Sophisticated cruising Jamaica holidays with new port of Falmouth to be "world class"
With Jamaica's old por of Falmouth rapidly developing to become a world class mega-port, Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett told USA TODAY during an interview how the new port would enrich the Jamaica holidays industry and discussed plans for the island.
As the popular saying goes, good things come to those who wait, and that's definitely the case for the cruising Jamaica holidays industry with the soon-to-open cruise ship port in Falmouth. "It will be a world class mega-port," Jamaica tourism minister Edmund Bartlett told USA TODAY in an exclusive interview to discuss plans for the destination. "The (port) facility is state of the art, and the shore excursion experience that will be provided to visitors will be second to none."
Originally scheduled to receive its first cruise ships this year, the development of Falmouth's port was a bit delayed and still remains under works after construction delays that Bartlett blames in part on heavy rains during the fall. But he says he's confident that Jamaica holidays will be ready in time for several ships now scheduled to arrive in January with a Grand Opening scheduled for March.
Founded in the 1700s as a trading hub and once one of the Caribbean's busiest ports, receiving one too many passengers who arrived to holidays in Jamaica, Falmouth is noted for being one of the region's best preserved Georgian-era towns. Still, until now it hasn't drawn many tourists. It's located on the north coast of Jamaica less than 20 miles east of Montego Bay.
"The town is a Georgian architectural dream, and a lot of work is being done to restore and create the sense of the Georgian period," Bartlett explains .
Bartlett says the port will offer a wide mix of options for ships in the cruise holiday industry, including shopping. Already, all the major roadways in and around the town have been refurbished and repaved, and a number of historic buildings near the town's dock will have been restored by March, Bartlett says.
Still, Falmouth will be "a continual work in progress," he added. While the port facilities will be ready in early January, the historical part of the destination will take another year-and-a-half to be completely restored.
That said, Bartlett notes that while the average Caribbean port offers 40 tours for cruise passengers, Falmouth already has confirmed 60 tours for its debut.
The first ship now scheduled to arrive in Falmouth is Royal Caribbean's 3,114-passenger Navigator of the Seas, on Jan. 7. Other ships scheduled to begin visiting Falmouth in coming months include Royal Caribbean's 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas and, in March, the line's 5,400-passenger Allure of the Seas -- the world's largest cruise ship.
Allure's sister ship, Oasis of the Seas, originally had been scheduled to begin calling in Falmouth in May of this year.
Bartlett is predicting that, upon opening, Falmouth will create "a big buzz" in the world of cruise ship tourism. "We are the preferred destination in the Caribbean, and I think this new port is only going to add to the appeal of Jamaica," he concludes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...