Egypt tourism officials look to attract high end travellers
The Egyptian government is seeking new ways to encourage travellers to book Egypt holidays after a turbulent year with the recovery of the global recession and a recent series of shark attacks in which one tourist lost her life.
Just as things are looking up for Egypt with visitor numbers increasing despite the economic global crisis, the country has suffered another blow after a series of rare shark attacks earlier this month left one tourist dead and four others injured during their Sharm el Sheikh holidays.
The Egyptian government are seeking new ways to encourage travellers to once again book their Egypt holidays and reassure them that the attacks were rare and the area is safe to visit.
In the past Egypt has suffered from terrorist attacks on tourists enjoying Egypt holidays but the tourism sector has quickly recovered each time.
The government are now looking for new ways to strengthen the holiday industry and are targeting high end travellers which make up 21 percent of the country's foreign currency revenues.
Known for its pyramids, historic sites and sun and sea packages, Egypt is a popular destination for travellers all over the world and emerging destinations in the region are helping to increase visitor arrivals to the country.
To help entice high end travellers to book holidays at luxury Egypt hotels, the tourism ministry has launched a "product diversification" strategy which will help establish the country as a destination for golfing, snorkelling and spa holidays.
To help this along, the Dreamland golf course which surrounds the Alexandria highway leading out of Cairo has been renovated and is now a registered academy which was awarded the European Challenge Tour status earlier this year. The golf course saw 8,000 visitors three years ago and 25,000 visitors are expected to visit the complex in 2011.
Amr El Ezabi, chairman of the Egypt Tourist Authority, said: "First, you create a destination, then you create a brand," explains "Golf and wellness upgrade the image of Egypt."
Chief economist with EFG-Hermes bank, Monica Malik, said: "The Egyptians have a range of tourism attractions and a wide range of prices compared with the situation a couple of years ago. The crucial thing is to improve diversity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...