out of Cairo has been renovated and is now a registered academy which was awarded the European Challenge Tour status earlier this year. The golf course saw 8,000 visitors three years ago and 25,000 visitors are expected to visit the complex in 2011.
Amr El Ezabi, chairman of the Egypt Tourist Authority, said: "First, you create a destination, then you create a brand," explains "Golf and wellness upgrade the image of Egypt."
Chief economist with EFG-Hermes bank, Monica Malik, said: "The Egyptians have a range of tourism attractions and a wide range of prices compared with the situation a couple of years ago. The crucial thing is to improve diversity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...