Golfing Cuba holidays as Esencia announces 2011 golf events
Enthusiastic golf players embarking on Cuba holidays during April 2011 have a great golfing competition to look forward to. Taking place between 14-16 April in Varadero's Golf Club, the Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments will draw many golfers
For the delight of golfers planning Cuba holidays next year, Esencia Hotels and Resorts and Palmares SA announced that the 2011 Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments, in its third edition will be held in Cuba at the beach resort of Varadero.
The organisers secured The Open and US Open winner Tony Jacklin as guest of honor. “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses,” the British golfer said, according to an Esencia press release. “The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game … plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
Esencia plans to build a $300 million golf resort near Varadero and is among at least a half-dozen groups close to signing an agreement with the Cuban government; who welcome foreign investment in the Cuba holidays market. Palmares is the state company in charge of non-hotel tourism businesses.
The golfing even, to be held during 14-16th April 2011 at Varadero Golf Club will welcome participants from every nationality and include two tournament days of individual play. The winner of the Esencia Cup will be the player with the best individual net score. The Montecristo Cup will be given to the best individual gross score from those days. So if you play like a pro or at least think you do; how about entering the competition during relaxing beach holidays in Cuba? The competition is open to those with a handicap of 24 or under for men, and 30 or under for women.
In the last two events, golfers from the UK, Canada, Spain, Andorra, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and China, as well as Cuba, competed in the tournaments.
“It may be a measure of the bullishness on Cuba, but we have had a bunch of subscriptions so far, and there just seems to be a lot more interest,” an Esencia official told Cuba Standard. “Things are heading in the right direction.”
The Montecristo Cup is sponsored by cigar company Habanos SA, the British-Cuban joint venture that markets Cuban premium cigars worldwide.
The awards dinner will be held 16th April at the iconic Xanadu Mansion, built in 1930 as a residence of the wealthy Dupont family. The mansion is located within the grounds of the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...