Tasty Cuba holidays as a recovery of culinary traditions marks Havana's 491st Anniversary
As Havana gets ready to celebrate the 491st anniversary of the foundation of the city, the City's Historian Office has lined up a series of special events, one of which will be a culinary fest rescueing old cooking traditions and legendary dishes.
One of the features for the celebration Havana's 491st anniversary will be the recovery of culinary tradition as a part of this old city's culture; something that will be drawing many travellers on Cuba holidays to sample the town's best and most legendary dishes. Indeed, one of the initiatives is the first Conference on the Rescue and Promotion of Culinary Culture in Cuba, this will be sponsored by the City Historian's Office and the recreational company Habaguanex SA (also the brand behind all the historic hotels in Old Havana).
Over the last week, both institutions have hosted a variety of meetings, many in the Ambos Mundos Hotel, the famous corner hotel in Old Havana, well known as the refuge of the late American novelist Ernest Hemingway.
The city of Havana, first named "San Cristobal de la Habana" was founded on 16th November, 1519 in the shade of a ceiba tree, a historic monument that is standing as El Templete, where the first mass in Cuban was celebrated; a place many tourists choose to go during their Cuba holidays to take pictures of where it all started.
At these conferences uniting tourism and gastronomy experts, dubbed "Saborear a lo Cubano" (Tasting in Cuban Style), various dishes were presented and talks were given on subjects such as the characteristics of local cuisine, seafood, meats and products such as pork, origins, influences, pastries, and customs.
The list is long and also reflects interesting details such as the dish known as "Caldosa", a kind of stew containing various cuts of meats and vegetables.
The conference also addressed the quality of services, cigars, chocolate and coffee, and featured an interesting gourmet dinner for the delight of all participants enjoying holidays in Cuba at the time.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...