Canadian tourists called on to travel wisely to their Caribbean holidays
Trying to educate Canadian travellers on the impact the holidays in the Caribbean they book have on local children, World Vision has called on them to be more aware of children's protection policies and codes of conduct at the hotels in which they stay.
Educating parents and children alike and giving them some food for thought during their Caribbean holidays; this National Child Day many were told to look about the wider environment and what it was like to be a child in those poorer countries. During Canada's National Child Day, last Saturday, 20th November 2010, World Vision called on Canadians to consider the millions of trafficked and exploited children around the world when they plan their Caribbean holidays.
Topping the list of favourite getaways for Canadians are Mexico holidays, Costa Rica holidays and Dominican Republic holidays. Unfortunately, these countries also find themselves topping the list of countries with high numbers of travelling child sex offenders and high rates of child trafficking.
While tourism boosts economies, it also creates a platform for trafficking and the abuse of vulnerable children. So World Vision is asking Canadians (and in this case we also urge worldwide and UK travellers to bear this in mind) to:
- Take responsibility for the impact of their own travel by researching hotels and travel companies to ensuring codes of conduct have been signed to protect children.
- Report the exploitation of children - labour, sexual or trafficking - that they witness while abroad (cybertip.ca).
- Deter any travel companions from engaging in such behaviours.
"Planning family vacations is an exciting and energizing time. We are quick to hunt for great deals but are oblivious to the issues within the countries we visit. Often, we are responsible for creating a platform for vulnerable children to be abused or trafficked. 'Ignorance is bliss' will no longer suffice as an excuse," said Caroline Riseboro, VP, Public Affairs, World Vision Canada.
World Vision has been combating child trafficking, forced child labour and the sexual exploitation of children for more than a decade in overseas projects. The agency works in nearly 100 countries where they do relief, development and advocacy with local communities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...