Tasty Cuba holidays as a recovery of culinary traditions marks Havana's 491st Anniversary
As Havana gets ready to celebrate the 491st anniversary of the foundation of the city, the City's Historian Office has lined up a series of special events, one of which will be a culinary fest rescueing old cooking traditions and legendary dishes.
One of the features for the celebration Havana's 491st anniversary will be the recovery of culinary tradition as a part of this old city's culture; something that will be drawing many travellers on Cuba holidays to sample the town's best and most legendary dishes. Indeed, one of the initiatives is the first Conference on the Rescue and Promotion of Culinary Culture in Cuba, this will be sponsored by the City Historian's Office and the recreational company Habaguanex SA (also the brand behind all the historic hotels in Old Havana).
Over the last week, both institutions have hosted a variety of meetings, many in the Ambos Mundos Hotel, the famous corner hotel in Old Havana, well known as the refuge of the late American novelist Ernest Hemingway.
The city of Havana, first named "San Cristobal de la Habana" was founded on 16th November, 1519 in the shade of a ceiba tree, a historic monument that is standing as El Templete, where the first mass in Cuban was celebrated; a place many tourists choose to go during their Cuba holidays to take pictures of where it all started.
At these conferences uniting tourism and gastronomy experts, dubbed "Saborear a lo Cubano" (Tasting in Cuban Style), various dishes were presented and talks were given on subjects such as the characteristics of local cuisine, seafood, meats and products such as pork, origins, influences, pastries, and customs.
The list is long and also reflects interesting details such as the dish known as "Caldosa", a kind of stew containing various cuts of meats and vegetables.
The conference also addressed the quality of services, cigars, chocolate and coffee, and featured an interesting gourmet dinner for the delight of all participants enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...