Egypt tourism officials look to attract high end travellers
The Egyptian government is seeking new ways to encourage travellers to book Egypt holidays after a turbulent year with the recovery of the global recession and a recent series of shark attacks in which one tourist lost her life.
Just as things are looking up for Egypt with visitor numbers increasing despite the economic global crisis, the country has suffered another blow after a series of rare shark attacks earlier this month left one tourist dead and four others injured during their Sharm el Sheikh holidays.
The Egyptian government are seeking new ways to encourage travellers to once again book their Egypt holidays and reassure them that the attacks were rare and the area is safe to visit.
In the past Egypt has suffered from terrorist attacks on tourists enjoying Egypt holidays but the tourism sector has quickly recovered each time.
The government are now looking for new ways to strengthen the holiday industry and are targeting high end travellers which make up 21 percent of the country's foreign currency revenues.
Known for its pyramids, historic sites and sun and sea packages, Egypt is a popular destination for travellers all over the world and emerging destinations in the region are helping to increase visitor arrivals to the country.
To help entice high end travellers to book holidays at luxury Egypt hotels, the tourism ministry has launched a "product diversification" strategy which will help establish the country as a destination for golfing, snorkelling and spa holidays.
To help this along, the Dreamland golf course which surrounds the Alexandria highway leading out of Cairo has been renovated and is now a registered academy which was awarded the European Challenge Tour status earlier this year. The golf course saw 8,000 visitors three years ago and 25,000 visitors are expected to visit the complex in 2011.
Amr El Ezabi, chairman of the Egypt Tourist Authority, said: "First, you create a destination, then you create a brand," explains "Golf and wellness upgrade the image of Egypt."
Chief economist with EFG-Hermes bank, Monica Malik, said: "The Egyptians have a range of tourism attractions and a wide range of prices compared with the situation a couple of years ago. The crucial thing is to improve diversity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
This boutique Nile Cruise combines old-world charm and sophistication with the luxury of modern amenities.
- With a limited number of suites and cabins this cruise offers an intimate and exclusive atmosphere of personal service and refined hospitality
- Unwind at the open-air oriental style Jacuzzi or chill in the elegant lounge
- Work on your tan from the spacious, scenic deck as you see 5,000 years of history unfold
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...