Sophisticated cruising Jamaica holidays with new port of Falmouth to be "world class"
With Jamaica's old por of Falmouth rapidly developing to become a world class mega-port, Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett told USA TODAY during an interview how the new port would enrich the Jamaica holidays industry and discussed plans for the island.
As the popular saying goes, good things come to those who wait, and that's definitely the case for the cruising Jamaica holidays industry with the soon-to-open cruise ship port in Falmouth. "It will be a world class mega-port," Jamaica tourism minister Edmund Bartlett told USA TODAY in an exclusive interview to discuss plans for the destination. "The (port) facility is state of the art, and the shore excursion experience that will be provided to visitors will be second to none."
Originally scheduled to receive its first cruise ships this year, the development of Falmouth's port was a bit delayed and still remains under works after construction delays that Bartlett blames in part on heavy rains during the fall. But he says he's confident that Jamaica holidays will be ready in time for several ships now scheduled to arrive in January with a Grand Opening scheduled for March.
Founded in the 1700s as a trading hub and once one of the Caribbean's busiest ports, receiving one too many passengers who arrived to holidays in Jamaica, Falmouth is noted for being one of the region's best preserved Georgian-era towns. Still, until now it hasn't drawn many tourists. It's located on the north coast of Jamaica less than 20 miles east of Montego Bay.
"The town is a Georgian architectural dream, and a lot of work is being done to restore and create the sense of the Georgian period," Bartlett explains .
Bartlett says the port will offer a wide mix of options for ships in the cruise holiday industry, including shopping. Already, all the major roadways in and around the town have been refurbished and repaved, and a number of historic buildings near the town's dock will have been restored by March, Bartlett says.
Still, Falmouth will be "a continual work in progress," he added. While the port facilities will be ready in early January, the historical part of the destination will take another year-and-a-half to be completely restored.
That said, Bartlett notes that while the average Caribbean port offers 40 tours for cruise passengers, Falmouth already has confirmed 60 tours for its debut.
The first ship now scheduled to arrive in Falmouth is Royal Caribbean's 3,114-passenger Navigator of the Seas, on Jan. 7. Other ships scheduled to begin visiting Falmouth in coming months include Royal Caribbean's 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas and, in March, the line's 5,400-passenger Allure of the Seas -- the world's largest cruise ship.
Allure's sister ship, Oasis of the Seas, originally had been scheduled to begin calling in Falmouth in May of this year.
Bartlett is predicting that, upon opening, Falmouth will create "a big buzz" in the world of cruise ship tourism. "We are the preferred destination in the Caribbean, and I think this new port is only going to add to the appeal of Jamaica," he concludes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Discounted rates available for 2018 available for a limited time!
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....