Egypt tourism will grow despite recent shark attacks
The Minister of Tourism for Egypt, Zoheir Garranah, has announced that travellers will once again be able to take Egypt holidays to the Sharm El Sheikh resorts as beaches reopen after a series of viscous shark attacks.
Travellers are being reassured that they will once again be able to take their Egypt holidays to the Sharm el Sheikh resort after a series of rare shark attacks left four tourists injured and one woman dead.
The Minister of Tourism, Zoheir Garranah, announced that half of the beaches are now open and travellers are being encouraged to go ahead with their Sharm el Sheikh holidays so that the resort can recover from the drop in tourism.
Garranah said: "We're seeing there's a slowdown in bookings, but not a frightening figure. It has to be dealt with."
Despite the recent decline in tourists staying in Egypt hotels and resorts due to the shark attacks, tourism growth targets on are on track with the number of tourists taking Egypt holidays up until November increasing by 17.5 per cent in 2010 compared to the same time last year.
Numbers of visitors to Egypt are expected to hit 14.7 million – 14.6 million by the close of 2010 with $12.6 billion in revenues.
Over the past two weeks, four tourists have been attacked by sharks whilst scuba diving and swimming, and last week a 70-year-old German tourist lost her life after being attacked by a shark whilst snorkelling.
It's not unusual to find sharks in the Red Sea but it is unusual for the creatures to swim inland to the shores or so many attack people in such a short space of time.
"It's not normal. There is something that happened", Garranah commented.
Scientists, who were flown in by request of the Egypt government, are also baffled about the high number of recent attacks. They believe it could be down to a number of reasons including a cargo ship which has recently illegally dumped animal carcasses into the sea near the beach, giving sharks easy access; warmer sea temperatures; and the fish and shark feeding which is ecologically disruptive to marine life.
Government officials are now considering implementing patrol boats, specially-trained lifeguards and stricter enforcement and penalties on feeding bans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sharm El Sheikh Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Experience utter luxury as you enjoy eight days of uninterrupted R&R along Egypt's Red Sea shores. But apart from sun...
Egypt's Red Sea coastline is one of the country's leading tourist destinations, especially among UK holidaymakers as it...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...