Chastanet says that St Lucia holidays' hotel industry is operational
After a quick recovery following the passing of Hurricane Tomas, St Lucia holidays are still working on regaining their tip top form to offer the idyllic and pristine St Lucia holidays, the island is famous for.
As it is widely known, the industry of St Lucia holidays are an essential economic service for the island and its citizens. "If the hotel industry is shut down, the economic impact and grief that it is going to create in this country, particularly in a time like this, where I know the Prime Minister and the Minister of Foreign Affairs are doing everything that is possible to reach out to international agencies, but the reality is, when you look at what took place in Haiti, and there are still Haitians waiting for help how many months later. And when you hear comments like the ones that are made by the government of Trinidad, where they’re going to have to evaluate the level of aid they are going to give us on the basis of what Trinidad would get in return, tells you the level of the task that lies ahead of the Prime Minister,” said Tourism and Civil Aviation Minister Allen Chastanet at a press briefing on Tuesday morning.
The minister together with the St Lucia Tourist Board and the St Lucia Hotel and Tourism Association met with the press to keep them abreast of the assessment of the island’s vital tourism sector, in order to keep pushing St Lucia holidays as one of the most pristine Caribbean holiday destinations. Chastanet commended the Castries City Council for it arduous work in getting the city back to a state of normality. “From what I’ve seen, the cleanup efforts in Castries, it has been improving hour by hour,” said Chastanet.
Speaking to the press, Chastanet noted the Prime Minister’s quote of $100m in damages is a conservative number and will be amended as time goes by. Further to that, he expressed confidence in the efforts of his cabinet colleague Guy Joseph and the Ministry of Communications, Works and Public Utilities. His main concern is the survival of the island’s fragile tourism industry.
Said Chastanet, “We have tremendous support from the airlines. LIAT commenced services on Monday to George Charles Airport. We are in discussions right now finalizing for LIAT and American Eagle to base a plane in St Lucia to act as a shuttle between here and Hewanorra at least for the next couple of days. Those planes will be charging US$50 per passenger one way. Virgin, British Airways and American Airlines are already servicing St Lucia. American Eagle has put on additional flights to St Lucia. They’ve also put on additional flights out of San Juan Puerto Rico so those people arriving in San Juan without reservations will be given priorities on those particular flights”
Chastanet reports that guests have been removed from the Soufriere area because of the uncertainty of conditions and have been accommodated at hotel in the north. The majority of hotels are operational right now and because some hotels have their own water reserves, Chastanet assured they will not be a burden on public water at this time.
Chastanet believes the dedication of hoteliers, their staff, tour operators and airlines will prove to be the driving force that keeps the industry afloat. Director of Tourism, Louis Lewis, left the island today to head to London for one of the world’s biggest tourism expos. Lewis believes the damage to the island is surmountable and there will be a lull in visitor arrivals before the island is returned to its peak.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
- Indulge in the relaxing services of the Royal Spa, featuring a range of ELEMIS products, perfect for relaxing and unwinding
Adults-only, All Inclusive Retreat with an inviting and warm atmosphere is what Bel Jou Hotel stands for
- Enjoy an array of both nature and culture excursions or relax at the Hotel Spa
- All Inclusive, Adults Only property set within lush tropical gardens with classic St. Lucian charm
- Experience Caribbean Flavour on the rooftop lounge bar and terrace with serene views over Castries and the Caribbean Sea
- Take advantage of free extras including a complimentary tour and complimentary wine in your room on arrival
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Two Worlds in One - 85 Acre resort with a family and adults only section
- $1000 worth of complimentary resort credit
- Save up to a fantastic 60% plus up to the 2 Children/Teens STAYS FREE
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
Discover Castries lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of up to 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Venture to a real Caribbean warmth and laid-back hospitality at the Coconut Court Beach Hotel, an exceptionally cosy...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...