Egypt tourism officials look to attract high end travellers
The Egyptian government is seeking new ways to encourage travellers to book Egypt holidays after a turbulent year with the recovery of the global recession and a recent series of shark attacks in which one tourist lost her life.
Just as things are looking up for Egypt with visitor numbers increasing despite the economic global crisis, the country has suffered another blow after a series of rare shark attacks earlier this month left one tourist dead and four others injured during their Sharm el Sheikh holidays.
The Egyptian government are seeking new ways to encourage travellers to once again book their Egypt holidays and reassure them that the attacks were rare and the area is safe to visit.
In the past Egypt has suffered from terrorist attacks on tourists enjoying Egypt holidays but the tourism sector has quickly recovered each time.
The government are now looking for new ways to strengthen the holiday industry and are targeting high end travellers which make up 21 percent of the country's foreign currency revenues.
Known for its pyramids, historic sites and sun and sea packages, Egypt is a popular destination for travellers all over the world and emerging destinations in the region are helping to increase visitor arrivals to the country.
To help entice high end travellers to book holidays at luxury Egypt hotels, the tourism ministry has launched a "product diversification" strategy which will help establish the country as a destination for golfing, snorkelling and spa holidays.
To help this along, the Dreamland golf course which surrounds the Alexandria highway leading out of Cairo has been renovated and is now a registered academy which was awarded the European Challenge Tour status earlier this year. The golf course saw 8,000 visitors three years ago and 25,000 visitors are expected to visit the complex in 2011.
Amr El Ezabi, chairman of the Egypt Tourist Authority, said: "First, you create a destination, then you create a brand," explains "Golf and wellness upgrade the image of Egypt."
Chief economist with EFG-Hermes bank, Monica Malik, said: "The Egyptians have a range of tourism attractions and a wide range of prices compared with the situation a couple of years ago. The crucial thing is to improve diversity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Experience the golden Sandy beaches of the beautiful Red Sea, the action in Soho Square and Na'ama Bay and a resort that has it all - Sierra Sharm el Sheikt awaits
- Enjoy elegant views of either the pool or gardens from your own private balcony/terrace
- Enjoy access to the Sierra's Wellness Centre & Aqua Spa, where you can enjoy a massage parlour, sauna & steam room
- Enjoy a variety of cuisines from a number of restaurants at the hotel - including Italian, freshly caught seafood & much more
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
With access to a private beach and every facility imaginable on site it's no wonder guests return to Hilton Sharks bay - it's a perfect for the whole family
- Relax and unwind with a massage or jacuzzi in the health club
- Enjoy a number of dining options including Il Rustico Restaurant - where you can enjoy barbeques on the terrace
- Enjoy the evenings with the nightly entertainment programme
Relaxing by the pool with a glass of a cocktail while enjoying spectacular views of the Red Sea
- Get the most of the 24-Hour all-inclusive service
- Enjoy the private beach and on-site dive centre with opportunities for scuba diving at the house coral reef
- Great hotel for families with plenty of activities to keep the kids and adults busy throughout
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
The Red Sea resort town of Sharm El Sheikh is known for its wonderful beaches; take six days to enjoy the best of this...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Sharm El Sheikh, a resort town sitting on Egypt's Red Sea shores, is one of the country's top tourist destinations. Find...