Sri Lanka reaches target of 600,000 visitors for 2010
The Sri Lanka Tourist Board has revealed that the island nation has reached its target of 600,000 visitors enjoying Sri Lanka holidays this year, with the 600,000 arrival receiving a grand welcome at Colombo's Bandaranaike airport on 14th December.
The number of visitors taking Sri Lanka holidays has now reached 600,000 according to the Sri Lanka Tourism Board. The tourism board announced that the island's target was reached when the 600,000th visitor arrived at Colombo's Bandaranaike Airport at 15.40 on 14th December 2010.
Sri Lanka Tourism officials welcomed the British traveller who had arrived on his holidays in Sri Lanka and the chairman, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa presented the lucky arrival with a six-night holiday package which included Sri Lanka hotels and tours to a number of historic sites on the island.
Dr. Godahewa said: "This marks a significant moment in the history of tourism. Sri Lanka is now on the world map as a unique, safe destination."
He also praised the country's president, Mahinda Rajapaksa for his efforts in bringing the 30-year-long civil war to an end last year, which resulted in a 46 percent increase in travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka this year.
The Sri Lanka Tourism Board is now hoping to reach its target of 700,000 visitors to the island nation in 2011. Sri Lanka is situated in South Asia and surrounded by the sparkling Indian Ocean. The island features an array of nature parks, wildlife reserves, mountains, rainforests, and miles of pristine unspoiled beaches.
Travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays can hike through the national parks which includes Yala National Park in the southeast of the island where they can enjoy sightings of wild deer, elephants and peacocks, or the Wilpattu National Park in the northwest which is home to an abundance of flora, fauna and water birds including ibis, storks, and pelicans.
The island is also home to a number of historical monuments and sites including ancient temples, statues and traditional villages.
The coastline features stretches of white sand beaches which are fringed with forests and offer a tranquil spot for weddings abroad, romantic honeymoons or relaxing Indian Ocean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
For a taste of Sri Lanka choose Eden Rock Resort and Spa, the worthy winner of Trip Advisor'ss 2012 Certificate of Excellence Award
- All rooms have a Private Balcony or Terrace with a view of either the Garden or the Indian Ocean
- Rejuvenate at the Spa and Ayuveda Centre
- Access to Temptation - a Fine-Dining Restaurant - the 24-Hr Chameleon Cafe & more
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...