Golfing Cuba holidays as Esencia announces 2011 golf events
Enthusiastic golf players embarking on Cuba holidays during April 2011 have a great golfing competition to look forward to. Taking place between 14-16 April in Varadero's Golf Club, the Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments will draw many golfers
For the delight of golfers planning Cuba holidays next year, Esencia Hotels and Resorts and Palmares SA announced that the 2011 Montecristo Cup & Esencia Cup golf tournaments, in its third edition will be held in Cuba at the beach resort of Varadero.
The organisers secured The Open and US Open winner Tony Jacklin as guest of honor. “Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses,” the British golfer said, according to an Esencia press release. “The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way, offering a challenging and enjoyable game … plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball?”
Esencia plans to build a $300 million golf resort near Varadero and is among at least a half-dozen groups close to signing an agreement with the Cuban government; who welcome foreign investment in the Cuba holidays market. Palmares is the state company in charge of non-hotel tourism businesses.
The golfing even, to be held during 14-16th April 2011 at Varadero Golf Club will welcome participants from every nationality and include two tournament days of individual play. The winner of the Esencia Cup will be the player with the best individual net score. The Montecristo Cup will be given to the best individual gross score from those days. So if you play like a pro or at least think you do; how about entering the competition during relaxing beach holidays in Cuba? The competition is open to those with a handicap of 24 or under for men, and 30 or under for women.
In the last two events, golfers from the UK, Canada, Spain, Andorra, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and China, as well as Cuba, competed in the tournaments.
“It may be a measure of the bullishness on Cuba, but we have had a bunch of subscriptions so far, and there just seems to be a lot more interest,” an Esencia official told Cuba Standard. “Things are heading in the right direction.”
The Montecristo Cup is sponsored by cigar company Habanos SA, the British-Cuban joint venture that markets Cuban premium cigars worldwide.
The awards dinner will be held 16th April at the iconic Xanadu Mansion, built in 1930 as a residence of the wealthy Dupont family. The mansion is located within the grounds of the Varadero Golf Club.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...