Tasty Cuba holidays as a recovery of culinary traditions marks Havana's 491st Anniversary
As Havana gets ready to celebrate the 491st anniversary of the foundation of the city, the City's Historian Office has lined up a series of special events, one of which will be a culinary fest rescueing old cooking traditions and legendary dishes.
One of the features for the celebration Havana's 491st anniversary will be the recovery of culinary tradition as a part of this old city's culture; something that will be drawing many travellers on Cuba holidays to sample the town's best and most legendary dishes. Indeed, one of the initiatives is the first Conference on the Rescue and Promotion of Culinary Culture in Cuba, this will be sponsored by the City Historian's Office and the recreational company Habaguanex SA (also the brand behind all the historic hotels in Old Havana).
Over the last week, both institutions have hosted a variety of meetings, many in the Ambos Mundos Hotel, the famous corner hotel in Old Havana, well known as the refuge of the late American novelist Ernest Hemingway.
The city of Havana, first named "San Cristobal de la Habana" was founded on 16th November, 1519 in the shade of a ceiba tree, a historic monument that is standing as El Templete, where the first mass in Cuban was celebrated; a place many tourists choose to go during their Cuba holidays to take pictures of where it all started.
At these conferences uniting tourism and gastronomy experts, dubbed "Saborear a lo Cubano" (Tasting in Cuban Style), various dishes were presented and talks were given on subjects such as the characteristics of local cuisine, seafood, meats and products such as pork, origins, influences, pastries, and customs.
The list is long and also reflects interesting details such as the dish known as "Caldosa", a kind of stew containing various cuts of meats and vegetables.
The conference also addressed the quality of services, cigars, chocolate and coffee, and featured an interesting gourmet dinner for the delight of all participants enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...