Tasty Cuba holidays as a recovery of culinary traditions marks Havana's 491st Anniversary
As Havana gets ready to celebrate the 491st anniversary of the foundation of the city, the City's Historian Office has lined up a series of special events, one of which will be a culinary fest rescueing old cooking traditions and legendary dishes.
One of the features for the celebration Havana's 491st anniversary will be the recovery of culinary tradition as a part of this old city's culture; something that will be drawing many travellers on Cuba holidays to sample the town's best and most legendary dishes. Indeed, one of the initiatives is the first Conference on the Rescue and Promotion of Culinary Culture in Cuba, this will be sponsored by the City Historian's Office and the recreational company Habaguanex SA (also the brand behind all the historic hotels in Old Havana).
Over the last week, both institutions have hosted a variety of meetings, many in the Ambos Mundos Hotel, the famous corner hotel in Old Havana, well known as the refuge of the late American novelist Ernest Hemingway.
The city of Havana, first named "San Cristobal de la Habana" was founded on 16th November, 1519 in the shade of a ceiba tree, a historic monument that is standing as El Templete, where the first mass in Cuban was celebrated; a place many tourists choose to go during their Cuba holidays to take pictures of where it all started.
At these conferences uniting tourism and gastronomy experts, dubbed "Saborear a lo Cubano" (Tasting in Cuban Style), various dishes were presented and talks were given on subjects such as the characteristics of local cuisine, seafood, meats and products such as pork, origins, influences, pastries, and customs.
The list is long and also reflects interesting details such as the dish known as "Caldosa", a kind of stew containing various cuts of meats and vegetables.
The conference also addressed the quality of services, cigars, chocolate and coffee, and featured an interesting gourmet dinner for the delight of all participants enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...