Playa Guiones - A Mecca for surfers on Costa Rica holidays
Surfers planning their Costa Rica holidays will find a little piece of paradise at Playa Guiones, a remote jungle hamlet with a beautiful pristine palm-infringed beach and crescent shaped cove which provides excellent surfing conditions.
Though Playa Guiones may not be as well known as the Gold Coast in Australia or the Northern shores of Hawaii, this picturesque beach offers excellent conditions for surfers enjoying their Costa Rica holidays.
The remote jungle hamlet is situated in the Nosara region on the central Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Playa Guiones features a crescent shaped cove with a pristine palm-infringed beach and excellent surfing conditions for visitors who have stepped off the commercial track and are seeking idyllic surroundings and a laid-back atmosphere during their holidays in Costa Rica.
The non-stop rolling waves offer excellent conditions for surfers whether they are beginners, or more experienced surfers looking for an endless ride.
The six-mile stretch of soft sandy beach and consistent waves attracts tourists on Costa Rica holidays and avid surfers but visitors won't find commercial fast food groups or high end expensive restaurants on this beachfront.
Instead, the area is dotted with local friendly restaurants and surf schools, and the larger Costa Rica hotels, resorts and restaurants are tucked away from within the lush jungle of the Ostional Nature Reserve with its howler monkeys, pizotes, exotic birds, iguanas situated just 200 metres inland, leaving the pristine stretch of light sand beaches unspoilt.
Surfers and tourists usually congregate on the northern end of Playa Guiones beach where the lack of rocks, safe currents and rolling waves are a Mecca for enthusiastic surfers of all levels.
The chilled out idyllic surroundings offer a fantastic spot for relaxation in the sun and if travellers are feeling restless, they can head off for a hike in the protected Ostional Nature Reserve which is teeming with exotic creatures and brightly coloured flora and fauna.
There are plenty of fishing opportunities along this stretch of coast and many of the local restaurants will be happy to cook any successful catches for a minimal charge so travellers can enjoy their sea bass, tuna, snapper, langoustines or prawns amid authentic Costa Rican surroundings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Learn more about Costa Rica with the unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...