Golfing Cuba holidays as Esencia announces 2011 golf events
Enthusiastic golf players embarking on Cuba holidays during April 2011 have a great golfing competition to look forward to. Taking place between 14-16 April in Varadero's Golf Club, the Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments will draw many golfers
For the delight of golfers planning Cuba holidays next year, Esencia Hotels and Resorts and Palmares SA announced that the 2011 Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments, in its third edition will be held in Cuba at the beach resort of Varadero.
The organisers secured The Open and US Open winner Tony Jacklin as guest of honor. “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses,” the British golfer said, according to an Esencia press release. “The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game … plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
Esencia plans to build a $300 million golf resort near Varadero and is among at least a half-dozen groups close to signing an agreement with the Cuban government; who welcome foreign investment in the Cuba holidays market. Palmares is the state company in charge of non-hotel tourism businesses.
The golfing even, to be held during 14-16th April 2011 at Varadero Golf Club will welcome participants from every nationality and include two tournament days of individual play. The winner of the Esencia Cup will be the player with the best individual net score. The Montecristo Cup will be given to the best individual gross score from those days. So if you play like a pro or at least think you do; how about entering the competition during relaxing beach holidays in Cuba? The competition is open to those with a handicap of 24 or under for men, and 30 or under for women.
In the last two events, golfers from the UK, Canada, Spain, Andorra, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and China, as well as Cuba, competed in the tournaments.
“It may be a measure of the bullishness on Cuba, but we have had a bunch of subscriptions so far, and there just seems to be a lot more interest,” an Esencia official told Cuba Standard. “Things are heading in the right direction.”
The Montecristo Cup is sponsored by cigar company Habanos SA, the British-Cuban joint venture that markets Cuban premium cigars worldwide.
The awards dinner will be held 16th April at the iconic Xanadu Mansion, built in 1930 as a residence of the wealthy Dupont family. The mansion is located within the grounds of the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...