Canadian tourists called on to travel wisely to their Caribbean holidays
Trying to educate Canadian travellers on the impact the holidays in the Caribbean they book have on local children, World Vision has called on them to be more aware of children's protection policies and codes of conduct at the hotels in which they stay.
Educating parents and children alike and giving them some food for thought during their Caribbean holidays; this National Child Day many were told to look about the wider environment and what it was like to be a child in those poorer countries. During Canada's National Child Day, last Saturday, 20th November 2010, World Vision called on Canadians to consider the millions of trafficked and exploited children around the world when they plan their Caribbean holidays.
Topping the list of favourite getaways for Canadians are Mexico holidays, Costa Rica holidays and Dominican Republic holidays. Unfortunately, these countries also find themselves topping the list of countries with high numbers of travelling child sex offenders and high rates of child trafficking.
While tourism boosts economies, it also creates a platform for trafficking and the abuse of vulnerable children. So World Vision is asking Canadians (and in this case we also urge worldwide and UK travellers to bear this in mind) to:
- Take responsibility for the impact of their own travel by researching hotels and travel companies to ensuring codes of conduct have been signed to protect children.
- Report the exploitation of children - labour, sexual or trafficking - that they witness while abroad (cybertip.ca).
- Deter any travel companions from engaging in such behaviours.
"Planning family vacations is an exciting and energizing time. We are quick to hunt for great deals but are oblivious to the issues within the countries we visit. Often, we are responsible for creating a platform for vulnerable children to be abused or trafficked. 'Ignorance is bliss' will no longer suffice as an excuse," said Caroline Riseboro, VP, Public Affairs, World Vision Canada.
World Vision has been combating child trafficking, forced child labour and the sexual exploitation of children for more than a decade in overseas projects. The agency works in nearly 100 countries where they do relief, development and advocacy with local communities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...