Golfing Cuba holidays as Esencia announces 2011 golf events
Enthusiastic golf players embarking on Cuba holidays during April 2011 have a great golfing competition to look forward to. Taking place between 14-16 April in Varadero's Golf Club, the Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments will draw many golfers
For the delight of golfers planning Cuba holidays next year, Esencia Hotels and Resorts and Palmares SA announced that the 2011 Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments, in its third edition will be held in Cuba at the beach resort of Varadero.
The organisers secured The Open and US Open winner Tony Jacklin as guest of honor. “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses,” the British golfer said, according to an Esencia press release. “The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game … plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
Esencia plans to build a $300 million golf resort near Varadero and is among at least a half-dozen groups close to signing an agreement with the Cuban government; who welcome foreign investment in the Cuba holidays market. Palmares is the state company in charge of non-hotel tourism businesses.
The golfing even, to be held during 14-16th April 2011 at Varadero Golf Club will welcome participants from every nationality and include two tournament days of individual play. The winner of the Esencia Cup will be the player with the best individual net score. The Montecristo Cup will be given to the best individual gross score from those days. So if you play like a pro or at least think you do; how about entering the competition during relaxing beach holidays in Cuba? The competition is open to those with a handicap of 24 or under for men, and 30 or under for women.
In the last two events, golfers from the UK, Canada, Spain, Andorra, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and China, as well as Cuba, competed in the tournaments.
“It may be a measure of the bullishness on Cuba, but we have had a bunch of subscriptions so far, and there just seems to be a lot more interest,” an Esencia official told Cuba Standard. “Things are heading in the right direction.”
The Montecristo Cup is sponsored by cigar company Habanos SA, the British-Cuban joint venture that markets Cuban premium cigars worldwide.
The awards dinner will be held 16th April at the iconic Xanadu Mansion, built in 1930 as a residence of the wealthy Dupont family. The mansion is located within the grounds of the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...