Royal wedding causing concern for firms as employees book holidays in April
The recently announced date of the famous royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton next year is already causing a few problems for UK firms as employees look to take advantage of the extra public holidays in April and May.
According to Croner, the organisation which helps businesses with human resources and health and safety legislation, the impending Royal Wedding of 2011 is causing a few concerns for many UK firms about the legal and cost implications of the extra public holidays in April and May.
Following the recent news of their engagement, Prince William and Kate Middleton have announced that they will be getting married on Friday 29th April 2011. Prime Minister, David Cameron, confirmed last week that the wedding day would also be a public holiday for the United Kingdom.
This will mean that employees will be taking advantage of a four day week in April followed by a three day week and another four day week because of the standard May bank holidays. Many employees are looking to take advantage of these extra days by booking Cuba holidays in April which will be cheaper than the summer months.
Senior Employment Consultant at Croner, Carol Smith, explained that despite employees celebrating the news of extra public holidays, many businesses are worried about the additional costs and operational difficulties during this period.
"We've already had a number of calls to our telephone advice line from employers asking if they have to grant the time off, and if they do, whether employees should be paid. The short answer is it really depends on what is written in their contract of employment," she said.
Caribbean holidays during April are often cheaper, so many travellers may choose to book their luxury escapes over this period in the lead up to the summer months which are often a more expensive period to travel in. The royal wedding is also expected to encourage many foreign travellers to book their holidays in April.
Prince William and his fiance will be getting married at Westminster Abbey and the archbishop of Canterbury is expected to conduct the royal wedding ceremony.
An official from Clarence House said: "William and Kate are very keen that it should be a classic British occasion with good spring weather: in sentiment, it's going to be that sort of day."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...